Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » healthy, high-calorie, cheap snacks that are easy to make in bulk?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Erin McKittrick
(mckittre) - MLife

Locale: Seldovia, Alaska
healthy, high-calorie, cheap snacks that are easy to make in bulk? on 03/30/2011 16:18:38 MDT Print View

And I get sick of trail mix very quickly (I know that's the easiest answer).

I frequently need to get together a whole bunch of food at a time for a long trip (a month or two for multiple people). We do cook once or twice a day, but it's hard to eat enough at a time or have a big enough pot, so most calories end up coming from snacks. In the past, I've often run out of time and bought a bunch of potato chips, candy bars, granola bars, pilot bread, cookies, etc... from costco.

But now that I have small children eating with me, there's more incentive to do a little better. High fat food is great, but I don't want stuff that's too sweet (like pretty much all commercial bars), or full of odd chemicals, or expensive.

Anyone have recipes to make various bar or cracker type things (not crumbly is best, so a toddler can eat without much waste) that are not too sweet, that I can make a lot of without too much effort?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: healthy, high-calorie, cheap snacks that are easy to make in bulk? on 03/30/2011 16:53:04 MDT Print View

I would recommend Logan Bread. Do a search here for "Logan Bread", and you will find my recipe.

One good thing about it is that it is a recipe, so you can add or delete items to adapt it to your own preferences. Since it is mostly carbohydrates with only a little fat, you might need to add more nuts and such to boost the calories. I've been baking the stuff for over 30 years now, so I make it to suit myself. There is a bag of it in my kitchen right now, and it has been sitting there for four months or more. It will be consumed within the next month.

--B.G.--

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
Pumpkin Breakfast Bars on 03/30/2011 17:18:34 MDT Print View

This one has always gone over well with the kids and it's easy to switch up. While we often use them as a quick, on-the-go breakfast, they can be used as a snack at anytime of day.

Pumpkin Breakfast Bars
© Another Fork in the Trail 2011

Makes 14 bars

This make-at-home recipe is a favorite around here. Sometimes I have to pop them into the freezer or the guys will devour them before we leave on our backcountry adventure. Be sure to use plain pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling for these. A drizzle of chocolate on the top would make these into a yummy dessert bar.

4 1/2 teaspoons ground flax seeds or flax meal
1 teaspoon whole flax seeds
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup canned stewed pumpkin or pureed roasted pumpkin
1/8 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats, coarsely ground
1/4 cup whole wheat or unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/3 cup walnuts
1/3 cup raw pepitas
1/3 cup dried cherries
1/3 cup dried peaches or plums, diced
1/3 cup dried pears, diced
1/3 cup dried apples, diced

At Home
Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 9-inch square baking pan or line with parchment paper and oil the paper. Mix the ground flax and whole flax seeds together then add 1/2 cup water. Set aside for a minimum of 5 minutes. Mix the stewed pumpkin with the brown sugar and set aside. Mix the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Combine the flax mixture with the pumpkin mixture and pour into the dry ingredients. Mix well and press into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before removing from the pan and cutting into 14 bars. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and use within 1 week.

Edited by Laurie_Ann on 03/30/2011 17:19:57 MDT.

Dicentra OPW
(dicentra) - F

Locale: PNW
More Pumpkin... on 03/31/2011 17:41:10 MDT Print View

ETA: Hi Erin!!! :)

I have a similar recipe...

Pumpkin Cranberry Energy Bars

These would be good for breakfast or dessert on the trail. Try spreading them with cream cheese. Yams or sweet potatoes can be substituted for the pumpkin

Makes 1 dozen

½ cup water
½ cup rolled oats
1 16 oz can cooked pumpkin puree
½ cup cornmeal
¼ cup honey
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 egg
¼ cup dried cranberries
¼ cup finely chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine the oats with the water. Let stand for 5 minutes. Add the pumpkin, cornmeal, honey, spices and egg.

Mix well. Add the cranberries and walnuts, stirring to just combine.

Drop, from a spoon, onto an oiled cookie sheet and smooth out the tops with the back of the spoon. The cakes should be about 3 inches in diameter.

Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, turning once. Cool. Wrap individually in waxed paper.

Edited by dicentra on 03/31/2011 17:43:22 MDT.