Display Avatars Sort By:
Dicentra OPW
(dicentra) - F

Locale: PNW
Tater Tuesday! Pepperoni Pizza on 04/05/2011 11:53:28 MDT Print View

DSC03251

Pepperoni Pizza Taters
Serves 1

1/2 cup instant mashed potatoes (roasted garlic or butter flavor)
2 tablespoons tomato powder
1/2 teaspoon onion flakes
1/2 t dried oregano
1 oz pepperoni slices, cut up
1 1 oz mozzarella or pepper jack cheese stick
red pepper flakes to taste (optional)

At home: combine everything except the cheese and pepperoni in a zip locking freezer bag. Place the pepperoni in a second bag and carry the cheese seperately.

In camp: add about 1 1/4 cups water to the mix. Stir in the chopped up pepperoni. Serve topped with the cheese.

Edited by dicentra on 04/05/2011 11:54:14 MDT.

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Tater Tuesday! Pepperoni Pizza on 04/06/2011 16:51:05 MDT Print View

I didn't get to try this until today. I didn't have pepperoni, so I got to try the freeze-dried sausage from Packit Gourmet that I recently bought. It worked great! I hydrated the sausage and onions separately from the potatoes, and I also added a little salt. Very tasty and satisfying.

I'm making a notebook of all the recipes I try and like, and I've categorized them by the main filler ingredient: potatoes, couscous, rice, and pasta. There's quite a good collection now, mostly from you and Sarah. Thanks for sharing all these and thanks for your great books and websites!

Dicentra OPW
(dicentra) - F

Salt. on 04/06/2011 17:33:15 MDT Print View

That would make sense with your substitution. The pepperoni is pretty salty, so you don't really need it as written.

Mushrooms would be a good addition too.

**ducks**

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Salt. on 04/06/2011 18:22:45 MDT Print View

Lots and lots of shrooms :-D

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

Bleah on 04/06/2011 20:43:41 MDT Print View

"Thanks for sharing all these and thanks for your great books and websites!"

I take it back! You two have an awful mean streak.

Edit - for those of you not aware of it, Sarah and Teresa know I hate mushrooms, so they enjoy teasing me. Our comments are in jest!

Edited by rosierabbit on 04/06/2011 21:07:14 MDT.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Bleah on 04/06/2011 21:53:15 MDT Print View

Lol......

I still smile about that time you gifted to me all the shrooms out of your Harmony House orders :-D

Funny thing is...after I had Walker I lost most of my desire to eat mushrooms. Weird. Loved them before I got pregnant but during and after, yeah...not so good. So I have quit eating them :-O

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

Success! on 04/06/2011 21:58:56 MDT Print View

Yes! I hope he threw them on the floor and walls if you ever tried to feed him any, as I predicted before he was born!

Dicentra OPW
(dicentra) - F

Mushrooms!! on 04/07/2011 10:00:29 MDT Print View

I just lined up a speaking gig for a local mycological society (in 2012). Kathleen should definitley come to that one!

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

Anything but mushrooms on 04/07/2011 11:38:29 MDT Print View

Is that the same mycological society that has a "Survivor's Dinner" every year? I'm pretty sure I'm going to be sick that day, whatever it is, so won't be able to make it.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Anything but mushrooms on 04/07/2011 13:57:07 MDT Print View

Why does this make me think of after a trip a couple years ago. Ford and I had stopped at the Copper Creek Inn for dinner after hiking at Rainier. There was a waitress who had come in with her "pickings" for the chef to look at (he apparently knew his fungi) and she had picked SO MANY poisonous ones :-O

John Devitt
(cabana) - MLife

Locale: Colorado
taters on 04/07/2011 19:47:08 MDT Print View

Thanks for sharing another recipe. I enjoy trying your meals as I have no skills in this area.
Regards,
John