Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
actual cuben tent test
Display Avatars Sort By:
Tyson Marshall
(sheepNgeese) - MLife

Locale: Ventura County (formerly PNW)
Re: Ure What? on 04/07/2011 14:11:08 MDT Print View

Dan, no problem. Feel free to pick Corey's brain. He's been dealing with SOF boats for a long time. He's brilliant. He collects all his wood (yellow and red cedar) from the forests around here - usually stumps and fallen tress. He moved to Anacortes specifically for the wood. In his opinion, it's the best wood to use for SOF boats. He naturally ages and dries all his wood and cuts everything with the grains and ends up with phenomenal pieces of wood to work with. (He uses a bandsaw from 1905 to cut most his pieces) After everything is cut and sanded down to shape and size, he coats the wood with 100% limonene (imported from Florida) and 100% tung oil (imported from Brazil) blend. The entire frame is held together with artificial sinew (nylon) and bamboo pegs (cut to size from chopsticks) - that's it.

I'm getting a little crazy on describing everything he does, but I find it incredibly fascinating.

Full disclosure: I'm hooked.

Anyways, all that to say, he's set his mind to making some of the best Bairdarkas in the world, imho. I paddled one of his boats he made over 10 years ago... all original... no seat...sat directly on the floor...and it still paddled like a gem.

Edited by sheepNgeese on 04/07/2011 14:13:45 MDT.

Brendan Swihart
(brendans) - MLife

Locale: Fruita CO
Bairdarkas on 04/07/2011 17:12:22 MDT Print View

My dad built a bairdaka with Corey a couple years ago. Unbelievably cool boat. I hung out for a couple days that they were working on them (assume you're doing yours at the center for wooden boats???) and like you said, the simplicity is unreal.

Tyson Marshall
(sheepNgeese) - MLife

Re: Bairdarkas on 04/07/2011 17:21:26 MDT Print View

I'm actually just building it at Corey's house in Anacortes (He has an spectacular workshop and it's nice to see all the stumps and raw wood he's using) My girlfriend and I are going up there on the weekends and staying in his tree house. It's nice because we can just stay in the workshop as late as we want and work on whatever we can or want to.

We are both building Baidarkas. My gunnels are 15' 8" which will put my boat length at 17' 10" and my girlfriend's gunnels are at 15' which puts her boat length at 17' 2". Once we finish our boats, we'll also be making Aleut paddles. Everything is absolutely superb. Great teacher, too.

How does your dad like his Baidarka? Is your dad using an Aleut paddle? Have you taken it out?

Brendan Swihart
(brendans) - MLife

Locale: Fruita CO
Re: Bairdarkas on 04/07/2011 17:38:28 MDT Print View

yeah he did an Aleut paddle as well. I've taken out a couple times on lakes but nothing too serious. I'd love to build one sometime though and do more with it.

ziff house
(mrultralite) - F
don't on 04/07/2011 20:04:20 MDT Print View

see how cuben would work as a boat skin, primarily because it doesn't stretch. Folding wear would never get to be an issue. On the other hand there might be a way to make bubble wrap floats with it, just a matter of finding a way to grip the supporting tubes.

Tyson Marshall
(sheepNgeese) - MLife

Re: don't on 04/08/2011 12:33:38 MDT Print View

"primarily because it doesn't stretch"

Agreed.

One of the unique things about a skin on frame boat is the frame's ability to bend and snap back to original form - in rougher conditions the chines become quite dynamic but appear, in calmer conditions, static. This would, I would think, affect the boat's skin...

ziff house
(mrultralite) - F
Tyson,that on 04/08/2011 20:14:27 MDT Print View

lifestyle'' if that's what it is, sounds very idyllic. Thats quite close to me here in BC, wouldn't mind paying a visit, though i would just be a looky-loo .

Tyson Marshall
(sheepNgeese) - MLife

Looky-loo on 04/09/2011 12:34:19 MDT Print View

I'm sure Corey wouldn't mind. The first day out there, my girlfriend and I stopped by just to see what was going on and he gave us a 4-hour lecture about modern, Greenland, and Baidarka kayaks and then took us to the beach and we took out a few different size Baidarkas to get an idea which size we were shooting for.1<6543img src="/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1302374187_40970.jpg" alt="2" width="550" height="410">

Edited by sheepNgeese on 04/09/2011 12:37:18 MDT.

Tyson Marshall
(sheepNgeese) - MLife

Finished on 10/22/2011 12:21:56 MDT Print View

OneTwo

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Nice looking kayak! on 10/22/2011 12:49:32 MDT Print View

Nice boat! I have been toying with the idea for almost a year. I have to get some sort of design together and critique it, first, though.

Thanks for sharing!

ziff house
(mrultralite) - F
Hey on 10/25/2011 00:39:05 MDT Print View

Tyson you got 'er done , looks great, how is it to paddle?

Tyson Marshall
(sheepNgeese) - MLife

Re: Hey on 11/01/2011 16:15:48 MDT Print View

Though I don't have much to compare it to, I find paddling it an absolute joy. Quiet, lots of rocker (including the dynamic of multiple chines), fast, light, sexy, and sweet :)

I also love the Aleut paddle I made -- for nice, peaceful turns I grab the blade of one end and do a long, sweeping stroke. I can't imagine using a modern paddle with such a beautiful boat.

I just acquired a new drysuit so I'm ready to have an excellent, paddling winter.