SUL handicapping system for Safety concerns
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: SUL handicap on 04/03/2011 22:58:32 MDT Print View

Just take the gear that you have/can afford that lets you accomplish the task at hand. And have a good time out there.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Re: SUL handicap on 04/04/2011 06:12:09 MDT Print View

"But we have people entering this sport daily. Many of them are immediately indoctrinated with the holy Grail of sub 5 lb hiking."

I am sitting at around an 8lb base weight and have no intention of dropping it further. There are no prizes for low base weight, for me it is an enabler to allow me to do trips I want, not a goal in itself.

I think if you have given thought to handicapping base weights it's time to step back away from the gear spreadsheets and go use the helium weight gear. It's a sickness and there is help. :)

But how about we handicap mileage? It's just not fair that those tall folks take fewer steps to hike a mile!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Re: SUL handicap on 04/04/2011 06:24:35 MDT Print View

"But how about we handicap mileage? It's just not fair that those tall folks take fewer steps to hike a mile!"

Now you've let the cat out of the bag.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Re: SUL handicap on 04/04/2011 06:55:44 MDT Print View

"But how about we handicap mileage? It's just not fair that those tall folks take fewer steps to hike a mile!"

Elite marathoners are usually not tall. NBA championship winners tend to be tall.

Everyone can win at backpacking even if you are tall, short, round, thin, red, yellow or green. And no one will measure your pack at the end of the day... except maybe yourself.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Legs on 04/04/2011 07:07:24 MDT Print View

Yeah, Greg and Ken !!??

: )

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Legs on 04/04/2011 07:14:18 MDT Print View

I need the height advantage to keep up with you Kat ;)

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Legs on 04/04/2011 08:45:17 MDT Print View

Though the longer legs can go faster they tend to need more food to do just that ;-) Sometimes being shorter does have advantages!

mark henley
(flash582) - F
Re: Re: SUL handicap on 04/06/2011 05:07:47 MDT Print View

Thanks for this Ken ..... No worries

mark henley
(flash582) - F
SUL weight limits on 04/06/2011 05:13:16 MDT Print View

Getting lighter is a process ...and it's through a desire to get lighter that drives innovation in this industry.

In 2001 the mainstream gear manufactures called 5 lb packs and 3 lb sleeping bags ultralight.

I guess I've made the point I was trying to get to, even though many others stated it a lot better than I implied it ..... You can push the envolope, but never compromise safety for the sake of a few ounces.