Yes - yes - I am am opinionated stuffed shirt about a lot of stuff.
1) About the use of aqua-mira. First, I try to ONLY drink untreated water from springs, and I can usually do multi-day trips and get away without ever needing to dip into the aqua-mira. I dearly love this process. I live near the tetons, and I have gotten good at seeking out the water that I consider fine to drink un-treated. And - I hike a lot in Alaska, where there is no reason to treat most of the water.
I under-treat when I use aqua-mira, and I carry the bottle as I hike and wait for the stuff to do it's job. I usually never have a watch, so I just guess at when about 15 minutes is up. (that is under waiting too).
But, the water I use is considered (by me) quite clean and trustworthy.
2) I teach at NOLS, and the school advocates carrying BOTH alcohol based hand sanitizer and soap. But the research shows that of the two, soap is more effective. So, I usually take just soap. The research also states that to be effective, you need to use a pretty good sized squirt of hand sany for complete effectiveness. And that means you need to take a big (or big-ish) bottle for it to be effective.
I can dig up the research somewhere.
3) I pretty much NEVER wash anything but my hands on a long trip. Or a short trip either, and by long I mean 30-days. I'll wash my face with water or snow. I'll wash my butt with snow when it feels like that's a good idea. And I wash my hands with soap. By the end of 30-days, I stink bad - but so do all my teammates.
4) I leave a clean shirt in the car.
5) Also - I live in a place where I can leave the keys in the car at the trail head. And when I say IN THE CAR, I mean in the ignition. With my iPod on the passenger seat. I am very fortunate, I realize that.