Forum Index » Gear Lists » Ultralight generic gear list

Display Avatars Sort By:
Brendan L
(mechB) - F

Locale: Washington DC
Something to add on 04/04/2011 12:30:33 MDT Print View

The list looks like it covers everything, but one thing you may include if you were creating a reference list for someone would be "weight targets" and descriptions of the function of each item. (i.e. format it like this list from NOLS. It's is from their lightweight backpacking course in the Wind River Range. Of course you could revise the items and their respective "weight targets" to your own preferences.

Also, in defense of Mike Clelland, not using TP is really not as nasty as it sounds. Sticks, leaves, pine cones, rocks (smooth rocks...make sure they're smooth), grass, etc. works a whole lot better than you would think. If you're on a long trip and it starts to hurt too much, you can switch to TP. For me, it's not the weight penalty that matters, it's the fact that running into toilet paper in the wilderness is a huge downer. It makes me feel like I'm in some sort of dirty high school locker room bathroom.

Mike Clelland
(mikeclelland) - MLife

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)
Right On for Brendan! on 04/04/2011 12:54:41 MDT Print View

I heart Brendan!

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Ultralight generic gear list on 04/04/2011 13:06:56 MDT Print View

If you're going to take TP, you need plastic bags in which to pack it out. Since I'm a Freezer Bag Cooking (really rehydration, not cooking) fan, mine goes into the used freezer bags.

Those who are susceptible to bladder infections or external irritation, or who have hemorrhoids, can't get along without TP and, often, moist towlettes such as baby wipes without heading for disaster. The majority in those categories are female. I just happen to be in all three, and have a physician-prescribed toilet routine that I can't ignore just because I'm backpacking. On the other hand, there's no way I'll leave any paper behind in the wilderness!

Edited by hikinggranny on 04/04/2011 13:08:15 MDT.

Ginger Allman
(gindavall) - F

Locale: Ozarks
Yay Mary! on 04/04/2011 14:02:59 MDT Print View

I heart Mary!

(I've done lots of searching on this site for how women deal with these issues on the trail and there's been nary a word. Talk of wearing one pair of undies for days on end and not using TP/wipes just doesn't work for women. But like Mary, I pack out everything.)

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: Ultralight generic gear list on 04/04/2011 17:02:54 MDT Print View

Dale -- I like your list. It is vendor agnostic. Unlike some other lists. Why don't you put it up the Wiki?

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Ultralight generic gear list on 04/05/2011 09:21:18 MDT Print View

This was added to the Wiki yesterday (presumably by Dale, but I don't remember exactly).

http://wiki.backpackinglight.com/Category:Gear_List

Edited by sharalds on 04/05/2011 09:22:54 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Ultralight generic gear list on 04/05/2011 18:20:52 MDT Print View

Timothy Premack wrote:

"Dale -- I like your list. It is vendor agnostic. Unlike some other lists. Why don't you put it up the Wiki?"

I added it to the Wiki.

And yes, the idea was to create a basic list of the *kinds* of items that are typically included, rather than specific brands and models. It will change with time, but I don't think it will be outdated as fast as more specific lists. Hopefully, it will be a little less daunting for a newcomer to understand. It should contrast nicely with other, more traditional backpacking gear lists and teach by example-- what to leave out!

Like I said, the devil is in the details :)