Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
The End of the World in Portland
Display Avatars Sort By:
Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
The End of the World in Portland on 04/01/2011 16:43:43 MDT Print View

I don't understand what's going on, so I'm assuming something terrible is happening. Maybe some ancient prophecy coming true or what happened in "The Road".

There's a big yellow-ish thing in the sky, and it's a weird blue color with floaty white things. What's happening? Where's our rain and low gray ceiling?

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
The End of the World in Portland on 04/01/2011 16:51:15 MDT Print View

I don't know! I do vaguely remember seeing a similar sight sometime last summer, but that was a long time ago and my memory is aging along with the rest of me.

Really scary!

Edit, a little later: The end may be arriving right now, next door! Weird and very loud motor noise. I'd think it was a lawn mower if I didn't know better!

Edited by hikinggranny on 04/01/2011 16:55:16 MDT.

John Nausieda
(Meander) - MLife

Locale: PNW
The End of the World in Portland on 04/01/2011 17:03:23 MDT Print View

Time for the snow melt skeeters like last year. Our first planting of peas didn't all drown! The furnace stays off tonight, but the sump-pump is still on.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: The End of the World in Portland on 04/01/2011 17:34:08 MDT Print View

"big yellow-ish thing in the sky, and it's a weird blue color with floaty white things. "

And you didn't believe me, did you?

Edited by ben2world on 04/01/2011 17:35:32 MDT.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
The End of the World in Portland on 04/01/2011 18:48:53 MDT Print View

DON'T PANIC
( helps if you run around shouting that. Gives you something to do waiting for the inevitable)

HOWEVER do please remember that it is already tomorrow here in Melbourne, so you will be notified by me in advance when the real end comes.
( I think that the Portland thing is just a sort of rehearsal)
Franco

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: The End of the World in Portland on 04/01/2011 19:07:04 MDT Print View

Don't worry

as evident from Ben's satelite photo it's about to rain again

it'll chase the Californians away

John Nausieda
(Meander) - MLife

Locale: PNW
The End of the World in Portland on 04/01/2011 19:31:04 MDT Print View

Yes, The Lord promised us we'll just get flooded again. The Sword of Fire likes Californians especially. Note that all this is predicted by the Chinese .
Boston.com Most Emailed
by Debby Wu • Jan. 28, 2011 Read Later
TAIPEI, Taiwan—The Year of the Rabbit conjures images of fluffy bunnies, but fortunetellers in Asia predict that the coming year on the Asian lunar calendar will be anything but cuddly.
Among key predictions for the new year beginning Feb. 3: terrorist threats, continuing tensions between China and the United States, natural disasters around the world and wobbly global markets.
Even Hollywood celebrity couple Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie is not immune from the grim prognostications. Both were born in Rabbit years, and one fortuneteller sees their longtime relationship coming under increasing strain as the year wears on.
As the Lunar New Year approaches, Asians from Hanoi to Harbin put great stock in the soothsayers' predictions using feng shui -- the traditional practice of foretelling events through dates and classical texts.
In feng shui lore, the Year of the Rabbit is associated with the natural elements of metal and wood. This is a likely recipe for conflict, according to Hong Kong-based feng shui consultant Raymond Lo.
Taipei-based colleague Tsai Shang-chi goes even further.
"This year the West will suffer from a vicious energy and will be prone to more terrorist attacks," Tsai said. "The East will also be affected by a negative energy, reflected in ongoing tensions on the Korean peninsula."
While Tsai and Malaysian prognosticator Rev Yong offer assurances that the problems between North and South Korea won't escalate into all-out war, Yong is less sanguine about the chances for avoiding an onslaught of natural disasters. He foresees severe flooding around the world, a powerful earthquake in Japan and the emergence of a number of worrisome new diseases.
One of the upshots, he says, will be big problems for the global economy and the possibility of a major stock market plunge toward the middle of the year.
"People think the rabbit is very gentle, but it's not going to be a mild year at all," Yong said. "It won't be a good year. There will be a lot of world conflicts."
Hong Kong prognosticator Peter So predicted that developing tensions between the United States and China would persist, and that Chinese leader Hu Jintao would have an advantage over President Barack Obama as the sides faced off.
So attributed Hu's prospective dominance to the compatibility of his winter birth with the Year of the Rabbit's fire element, and the countervailing shortfall suffered by the August-born Obama.
"(Obama's) administration won't go that smoothly," he said. "He won't be able to register that many achievements."
Taiwan's Tsai said the Year of the Rabbit will bring new challenges to Hollywood lovebirds Pitt and Jolie, who share the Rabbit birth sign, one of 12 in the Chinese zodiac. In feng shui lore, people entering a year whose sign is the same as their birth sign are considered to be "in conflict" and may encounter bad luck.
"The three stars affecting their relationship this year are related to disputes and arguments," Tsai said. "They'll be lucky if they manage to stay together."
Still, Tsai said, there may be a way out of the muddle -- not only for Pitt and Jolie, but indeed, for anyone who appears to have gotten the short end of the stick in Year of the Rabbit portents.
"Wear yellow and white cloths and consume food in these colors," he counseled, listing pumpkins, oranges, white radishes and apples as likely antidotes.
Hong Kong's Lo added that carrying a dog pendant may also offer help, because dogs and rabbits are astrologically compatible.
Associated Press writers Min Lee in Hong Kong and Sean Yoong in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, contributed to this report.
© Copyright 2011 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
It's the 90's...they're back. on 04/03/2011 12:28:13 MDT Print View

It's just the 90's coming back:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVmq9dq6Nsg

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: The End of the World in Portland on 04/03/2011 12:58:33 MDT Print View

Freakin Finally!!

Bring it on. I can't wait another year.

PS: Is the end coming at the beginning of 2012 or do I have to wait till the end of the year. (thus making freedom almost 2 years out still)

This whole apocalypse thing is taking waay too long...
At least it appears to be starting in Portland.