Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Dog whistle for bears?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Gregory Petliski
(gregpphoto) - F
Dog whistle for bears? on 04/02/2011 21:35:27 MDT Print View

I have no idea how a bear's frequency range compares to a dog, but I wonder if some sort of bear whistle could be made and used to scare away bears!

Joseph Reeves
(Umnak)

Locale: Southeast Alaska
Re: Dog whistle for bears? on 04/02/2011 21:49:50 MDT Print View

No

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Dog whistle for bears? on 04/02/2011 23:32:21 MDT Print View

Maybe it would atract bears

Kevin Lutz
(mtntrailrunner) - F
Might depend on the bear. on 04/02/2011 23:46:17 MDT Print View

I have found that back country bears are not too difficult to scare away. As for ursines near car camping areas such as Yosemite Valley, probably not.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Dog whistle for bears? on 04/03/2011 00:54:31 MDT Print View

If you want to scare off a black bear, first try barking like a pack of wild dogs. Black bears hate dogs. If that doesn't work, then try the loudest bang that you can muster. That may be hitting pots and pans together. Throwing a golfball size rock at them is good.

Some years ago some boy scouts tried to scare off a black bear, and they threw a rock that was too big. It hit a cub bear in the head and killed it. The poor little cub was just following his mother around. So, try the noisemakers first.

--B.G.--

Brian Dickens
(briand) - F

Locale: Colorado
"Dog whistle for bears?" on 04/03/2011 07:41:00 MDT Print View

Not sure about the dog whistle. It could be irritating (seeen dogs irritated by it). I might opt for just a normal whistle.

Throwing a rock at a bear is a bad idea, IMO, it is likely to get its attention and potentially in not a good way.

Anything that has a potential to aggrevate the bear has potential to make it charge...that is what you wish to avoid. Clonking it on the head with a golf ball sized rock in a good location could easily come off as agression and that may work, but if the bear is hungry and this angers it, you are now in a worse position than you started. Too risky IMO.

Defending yourself with rocks, poles, knives, guns, etc should be left until the bear is coming at you. Otherwise make noise, look big and back off. Do not make eye contact with any wild animal or unfamiliar large dog.

In general if black bear once charging or close, fight. If brown, play dead.

Gregory Petliski
(gregpphoto) - F
RE on 04/03/2011 10:49:02 MDT Print View

I'm aware of all the common bear knowledge (prior to lightning, bears were my biggest fear). And I wouldnt assume the dog whistle to work as is, but if it were modified to produce sounds that match the frequency range of a bear (brown, as Im not generally afraid of black bears), I wonder if it would be effective or not. Hey, maybe we could get a budget from the AMC and do some R&D!

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: RE on 04/03/2011 11:42:40 MDT Print View

you first! :)