Forum Index » GEAR » Which Quilt?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Rakesh Malik
(Tamerlin)

Locale: Cascadia
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Which Quilt? on 04/06/2011 18:00:50 MDT Print View

> Wow! I don't think that a synthetic quilt would pack down so small.

My reaction was similar -- I was amazed that a quilt that could pack down so small could still be warm, but there you go. I guess the new synthetic fill (Climashield Apex?) that Ron Bell has been using is quite an improvement over its predecessors!

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

GoLite Ultra 20 on 04/06/2011 22:35:34 MDT Print View

The 19oz GoLite Ultra 20 was rated to 20F but the consensus on here is that it's more of a 30F quilt with it's 9.5oz of down. This would be a nice affordable option if you can find one. They appear moderately often in the gear swap. The MSRP was only about $240 and they were often on sale, so used ones usually go for a pretty sweet price. This quilt is also nice and wide. Width seems to be one of the common criticisms of the Katabatic quilts. If you are a bigger guy or a restless sleeper, you might find the katabatics too narrow.

Hendrik Morkel
(skullmonkey) - MLife

Locale: Finland
Katabatic on 04/07/2011 01:27:31 MDT Print View

I have been using a GoLite Ultra 20°, a Katabatic Sawatch and a BPL Cocoon quilt. All three are excellent quilts, but lately I tend to take the Sawatch as it is the most comfortable and warm. I am lean, 175 cm and about 66 kg and there's plenty of space for me under all those quilts.

You might want to check the new Katabatic quilts (the 22° one, iirc) which also looks like a great quilt. You can't really go wrong with any of them ;)

Serge G.
(sgiachetti) - M

Locale: Boulder, CO
+ 1 on katabatic on 04/07/2011 02:04:34 MDT Print View

I have the Sawatch and am amazed by its warmth. I've taken it way below its temp rating and been fine. I'd compare the quality to a western mountaineering bag (which I couldn't really imagine improving upon) and in size large weighs about what a lot of 30 degree sleeping bags weigh. If I could only have one bag/quilt for all seasons, it would be the sawatch, however, I'm thinking about getting the palisade or a 40 degree quilt thats supposed to be out in spring.

Mark Hudson
(vesteroid) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Sierras
Re: GoLite Ultra 20 on 04/07/2011 07:07:52 MDT Print View

Dan,

I thought these were 48" quilts?

As far as width vs comfort, here is what I have found. i wear an xl tall jacket and mot all xl are fine as far as fit (with the exception of being a bit short on me if I dont find a xl tall).

I sleep on one side or the other most of the night.

a 48" quilt wont work at all for me, if I am on my side I can count on an air gap on one side or the other.

a 52" quilt is just wide enough when I lay on my side to touch the ground on both sides of me. If I make some sort of attachment to the pad then its OK but I feel constricted as in a sleeping bag. So it works but I have to re-position it every time I roll over.

I have gone to a 58" and hope that lets me sleep with no adjustments most often or even if I do attach it somehow, it provides me more wiggle room. I know the weight of the 58 is creeping up but its still lighter than a sleeping bag and I went with both a 20 and 40 degree which I think with my other clothes I can use the 40 degree most of the year and save weight that way.

Just throwing out some size references for comparison.

Dustin Snyder
(DustinTSnyder)

Locale: Southeast
Re: + 1 on katabatic on 04/07/2011 08:31:22 MDT Print View

I just ordered a Katabatic gear 6'6" Palisade 30* quilt . I think the width of it will be fine for me because I am a bean pole. My golite quilt is 59" at the shoulders and it engulfs me. I really appreciate all the help in my quest for the perfect quilt!
Thanks
Dustin

John Vance
(Servingko) - F

Locale: Intermountain West
Katabatic on 04/07/2011 08:36:26 MDT Print View

Let us know what you think of the new quilt.

Dustin Snyder
(DustinTSnyder)

Re: Katabatic on 04/07/2011 08:40:16 MDT Print View

Will do.

