Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » 7 Myths about the Continental Divide Trail

Display Avatars Sort By:
Addie Bedford
(addiebedford) - MLife

Locale: Montana
7 Myths about the Continental Divide Trail on 04/05/2011 14:30:31 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

7 Myths about the Continental Divide Trail

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: 7 Myths about the Continental Divide Trail on 04/05/2011 14:36:17 MDT Print View

Agreed

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
7 myths on 04/05/2011 15:18:56 MDT Print View

Awesome article Francis, makes it sound easy!

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: 7 myths on 04/05/2011 15:39:04 MDT Print View

Two great articles in one day. Am I in heaven? 1 backpacker in 2,000 miles? This is my kind of trip.

Again, another excellent article that only gives the reader a flavor of of what is out there, and leaves us wanting... more, which can be found by ourselves.

Wonderful!!

Philip Delvoie
(PhilipD) - MLife

Locale: Ontario, Canada
7 Myths about the Continental Divide Trail on 04/05/2011 17:23:25 MDT Print View

Ok...now Addie is just teasing us by putting 3 of these out in one day.

Good stuff Francis.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
re on 04/05/2011 17:26:05 MDT Print View

I like the three different perspectives of these CDT articles

Thanks

What's this about 7s anyway???

Addie Bedford
(addiebedford) - MLife

Locale: Montana
CDT-Theme on 04/05/2011 18:16:30 MDT Print View

I'm a sucker for a theme. Order, odd-numbered multiples, and great writing/photos make my heart beat faster!

These were really fun to work up. Thanks to all this week's authors!

Ryan Linn
(ryan.c.linn)

Locale: Maine!
Re: CDT-Theme on 04/05/2011 20:16:04 MDT Print View

Addie, you're torturing me!
Francis, very nice to hear about what not to listen to when I eventually get around to the CDT. I can't wait!

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: Re: 7 myths on 04/05/2011 20:18:48 MDT Print View

"1 backpacker in 2,000 miles? This is my kind of trip."

If you think about it another way, it's no backpackers in 2,000 miles.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Re: 7 myths on 04/05/2011 20:32:27 MDT Print View

"If you think about it another way, it's no backpackers in 2,000 miles."

Even better!!

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: 7 Myths about the Continental Divide Trail on 04/06/2011 11:26:00 MDT Print View

Great article. Thanks.

Ronald Strickland
(pathfinder)

Locale: USA
Excellent piece on 04/07/2011 06:51:12 MDT Print View

Many of my friends have hiked or are hiking the CDT. So I have wondered about the issues described in this article. Thank you for your many valuable insights.

Tim Cheek
(hikerfan4sure) - MLife
Myth #3 caveat on 04/07/2011 17:41:01 MDT Print View

I was in the San Juans the first week of June in 1977. If God had not ordained my legs to grow together at the waist I fear I'd still be sinking into that snow...

My sense is that there may be a window of opportunity depending on the snow fall and temperatures of a given year, but I would not say it is a myth.

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Locale: SoCal
Cool! on 04/07/2011 20:48:41 MDT Print View

Neat stuff. Thanks for sharing with us.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
7 Myths about the Continental Divide Trail on 04/07/2011 21:39:29 MDT Print View

It's really wonderful to have three great CDT articles the same week! They are making me homesick! I keep remembering those Wyoming winters of my youth, though, so I will stick to going back in summer hiking season.

Francis' yo-yo bit only leaves me in awe. At my tortoise-like hiking speed (5-7 miles per day) it would take me several years to go one-way! However, I've always noticed that the scenery looks quite different when you're going the other direction! That not only keeps out-and-back trips from being boring, but also brings to mind that a good safety rule is to turn around and look back occasionally so that you know what to expect on the way out.

Francis Tapon
(ftapon) - MLife

Locale: Earth
Re: Myth #3 caveat on 04/08/2011 04:58:11 MDT Print View

Tim, you make a fair point. I never said it would be easy! I just said it's a myth that you can't do go through Colorado in May. The fact is: you can do it.

Sure, you'll see more skiers and snowmobilers than hikers. And some days will truly test your patience. For example, one day my voice became hoarse because I was swearing so loudly after postholing for most of the day. I was swimming in snow. I probably did 1 mile every 2 hours.

Still, if you follow my get-up-at-4am-and-take-the-ridge advice, then you'll be able to do 20+ miles in a day even in May.

It ain't easy! But you can do it. :)

Thank you all for your comments!

Francis Tapon

Edited by ftapon on 04/11/2011 03:35:20 MDT.

Richard DeLong
(Legkohod) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus
CDT on 04/08/2011 08:15:10 MDT Print View

I think these new articles on the CDT will help popularize the trail among potential thru-hikers and help people see that it actually is a realistic endeavor. The CDT deserves to grow to the stature of the PCT and AT.

Francis, you did fail to address my own personal fear about... Grizzlies:)

Edited by Legkohod on 04/08/2011 08:48:47 MDT.

peter vacco
(fluff@inreach.com) - M

Locale: no. california
trail envy ? on 04/08/2011 10:04:34 MDT Print View

" The CDT deserves to grow to the stature of the PCT and AT. "

??????? wtf ?

-----------

sorry, just had to do that.

v.

Richard DeLong
(Legkohod) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus
? on 04/08/2011 13:24:00 MDT Print View

I don't understand your reaction. I'm talking about public awareness, number of thru-hikers, degree of trail organization, etc. Obviously it lags far behind the AT and quite a bit behind the PCT. That's what I'm talking about by "stature."

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Grizzlies on 04/08/2011 13:33:30 MDT Print View

I've backpacked in the Rocky Mountains a little, but now I'm fearful of Grizzlies.

I've heard they can attack humans.

I've encountered black bears in Oregon a couple times and they just ran away, so I'm not fearful of them.

Should I be fearful or is that an irrational fear?