Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Best way to make maps for my blog?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Peter Gurin
(intheswim) - F
Best way to make maps for my blog? on 03/31/2011 04:48:43 MDT Print View

Does anyone have some recommendations how to make nice maps to post in my blog of trips that I go on?

I have Garmin 401 and Apple Computer. Thanks! :)

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: Best way to make maps for my blog? on 04/01/2011 11:48:43 MDT Print View

The only tool I have experience with is Topo! from National Geographic. You can put waypoints and other things on the map, trace your trail and then export an image.

David Drake
(DavidDrake) - F - M

Locale: North Idaho
Google Earth on 04/01/2011 12:13:32 MDT Print View

Use Google Earth. You can turn on the terrain feature and tilt the view angle to get great bird's eye perspectives, and there's a tool for marking your route as a colored line. You can also import data from GPS, although I haven't done this myself. Images export with good resolution for screen, and okay for print. Google Maps has a lot of the same functions.

If you're hiking in US, you might also look at USGS website--good mapping tools there, including decent res scans of paper topos for the whole country. Unfortunately, the GeoPDF plug-in (which lets you play with layers on some of the topos) only works with Windows.

Best part: all of this is free. I think ArchGIS also has some free mapping tools online (just google it).

Erik Danielsen
(er1kksen) - F

Locale: The Western Door
Re: Google Earth on 04/01/2011 13:09:52 MDT Print View

Note: google earth does not (for some unfathomable reason) come with the "terrain" feature available by default. A quick google search should turn up various "skins" you can download and apply to the program in order to get that function.

David Drake
(DavidDrake) - F - M

Locale: North Idaho
Re: Re: Google Earth on 04/01/2011 13:27:47 MDT Print View

Hmm. I'm running version 5.2 on a Mac, and have never downloaded any plugins. I remember 3-d terrain used to enabled from the side bar menu. Now, it looks like you go to "preferences" (under Goggle Earth pulldown menu at top). Under "3D view" there a check-box for "show terrain" as well as a slider which lets you chose terrain quality and another box to specify vertical exaggeration.

Marc Shea
(FlytePacker) - F

Locale: Cascades
Acme Mapper on 04/01/2011 14:01:47 MDT Print View

Acme Mapper integrates Google maps with Topo maps. I use it quite a bit when looking for areas to hike.

http://mapper.acme.com/

Erik Danielsen
(er1kksen) - F

Locale: The Western Door
Re: Re: Re: Google Earth on 04/04/2011 21:26:20 MDT Print View

Yeah, I've played around with that, and I can view it in 3-D view just fine, but that doesn't give me the topographic view with isolines that you get from the "terrain view" in web-based google maps, unless I'm missing something. Since that's my favorite view, plugins it is.