Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
If something happened to you, would anybody know how much your gear is worth?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
If something happened to you, would anybody know how much your gear is worth? on 04/02/2011 15:38:57 MDT Print View

It may be a morose subject, but it crosses my mind every so often.
If something happened to you, and every bit you leave behind would matter to your family, would they know how much your gear is worth? If there is plenty of money to go around, who cares.....but if not?
I've thought about making a list, with a description of my gear, and how much one should expect to get for it used, and where to try and sell it, but I have not done it yet.
Some of our families might know what it's worth, but to some a Hilleberg tent, or a cuben shelter, would look the same as a Costco tent, and could end up in a garage sale, or just molding in the basement.
I know that some don't really want the family to know how much they are really spending on this, but would it not be valuable to leave that information behind?

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: If something happened to you, would anybody know how much your gear is worth? on 04/02/2011 15:53:35 MDT Print View

Morose indeed, but "interesting".

My own case, I keep a spreadsheet of all my gear, along with weights and costs. But I live by myself and have no dependents. My siblings are all doing well on their own as well. I seriously doubt they'll bother with selling my gear to "squeeze the equity back out". I can see them giving the gear to younger cousins -- or tossed into the garbage bin. Sigh...

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: If something happened to you, would anybody know how much your gear is worth? on 04/02/2011 16:00:04 MDT Print View

Ben, when they squeeze you, equity comes out? ;)

I'm more worried about the insurance company not believing how much money my stuff costs, or maybe that I'm lying about what I have. (had)

When I was getting renters insurance I specifically said "look, I have thousands in camping gear... do I need picture inventory, or will they believe me?"

He assured me they'd believe me...

As to the OP- when I'm dead they can have it!! Let some lucky BPLer find it for cheap at the Goodwill!

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: If something happened to you, would anybody know how much your gear is worth? on 04/02/2011 16:04:24 MDT Print View

My wife thinks it is not worth much, no matter what she could sell it for :)

Hopefully if I croak, she will have more in assets than my gear.

It is a great question.

But scary if you calculate how much you have actually spent, at least in my case. But that is why I work, so I can have lots of money left over for leisurely pursuits.

Ben might be an exception, I think he financed his kit by selling test gear at a profit. Good for him!! That is what smart people do.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: If something happened to you, would anybody know how much your gear is worth? on 04/02/2011 16:09:37 MDT Print View

"Ben might be an exception, I think he financed his kit by selling test gear at a profit. Good for him!! That is what smart people do."

Hardly. Per my spreadsheet:

Cost of gear in use - $2,540.
Cost of gear sold- $5,905
Proceeds from gear sold - $5,995

Thom Darrah
(thomdarrah) - MLife

Locale: Southern Oregon
"If something happened to you, would anybody know how much your gear is worth?" on 04/02/2011 16:14:26 MDT Print View

If something happens to me my family would likly place the entire contents of my gear closet on the curb with a "Free" sign. :)

My gears $ value:
To me = priceless
To my family = worthless

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: If something happened to you, would anybody know how much your gear is worth? on 04/02/2011 16:37:18 MDT Print View

Not a chance. At least, not anyone who might be picking over my stuff when I'm either fertilizer or, more probably, a big pile of ashes put out for Monday trash pickup. I hope it's windy that day.....

I only hope my gear gets used when I'm gone. Perhaps I should will it to the BPL gear swap, with the proceeds going to one of my favorite charities.

Good question Kat! Makes me think about something I might not normally think about. But, perhaps, should!

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: If something happened to you, would anybody know how much your gear is worth? on 04/02/2011 16:49:23 MDT Print View

After long and careful deliberation...

I want my gear to be buried with me.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: If something happened to you, would anybody know how much your gear is worth? on 04/02/2011 16:50:16 MDT Print View

If I'm not present, IT WON'T MATTER :) Hehehe-- you can't take it with you, regardless of the weight.

Like the old Jansport ad said, "Get out, while you can!"

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
I like this question on 04/02/2011 16:59:00 MDT Print View

I figure it should all go to Goodwill or some other charity. Then some person will make an entry in some forum somewhere like "What a deal I found today at xyz charity".

It would be a waste, however, if it somehow ended up in the dump.

I don't care about the money but I do hate to see good things go to waste.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: If something happened to you, would anybody know how much your gear is worth? on 04/02/2011 17:05:49 MDT Print View

An old quotation (heard amongst a team of climbers and backpackers):

If you die on the mountain, we divvy up your gear.

--B.G.--

John Nausieda
(Meander) - MLife

Locale: PNW
"If something happened to you, would anybody know how much your gear is worth?" on 04/02/2011 17:38:20 MDT Print View

There's always Ebay . I routinely see gear go for more than it fetches at BPL. My wife and daughter know exactly what we've bought and why so I don't worry about it. As far as insurance photos showing condition can help you in a claim. You already have the camera so just shoot it.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: "If something happened to you, would anybody know how much your gear is worth?" on 04/02/2011 17:42:49 MDT Print View

Thom:

Can you PM me your street address again? :)

Edited by ben2world on 04/02/2011 17:44:26 MDT.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: "If something happened to you, would anybody know how much your gear is worth?" on 04/02/2011 17:53:50 MDT Print View

Thom

Same thing here

My wife will put all my stuff in the garbage

Hopefully she'de try to find someone from backpackinglight or portlandhikers.org that would take it

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Re: "If something happened to you, would anybody know how much your gear is worth?" on 04/02/2011 19:12:30 MDT Print View

I hope to go while I'm using it. But I keep the receipts in the gear closet. Good idea there Kat.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: "If something happened to you, would anybody know how much your gear is worth?" on 04/02/2011 19:16:05 MDT Print View

Instructions for the executor of my estate:

1. All my hiking/camping gear are purchased at REI -- receipts in top drawer.
2. Take everything back and ask for full cash refund -- to be distributed to my rightful heirs.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
If something....... on 04/02/2011 19:23:20 MDT Print View

Seems like everybody's got plenty to leave behind that a few thousand dollars in gear wouldn't make a difference.
Maybe instead of a list and prices, one could leave the name of someone who could help with gear.
I have life insurance and a few acres in British Columbia, but everything would help; that's where I was coming from.

Edited by Kat_P on 04/02/2011 19:53:41 MDT.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: If something....... on 04/02/2011 19:34:50 MDT Print View

In the overall scheme of things, even "cadillac" hiking gear pieces like a WM down bag or a Hilleberg tent or a McHale pack are really quite insignificant in cost when compared to a car, never mind a piece of land or a house! Now, there are other hobbies like vintage car collecting... but regular ol' hiking??

But yes, if the family could use the money, it would indeed be a pity if a perfectly good cuben shelter gets thrown into the garbage just because of unfamiliarity.

John Nausieda
(Meander) - MLife

Locale: PNW
If something happened to you, would anybody know how much your gear is worth?" on 04/02/2011 19:57:39 MDT Print View

Once you have a list , receipts photos and an executor , I think that's enough. Good enough for a surprise ending . Otherwise you can always do it yourself if you know you are not going to use it anymore. I watch collections unwind on Ebay all the time and they usually bring good prices. That you even think of it suggests a good nature . On the other hand if you need a Terracotta Kit or are forced to hire a non-clan member to offer you a Paper Custom Pack and Hell Money since you are a Hungry Ghost without Kin, well pay up before hand.

Edited by Meander on 04/02/2011 20:01:36 MDT.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: If something happened to you, would anybody know how much your gear is worth?" on 04/02/2011 20:21:26 MDT Print View

What would be a shame is if my wife threw all my stuff in the landfill rather than giving it to someone who would appreciate it