Forum Index » GEAR » Merrell Glove

Display Avatars Sort By:
Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Merrell Glove on 04/05/2011 14:47:11 MDT Print View

So I bought a pair of the Merrell Trail Gloves with the intent to backpack in them. Also bought a pair of the Merrell True Gloves to get my feet used to them (I'm wearing them now at work, and will continue to wear them daily as my work shoes with no socks - until, perhaps, I get caught.....).

Very initial impression with these - they have a strange feeling fit that will take a bit of getting used to. They feel very snug at the front part of the arch, but plenty of room in the toebox. Exceptionally comfortable around the lower ankle. A really interesting feel.

After I get used to them I"m going to try doing my treadmill routine wearing them. Will report back when I do that, as well as how they feel on a backpacking trip.

Andy F
(AndyF) - M
Re: Merrell Glove on 04/05/2011 15:00:36 MDT Print View

Thanks for posting your impressions. I'm seriously considering these myself.

Steofan The Apostate
(simaulius) - F

Locale: Bohemian Alps
Merrell Glove on 04/05/2011 15:01:19 MDT Print View

I tried on a pair of the Merrell Gloves today.
VERY NICE!
Store clerk kept telling about all of the uses for these new "water shoes", none of which were hiking.

clay stewart
(Reluctantwaterhauler) - F
Gloves on 04/05/2011 15:06:45 MDT Print View

I've had the same shoes for a month or so and Iike them. I think I like the trail gloves better, for some reason. The tightness in arch area could just be too tight of lacing. I've done a few hikes in mine, with sore pads at the end, but I felt fine the next day. I also hope to be able to backpack with mine. It will be interesting to hear someone else's opinion.

>> Bender <<
(Bender) - MLife

Locale: NEO
Re: Merrell Glove on 04/05/2011 17:18:31 MDT Print View

Can you guys comment on the sizing? Do they run small, large or just right?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Merrell Glove on 04/05/2011 18:16:41 MDT Print View

Seem just about right. I normally wear an 8.5, which is what I bought in the Glove after trying them on.

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: WNC
Re: Merrell Glove on 04/05/2011 18:35:45 MDT Print View

I tried these and the NB Minimus and found both to have too much arch support but I've been going without for years so YMMV.

Edited by simplespirit on 04/05/2011 18:40:25 MDT.

Mat Tallman
(wehtaM) - F

Locale: Midwest
Glove/Minimus on 04/05/2011 18:39:03 MDT Print View

I've tried both on (did a mile on the treadmill in the minimus) and seemed to prefer the feel of the Merrell better, perhaps not surprising as my daily footwear is a very well-seasoned pair of Merrell Moab mids.

As soon as I feel the need to spend 100 bucks on shoes, the gloves might well be the purchase.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Merrell Glove on 04/05/2011 18:43:42 MDT Print View

Not really liking anything but the fit of my trail gloves.
They don't work well with socks. The material grabs socks and pulls them around creating friction zones.
They let in a ton of sand and stones.
There is an un-natural bump in the forefoot that I don't really care for.

If I am going to walk on pebbles, I might as well just go barefoot and save my money.

YMMV, but the only thing I like about these is the fit.

Edited by redmonk on 04/05/2011 18:45:44 MDT.

Mark Hudson
(vesteroid) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Sierras
my thoughts on 04/05/2011 19:34:26 MDT Print View

I have a pair of the trail ones. I have put 100 miles on them easy so far on my treadmill.

I like the fit and I even wear socks with them and have not found any real issue with thin socks.

I do feel that odd bump almost a little in front of where my arch ends as if its too far forward to be an arch support but...I dont know I do feel it and its only so far on my right foot.

I have not run on pebbles so I am not sure of the comfort, but I can say I think they are doind wonders for the strength of my feet. I am positive that my ankles and arches are stronger as a result of wearing them.

I had some pad issues at first, but as the other poster said they were all gone the next day and they diminished over time.

If it ever quits snowing here I will get back on the trails and let you know how they do out there.

(more snow is forecasted for thursday night)

Scott Lehr
(lehrscott4) - F

Locale: Louisville - KY
Run large for me on 04/05/2011 19:45:36 MDT Print View

We finally got these in today at the outfitter i work for and i wore them around the store for a few hours while i was working. First impression is they run big, im an 10 1/2 to 11 in trail runners, 43 in VFF and a 10 fit perfect in these. And i also dont like the weird hump just in front of my arch, more noticable on my left foot, and i tried a few pair to make sure it wasnt a flaw in a single pair. Im going to continue to wear them and see if they improve, but they arent taking the place of my Komodos yet.

Steofan The Apostate
(simaulius) - F

Locale: Bohemian Alps
Merrell Glove on 04/05/2011 21:58:39 MDT Print View

I went back tonight and bought a pair.
My feet are 10 1/2 D in dress shoes, 10.5 or 44 in trail runners, 43 in VFF Sprints and 11 in the Merrell Trail Gloves. I always start out with thin socks in the morning and either change to another pair or over to no socks halfway through the day.

