November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Cheap Down Jacket
Display Avatars Sort By:
Troy Ammons
(tammons) - F - MLife
Cheap Down Jacket on 04/06/2011 13:41:53 MDT Print View

+2 on Cabelas.
Just watch and they will have another sale.

Got an olive XL for $25 and its pretty nice.
2 days later they dropped them to $20.
My luck.

Mine is an XL and it weighs 20oz.

carlos martinez
(gokyo) - F

Locale: west coast
NEW BALANCE FUGU on 04/06/2011 13:56:04 MDT Print View

There maybe a few NEW BALANCE FUGU left at recreational outlet for about 117$.It's a classic.

Cameron Melvin
(cameronm99) - F

Locale: Colorado Front Range
Follow-up on 04/07/2011 23:04:37 MDT Print View

Sorry. I've been tied up for a couple days and haven't had a chance to check back. To answer a couple of questions/additional info:
1) I wear a medium or a large depending on how I choose to layer. As a climber, I tend to layer out meaning that my puffy jacket tends to be my outermost layer.

2) Price on the jacket, if memory serves, was $49.95 before taxes and it was on a clearance rack. So it may go down in price before they're all gone. I thought it might be worth considering. I figured someone here might either have one, or have seen the same one and could give me an honest opinion.

3) Down isn't a requirement. Especially with the way I layer. A lightweight synthetic may actually be preferable. As I will use it as a belay jacket when rock climbing as well as when I go backpacking.

Thanks for all the responses. I'll have to do some more thinking.

nanook ofthenorth
(nanookofthenorth) - MLife
Eddie Bauer on 04/07/2011 23:16:22 MDT Print View

Eddie Bauer has some good sales, nice prices on down/synth if you stay away from their FA gear (and for their FA gear too).

Cameron Melvin
(cameronm99) - F

Locale: Colorado Front Range
Re: Decent cheap down jacket on 04/08/2011 02:11:13 MDT Print View

How have you liked the jacket from Sportsman's Guide? At $40 it looks like a steal.

Edited by cameronm99 on 04/08/2011 02:28:51 MDT.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
synth on 04/08/2011 03:40:15 MDT Print View

synth is preferable for rock climbing i find because ...

- if you get caught out in the rain, just layer it with yr rain shell ... im sure some people here will yadda bout down being perfectly fine in a rain storm on a wall ... IMO theyve never had to do multiple rappels in the pouring rain and the waterfalls that cracks become

- 100-133g/m primaloft is good down to no lower than freezing ... ie micropuff, EB igniter ... 60-80g/m is good to no lower than ~40F for me

- get something with a hood, makes a huge difference in warmth on windy belays

- its very possible that youll get tears or holes at some point ... im sure that there are some people who have never scrapped their belay jackets climbing ... i say the same thing about seat belts, ive never gotten into an accident requiring one, doesnt mean i dont wear it .... if you tear your synth jacket, just patch it up when you get home ... if you tear yr down UL jacket, watch the feathers fly!