Forum Index » GEAR » Best mug for morning coffee?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Joshua Billings
(Joshua) - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca
mont bell 600 cup on 04/13/2011 23:30:44 MDT Print View

I use the Mont bell 600 cup. 2.8 ozs. Nice big cup and nice handles.also the caldera caddy is a nice big cup.when I take my whole family camping we use an extra caddy to hold all of our forks and cups.the threads are a little hard to wash but such is life.

Jeremy Greene
(tippymcstagger) - F

Locale: North Texas
.5l rigid Nalgene for coffee on 04/14/2011 08:24:08 MDT Print View

Doubles as a sock dryer, sleeping bag/pocket warmer. The rigid model tastes fine for coffee, soft one is OK, but tea only. Opening is slightly smaller than the 1l size (touches my nose) but fits in pockets better. Others have described this system.

I use the 2 cup Ziploc (mentioned above) for hydrating oats/rice and will toss it in a jacket or sleeping bag, but it's seal isn't secure enough to do that when full of hot water. I met a thruhiker this weekend who soaks beans in them before cooking. I didn't ask if it leaks in his pack.

Tuck this combo inside a jacket, and I'm toasty. Good for making breakfast or lunch to-go in winter.

Justin McMinn
(akajut) - F

Locale: Central Oklahoma
Re: Best mug for morning coffee? on 04/14/2011 08:28:05 MDT Print View

I have been using a SP 700 mug as my pot/mug/bowl, and have recently added a dedicated mug/bowl. I got tired of burnt lips for the first sips and cold coffee for the last sips, not to mention the later starts because I could only single task (couldn't start making oatmeal until I finished with coffee). The standard Nalgene bottle has a slightly smaller diameter than the SP 700, so I purchased one of the soft sided 1 liter bottles like the one here - http://asthecrowflies.org/2008/04/24/the-possibly-safer-nalgene/ and cut it in half after I froze water in it. It weights 1.6 oz, insulates better than Ti, has a measurements on the side, and I babushka doll the CC ULC, Nalgene cup, and SP 700 together into one compact package.

Edited by akajut on 04/14/2011 08:31:50 MDT.

james w glenn
(bark-eater) - F
I like a metal cup when its realy cold... on 04/14/2011 09:48:11 MDT Print View

cause it keeps your hands warm, and if you've got a fire or wood stove you can keep a cup of tea or coffee warm by placeing it in, on or near your fire.