Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Cheap Down Jacket
Display Avatars Sort By:
Troy Ammons
(tammons) - F
Cheap Down Jacket on 04/06/2011 13:41:53 MDT Print View

+2 on Cabelas.
Just watch and they will have another sale.

Got an olive XL for $25 and its pretty nice.
2 days later they dropped them to $20.
My luck.

Mine is an XL and it weighs 20oz.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-550-Goose-Down-Jacket/1087164.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dmens%2Bdown%2Bjacket%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=mens+down+jacket&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

carlos martinez
(gokyo) - F

Locale: west coast
NEW BALANCE FUGU on 04/06/2011 13:56:04 MDT Print View

There maybe a few NEW BALANCE FUGU left at recreational outlet for about 117$.It's a classic.

Cameron Melvin
(cameronm99) - F

Locale: Colorado Front Range
Follow-up on 04/07/2011 23:04:37 MDT Print View

Sorry. I've been tied up for a couple days and haven't had a chance to check back. To answer a couple of questions/additional info:
1) I wear a medium or a large depending on how I choose to layer. As a climber, I tend to layer out meaning that my puffy jacket tends to be my outermost layer.

2) Price on the jacket, if memory serves, was $49.95 before taxes and it was on a clearance rack. So it may go down in price before they're all gone. I thought it might be worth considering. I figured someone here might either have one, or have seen the same one and could give me an honest opinion.

3) Down isn't a requirement. Especially with the way I layer. A lightweight synthetic may actually be preferable. As I will use it as a belay jacket when rock climbing as well as when I go backpacking.

Thanks for all the responses. I'll have to do some more thinking.

nanook ofthenorth
(nanookofthenorth) - MLife
Eddie Bauer on 04/07/2011 23:16:22 MDT Print View

Eddie Bauer has some good sales, nice prices on down/synth if you stay away from their FA gear (and for their FA gear too).

Cameron Melvin
(cameronm99) - F

Locale: Colorado Front Range
Re: Decent cheap down jacket on 04/08/2011 02:11:13 MDT Print View

Scott,
How have you liked the jacket from Sportsman's Guide? At $40 it looks like a steal.

Edited by cameronm99 on 04/08/2011 02:28:51 MDT.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
synth on 04/08/2011 03:40:15 MDT Print View

synth is preferable for rock climbing i find because ...

- if you get caught out in the rain, just layer it with yr rain shell ... im sure some people here will yadda bout down being perfectly fine in a rain storm on a wall ... IMO theyve never had to do multiple rappels in the pouring rain and the waterfalls that cracks become

- 100-133g/m primaloft is good down to no lower than freezing ... ie micropuff, EB igniter ... 60-80g/m is good to no lower than ~40F for me

- get something with a hood, makes a huge difference in warmth on windy belays

- its very possible that youll get tears or holes at some point ... im sure that there are some people who have never scrapped their belay jackets climbing ... i say the same thing about seat belts, ive never gotten into an accident requiring one, doesnt mean i dont wear it .... if you tear your synth jacket, just patch it up when you get home ... if you tear yr down UL jacket, watch the feathers fly!