Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Hope, BC
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dicentra OPW
(dicentra) - F

Locale: PNW
Hope, BC on 04/04/2011 10:45:14 MDT Print View

Hope BC Trip Report. Part 1

Friday I loaded up the car and headed north. I had no issues getting through customs, despite the fact that my car was packed with bins of strange things. I arrived in Hope around 4pm and met my amazing hosts for the weekend.

I quickly found out that I had met Lookout at the ALDHA-West Gathering in 2008. She heard me speak at that event and it is her I have to thank for the opportunity of teaching in Hope. I still feel bad that I didn’t remember her.

Their home is right on the river, with a backyard full of native plants and wild birds. Lovely! It is easy to see why they’d want to live here.

Scott and Lookout took me up to Camp Squeah to check out the facility and make sure everything was in order for my class on Saturday. What a beautiful place!

Then it was off for a grocery store tour! Three stores and 4 hours later… I spent about $40-50, only buying things I’ve never seen in the states. Stay tuned for some interesting product reviews and recipe ideas. My hosts were great sports. I hope thy got some good food ideas after following me down aisle after aisle. Product and price comparisons were fascinating to me. For example, in Canada (at least in the stores I saw), red lentils cost about ¼ of what they cost here. On the other hand, quinoa is ridiculously expensive.

By the time we finished with the groceries, complete with my husband’s request of “Canadian Candy” (already mostly eaten), we were all starving and headed back to the house for dinner. Scott made homemade pizza. The dough was even homemade. Yum yum yum! It is a rare treat for me to have someone else cook dinner. We also had wine made by Scott and Lookout. Very cool.

Saturday morning was the main event! After a quick breakfast, and really good coffee, we headed off to Camp Squeah. What?! Road closed? WORRY!! It ended up being okay. There was a landslide further up the highway, but we were allowed through. It was 38*F outside. Brrr!

The talk was to be held outside. I had 19 attendees, plus Scott, who gave me a raving introduction. At least half of the class were kayakers, so it was interesting to hear how my food ideas could work for a different sport. After a short while, our feet started getting cold, so we moved the class inside so we could all warm up.

We had to cook outside, however, but I think people were okay with being outside as long as I kept feeding them warm food. I think the favorite part of the whole day, aside from eating yummy food, was the “look what I found right here in Hope yesterday” show and tell. At least two of the ladies from the class went straight from the class to the grocery store. Cool!

After the talking part of the class, I did some cooking, with Lookout and Scott’s help. I made three recipes from book #1 (Ginger Lemonade, Alice Lake Alfredo Gnocchi and Trail Tiramisu), which was the plan, but then we also rehydrated some of the examples I brought as well. We tried dried canned minestrone soup, lentil stew and blackyed pea stew (both crock pot recipes) and a split pea and bacon soup that is slated for book #2.

Lookout pointed out at dinner that night that my “Italian theme” was a hit. I hadn’t even planned on having a theme, but she’s right. So much fun! The class ran almost a full hour over schedule, with people lingering around to chat and ask questions. I’ll take that as a good sign.

To be continued...