Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Bug Bivies???
Display Avatars Sort By:
pack nwcurt
(curtpeterson) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Bug Bivies??? on 10/28/2006 09:33:22 MDT Print View

Is it me or are there very few simple mesh bug netting bivies to choose from?

Oware has one. Light at 10+ oz., but needs to be suspended at all points.

OR has one, but it's heavy.

The REI Bug Hut 1 is a great idea, but it's heavy, too. Curious what the poles weigh ....

Others? Basically I'm looking for something similar to the REI or OR version, but lighter. A hooped-head bivy bag made of no-see-um would be great. It shouldn't have to weigh more than 12 oz. or so. Do I need to get out the sewing machine?

Joseph Rothstein
(joe_r) - F
Re: Bug Bivies??? on 10/28/2006 10:10:14 MDT Print View

It sounds like you're looking for a self-standing bug shelter. In that case, you might like the A16 Bug Bivy.

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest
Re: Bug Bivies??? on 10/28/2006 10:10:25 MDT Print View

Adventure16 has a half-length bug bivy is the lightest at just over 6oz, IIRC. - just click this link/text

The above is self-supporting; the two below are not and do not precisely meet your "hooped" requirement. They are however very light and easy to use under a tarp.

The biggest problem with the A16 bug bivy above is stowing it when not in use. I've had to lash it to the outside of the pack as its folded diameter was too large to readily fit in the pack and i was concerned that i would break the plastic "hoop".

GossamerGear has a 3oz bug canopy that can be suspended from a tarp.

There is also one called the Mantis, from Equinox, at about 4.5oz - it's similar to the GG bug bivy

Edited by pj on 10/28/2006 10:23:33 MDT.

Eric Carlsen
(cooleric1234) - F
Similar thread on 10/28/2006 10:28:03 MDT Print View

I posted a similar question recently here. Check it out for the list of things I found.

Edited by cooleric1234 on 10/28/2006 10:28:51 MDT.

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
Bug Bivies??? on 10/28/2006 10:29:44 MDT Print View

Curt,

There is no reason you couldn't make your own at 4 or 5 ounces total weight or less.

If my Pertex Quantum / Cuben Bivy only weighs 3 ounces I could sure make one out of light silk gauze/mesh at or less than that weight.

This might be a good project for some BMW thin Ti Wire for the hoops. Even the Nanoseeum Netting from Thru Hiker.com is 0.71 ounces per sq yard at 55' wide.

Use the pattern for the Meteor Bivy at Six Moon Designs.com as a departure point and you are all set.

SANDRA GILLESPIE KRAMER
(sandykayak) - F

Locale: South Florida
Re: Bug Bivies??? on 10/30/2006 15:55:32 MST Print View

How about this one:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=7581&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1

10 oz. $24 I added more no see 'um mesh to the bottom and made a box shape at the end.

sandy kramer reese
miami