Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Reverse will Camelbak without pump

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Elsey
(paintballswimguy) - F

Locale: Kansas City
Reverse fill Camelbak without pump on 04/04/2011 20:06:49 MDT Print View

I'm trying to rig up a way to reverse fill my camelbak without a pump. Basicly, I want to use a soft sided nalgene canteen or platapus canteen 1L to fill the camelbak.

Basically, i want to use a steripen on the 1 L canteen with freshwater. Connect it via a hose connection to my empty camelbak which is still inside my pack, Squeeze the canteen to force the water into my pack. And end up with a full camelbak, without ever emptying my backpack.

This is the hydration system i already have, which already has the female quick disconnect built in. camelbak

I also have a few other 3 L bladders that i can harvest hose from. Has anyone tried this, or can anyone offer suggestion.

Edited by paintballswimguy on 04/05/2011 13:09:38 MDT.

Curtis B.
(rutilate) - MLife

Locale: New England
a Platypus Big Zip is easier on 04/04/2011 21:06:49 MDT Print View

I found that it was just easier to migrate over to the Platypus Big Zip. Depending on my carry method, I could refill this from my 1L purification bottle without removing it from my pack. Much easier, and a lighter weight option to boot.

David Goodyear
(dmgoody) - MLife

Locale: mid-west
platy on 04/05/2011 04:30:18 MDT Print View

Katadyn makes a quick-release connection kit that splices into the hose. It makes it so you can hook the pump hose directly into the bladder hose. I modified one to work with a gravity filter. I'm sure it would be an easy mod to use it with a nalgene canteen. Nalgene makes a replacement lid that turns your canteen into a bladder. Just combine the two.

http://preparedness.com/nanabitudrtu.html

http://www.allfilters.com/campingfilter/accessories/katadyn-hydration-pack-adapter

have fun
Dave

Edited by dmgoody on 04/05/2011 04:31:01 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: platy on 04/05/2011 06:58:37 MDT Print View

That Nalgene adaptor is for the small mouth bottles. Non-compatible for Steri-pen users.

Ryan Elsey
(paintballswimguy) - F

Locale: Kansas City
Curtis... on 04/05/2011 13:21:53 MDT Print View

Curtis, how are you able to refill the big zip without removing it from your pack. I'm using a ULA circuit, and i'm not really a fan of repacking my pack around my bladder every time I refill my water. Rerouting the drinking tube isn't the problem, its taking the hydration bladder all the way out every time that drives me crazy.

Curtis B.
(rutilate) - MLife

Locale: New England
Re: Curtis... on 04/05/2011 13:43:44 MDT Print View

Yeah, if your pack is really tight fitting that's a problem. When I'm wearing my Osprey with the aircore I'm able to put the bladder between the aircore and the bag. When I'm in a smaller pack, I have a 3L Platy and the best I can do is reach one hand down in to move gear out of the way and pour water in the top. With the zip it works well because it'll open wide at the top so I don't worry about spilling. Sometimes the best I can do is get 2.5L in the bladder.

Ray Bailly
(tempestv) - F
Gravity feed would probably work. on 04/05/2011 13:44:31 MDT Print View

I've been playing around with a gravity feed filter system. I recently tested how well it could be used to fill my source bladder in my backpack, and it worked surprisingly well. My setup is a Sil-nilon water proof stuff sack with a hose fitting on the bottom, and about 3' of hose, and then the filter, and a connection to hook to the quick connect on the bladder hose. To test how well gravity would fill the bladder, I started by filling the bladder from the faucet. Then I packed the backpack completely full, around the full bladder. When the backpack was as packed as I could get it, I emptied the bladder. I filled the stuff sack with 2 liters of water and hung it about 6-7 feet off the ground, with the backpack sitting on the ground, and hooked together the hoses. Finally, I opened up the system and timed how fast it ran. The two liters of water in the stuff sack emptied into the bladder bag in about 20 minutes. This is with a cheap crappy filter I had sitting around, which doesn't flow very well. In fact, it takes about 15 to 18 minutes to drain 2 liters out onto the ground, so letting it flow into the bag didn't really slow it down that much. I think that with a better filter, I'll have a real light and easy to use setup that works about as fast as a pump. Even if it is a little slower, the fact that I can set it up and go do other things still gives it the advantage.

If the intention is to use a steri-pen, would it work to use a water proof stuff sack instead of a water bottle? the stuff sack would probably be lighter, and it could then be used for gravity feed.

Mark Hudson
(vesteroid) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Sierras
still a pain in my opinion on 04/05/2011 13:45:37 MDT Print View

I had a big zip and I tried what he is suggesting. Think of it like a big ziplock bag. Sitting in your hydration sleeve in your circuit, you "can just open the zipper and pour in the water without removing, but I found this to be a lot easier in theory than practice. If you have your pack stuffed, it doesnt matter that you can unzip the top, you cant hold it open enough and the pack stable and pour the water without spilling into your pack (at least I cant if the pack is really full)

I just use a hoser now and put it in my side pocket to get around all this. Its lighter than the big zip and I fill it outside my pack.

One little catch is its a small opening so its not the easiest thing to fill from a nalgene but if you spill its outside. I use a steripen too when I am solo.

David Goodyear
(dmgoody) - MLife

Locale: mid-west
nalgene adapter on 04/07/2011 15:30:30 MDT Print View

Sorry for the bad link, but I own a wide mouth adapter, so I know they make them.I used it on the wide mouthcanteen to convert it to a bladder. I'll try to get you a link. I have used the Katadyn quick release adapter system with a gravity feed filter with good results and I dont have to remove the platy from my pack. Just saying - sometimes you don't have to re-invent the wheel.

Heck, just PM me and I'll give you the nalgene adapter, I don't use it anymore.

Dave