Mike Whitesell
(madgoat) - F

Locale: Ohio
tough glove on 04/06/2011 06:03:45 MDT Print View

I ordered some tough gloves in sizes 13 and 14 from Zappos.com. 14 is my normal size, but I had heard that these tended to run small. The 14 fit my feet almost perfectly. The arch support on the shoe was placed a bit wrong for my foot and there was some painful rubbing and tightness at the front of each of my arches.

Except for that, I really loved how simplistic the shoe was. I regretted having to send them back.... My goal for them was to get a stylisticly acceptable zero drop shoe that I could wear to work. I spend the majority of my time in casual brown leather work shoes, so this would be the most ideal opportunity for me to start conditioning my feet properly.

FWIW, the Tough Gloves were $120 from Zappos. If you haven't used Zappos before, they offer free shipping on all orders, free return shipping and an awesome return policy. Great customer service.

Jeremy Malin
(jrmalin) - F

Locale: New England
Merrell Gloves on 04/06/2011 07:13:15 MDT Print View

It really seems like the Merrell Glove series is very hit or miss as far as fit goes. I have had the Trail Gloves for close to two months and they are still the most comfortable show I have ever worn. I have also had the Tough Gloves for about a month, and while not quite as comfortable as the Trail's, they are still quite good for me, especially compared to my other brown leather shoes that I wear for work (6 year old Merrell Passports). Living in NE, I haven't yet gotten out on the trail with them, but I have done a number of days where I probably walked 3+ miles in them. They definitely leave my feet sore at the end of a long day, but it is the muscles in my feet that are sore. No hot spots or rubbing anywhere for me. I have worn them barefoot, but most of the time (think NE, where we just got another few inches of snow for April fools day) I have been wearing them with a variety of different thickness smartwools. While the thickness of the sock does effect ground feel, I have been comfortable with everything from thin smartwool crew socks to the thick mountaineer weight socks (actually a pretty nice combination with the Tough Gloves when there is a couple inches of slush). I usually wear a 10 1/2, sometimes and 11 and I got the 11 in these, which at first felt big. Now that I have been wearing them pretty much all the time, my forefoot is more splayed (I believe that is the right word) and I need the extra room in the 11's.

In short, I love these shoes. Incidentally, my wife has both the Pure Gloves and Pace Gloves and also loves them both. She also does not get any hot spots or rubbing anywhere. She wears the Pace Gloves for treadmill runs (short ones, at this point) and to work (as a nurse, i.e. on her feet on hard floors for close to 8 hours). She wears the Pure Gloves at the gym for Zumba class (if you don't know what this is, ask your wife, gf, mother, daughter, sister, etc. One of them will know what it is. Or look it up on YouTube).

It seems like, if your foot is the right shape, then you are lucky. If not, you need to keep looking. That is somewhat unfortunate, since there still is not a lot of readily accessible minimalist shoes on the market.

I am very much looking forward to backpacking in the Trail Gloves, but I have not worn boots while backpacking in 12 years. If the weather was right, I just wore Chacos (I really hope that Merrell has Chaco make a minimalist sandal). Trail runners were my next choice.

If you are interested in a minimalist shoe, make sure that you can try it on and return it if it doesn't fit. Try on the Merrell's, the New Balances, and whatever else you can find. Make sure you don't size it to the current size of your foot (unless you have already been wearing minimalist shoes for awhile), because your foot will probably expand. I hope that some other can have the same experience that my wife and I have had. If anyone is still reading at this point, I apologize for the epistle.

David Passey
(davidpassey) - F - M

Locale: New York City
Trail Glove--Follow-up on 05/11/2011 09:59:05 MDT Print View

I'm still considering these shoes for week in the Wind Rivers this summer. Really, just to try something new. I don't mind sore feet resulting from my feet adjusting to the shoe (as I can adapt before the hike), but I'm not interested in stone bruising, etc.

Has anyone used these shoes on a backpacking trip or otherwise have thoughts?

Andy F
(AndyF) - M
Re: Merrell Trail Gloves on 05/11/2011 10:10:45 MDT Print View

I tried the Merrell Trail Gloves on in a running shoe store. They felt very strange with an unexplained bump just behind the ball of my foot and a vast expanse for spreading out my toes, which seemed like it would cause toe blisters on sidehills. Adding to the strange contrasts in this minimalist shoe was an overly-tight fit around the arch and heel, and heel last support (on the back/sides) which seemed to have been borrowed from a combat boot.

I ended up with a pair of Inov8 flite 230's, which feel like slippers converted into hiking shoes (in a good way).

Edited by AndyF on 05/11/2011 10:12:02 MDT.