Dug Shelby
(Pittsburgh) - F

Locale: Bay Area
JRB on 04/07/2011 13:45:44 MDT Print View

I have the JRB model of the Sierra Sniveller in long, and it comes in at just under 24 oz. Love it. Will be going with me on my PCT thru this month.

The TiGoat looks good. I'd go with that or the JRB, although I'm not a veteran quilted; I just know how much I like my JRB than my bag.

Dug
http://thf2.wordpress.com

Dustin Snyder
(DustinTSnyder)

Re: Katabatic on 04/09/2011 16:01:22 MDT Print View

OK. I got my new Katabatic gear quilt today and so far I complety love it!!! I was a little concerned about the size of the of the foot box (size 15 shoes are a little bulky!) but it is plenty big. I was amazed how narrow it is, BUT it is cut so well that it fits better than the golite 3-season long quilt. I can lay on my side without any thing close to a gap between the quilt and pad. The foot box is very well made and the diferencial cut makes it work very well for my large feet. I love the quilt and am excited about getting to use it.Thanks everyone who chimed in.
Thanks
Dustin

Edited by DustinTSnyder on 04/09/2011 16:03:42 MDT.

Ryan Krause
(rmkrause)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Wide Katabatics on 04/09/2011 19:13:00 MDT Print View

I asked Katabatic about wide versions of the quilts and below is the answer:

"Our goal is to have wide versions of all our quilts available by summer.

We expect to have the Alsek 22°F Wide available by May 1st, the Palisade 30°F Wide available by early June, and the Sawatch 15°F Wide available by late June / early July."

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Re: Wide Katabatics on 04/09/2011 19:16:08 MDT Print View

Existing shoulder girths are 52 inches.

So "WIDE" euals ? inches.......

Edited by wandering_bob on 04/09/2011 19:19:09 MDT.

Ryan Krause
(rmkrause)

Re: Re: Wide Katabatics on 04/09/2011 19:42:47 MDT Print View

When I asked they didn't clarify the width and I didn't bother to follow up to see what the width would be - so sorry don't know.

Ryan Krause
(rmkrause)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Which Quilt? on 04/09/2011 19:47:52 MDT Print View

Hey Rakesh - I've been looking at a Spirit 30 myself. MLD website puts the regular at 18 oz, did you weigh yours by chance? Do you feel the 30* rating is fair? Did you get the eVent option? How do you think it compares to the down quilt options? I looks to be a nice quilt but unfortunately cannot find much when searching about it on BPL other than one very exhaustive gear rating.

Edited by rmkrause on 04/09/2011 19:49:29 MDT.

Rakesh Malik
(Tamerlin)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Which Quilt? on 04/09/2011 20:18:37 MDT Print View

Ryan,

I don't have a scale yet... so I haven't weighed it (it's on the list after I finish moving and start my new job).

Mine is a large model, so it's a little bit heavier than 18 oz, but it's still surprisingly light. I've had it in chilly weather, but not quite freezing; it's kept me warm as long as I didn't let a draft in. I'm probably going to get a slightly wider one at some point (another "after I start working" item). I didn't cinch it up snugly though, which might have prevented the drafts when I rolled over at night. The 30 degree rating might be a little conservative, but I think the recommended temperatures that Ron has on the Spirit page are pretty close -- when I was out in autumn with my Spirit (it was cold enough for me to put on my down jacket while I was eating dinner), I wore only base layers when I climbed into bed. I kept extra layers close by in case I needed them, but the only time I felt cold is when I let a blast of cold air under the quilt. I guess I could have prevented that by snugging it up around me rather than running the straps under the pad. I haven't tried that yet.

I did get the eVent option on mine. I can't say how much of a difference it made, but I can say that I've been quite happy with that quilt, it's likely to be my choice for non-winter use. That's what the Blackwelder was for :)

Ryan Krause
(rmkrause)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Which Quilt? on 04/09/2011 20:41:31 MDT Print View

Thanks, Rakesh - that was very helpful.

Rakesh Malik
(Tamerlin)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Which Quilt? on 04/09/2011 21:06:06 MDT Print View

Hakuna matata!

:)