Forum Index » Philosophy & Technique » Hilarious video on "How to go backpacking".

Display Avatars Sort By:
Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
Hilarious video on "How to go backpacking". on 04/03/2011 13:34:19 MDT Print View

I never new you could use Tupperware as an animal proof food storage container...I guess i'll need a -15F bag for all my trips, too! The sad part is that over 8000 people have viewed this video and probably took it as gospel.

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/how-to-pack-for-a-camping-trip/1io42956y?q=Howcast+camp&rel=msn&from=en-us_msnhp&form=MSNRLL&gt1=420

-------M

Edited by bigfoot2 on 04/03/2011 13:42:11 MDT.

Matthew Zion
(mzion) - F

Locale: Boulder, CO
Re: Haha on 04/03/2011 14:47:21 MDT Print View

Oh that was classic. My favorite part was 'Don't forget your snake bite kit' haha.

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
Re: Re: Haha on 04/03/2011 14:53:18 MDT Print View

far out.

Edited by mikeinfhaz on 04/03/2011 14:55:54 MDT.

Rob Vandiver
(ShortBus) - M

Locale: So Cal
Re: Hilarious Video on 04/03/2011 15:08:32 MDT Print View

"Enjoy the great outdoors!.

Oh, and did you know that black bears can run up to 35 mph?"

Great way to end the video.

Ryan C
(radio_guy) - MLife

Locale: OH & AK
Re: Hilarious video on "How to go backpacking". on 04/03/2011 21:30:08 MDT Print View

What was that?! Wow. Was that really intended to be helpful or scare people off? Bet they don't make it 1/2 mile from the parking lot.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Hilarious video on "How to go backpacking". on 04/03/2011 22:03:03 MDT Print View

Love her carrying all her stuff with no pack. And hiking in wellies.

Jason Delso
(zencarver) - MLife

Locale: DFW
... on 04/04/2011 10:47:11 MDT Print View

I don't think she packed enough water.

Ben Smith
(goosefeet) - MLife

Locale: Georgia
Re: Hilarious video on "How to go backpacking". on 04/04/2011 11:20:43 MDT Print View

Remember, this is "How to pack for a camping trip" not what to bring on a backpacking trip. Most of us do our "camping" 10 miles from the nearest highway. I think the goal here was being able to walk 100 yards from your vehicle and have what you need...

:)

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

"How to pick a campsite" video. on 04/04/2011 11:24:15 MDT Print View

Get a load of this related video..."how to pick a campsite". I love the guy hiking with the hatchet.

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/how-to-choose-a-camping-location/1iosig1ly?rel=msn

--------M

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

"How To Survive A Cougar Attack" video. on 04/04/2011 11:33:02 MDT Print View

MSN is just a wealth of camping knowledge:

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/how-to-survive-a-cougar-attack/1iojw1wo4?rel=msn

will sawyer
(wjsawyer) - F

Locale: Connecticut
Re: Hilarious video on 04/04/2011 11:43:37 MDT Print View

are these both made by the same people?

1. "especially when camping at high elevation, it can get very cold at night. bring a sleeping bag rated to at least -15* F"
2. "remember that hot air rises, so pick a campsite at higher elevation so that it will be warmer at night."

I paraphrase, but you get my point.

-Will

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Hilarious video on 04/04/2011 17:02:24 MDT Print View

> hot air rises, so pick a campsite at higher elevation so that it will be warmer at night."

This is not entirely silly. In our Alpine region the valleys are often grass-lands, while the hills are tree-covered. That is because the cold air sinks into the valleys, creating what we call 'frost-hollows'. They are so cold that trees can't grow there.

Camping at the bottom of one of these valleys can be a chilly experience - I know! In fact, I have some photos of an open frost-covered valley with the frost cutting out just a little up the surrounding hillsides.

Cheers

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
cold valleys on 04/04/2011 18:24:41 MDT Print View

Yeah, I also got firsthand experience with cold valleys when I hiked the Superstitions in Arizona during winter.

Ice, frost, and very damp/cold air. Made for a rather uncomfortable night, actually. Our very windy hilltop camp the night before was much more enjoyable.

Gregory Petliski
(gregpphoto) - F
re on 04/05/2011 15:34:07 MDT Print View

I think my Mac is allergic to bing videos. Or theyre down at the moment.

Ryan Krause
(rmkrause)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Awesome on 04/06/2011 22:36:44 MDT Print View

The end was awesome - "Did you know that black bears can run up to 35 mph?"

Clint Wayman
(cwayman1) - M

Locale: East Tennessee, US
how to camp... on 04/08/2011 19:24:22 MDT Print View

I'd camp with her =)

...and didn't he wash his hands in the same body of water that was just warned against in the previous vid?

I guess these videos are here to remind all of us just how NEAT nature is =)

William Zila
(Ultralightwillinn.m) - MLife

Locale: Albuquerque
Bahaha on 04/09/2011 19:56:43 MDT Print View

Ya Id camp with her too ;) if you packed all that stuff you would have a base weight of like 50lbs lol that sleeping bag was HUGE bahaha this vid made my day

chris kersten
(xanadu) - F

Locale: here
funny on 04/10/2011 01:00:53 MDT Print View

I loved the big box of kitchen matches, (about a 3 year supply) and the C-cell batteries. Also "know where you are going to camp". Gee, I am in the New Mexico desert? I packed a -15 degree bag for Alaska!

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: funny on 04/10/2011 01:15:06 MDT Print View

Dude, that's not funny. You never know if it'll get down to -15F in the middle of summer in New Mexico. Just gotta be prepared. Sometimes I take a -30 just in case...