November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
nepal alpine trek-Oct 2010: Makalu-Khumbu traverse
Display Avatars Sort By:
Thomas McDonald, MD
(mc1donald) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
nepal alpine trek-Oct 2011: Makalu-Khumbu traverse on 03/30/2011 01:29:10 MDT Print View

I'm hoping to put together a small team for a private trek this October:
Makalu basecamp; traverse to base of Baruntse; traverse to Mera basecamp with ascent(optional-6400M); and exit down the Hinku valley back to Lukla. Two passes over 6000M with belayed descents, sustained stretches over 5000M. Reputedly one of the highest treks in the world- and definitely one of the tops for alpine experience (Makalu, Lhotse, Everest...)

We'd be working with a Sherpa guide whom I've trekked with twice before (Kaji Sherpa) and his hand-picked crew. I'd handle medical issues but otherwise a coop effort.

Looking for hopefully two other kindred spirits with some experience over 5000M and some experience on glaciated terrain.

Tentative dates: Oct 8-Nov 5. 25-26 days trekking.
Estimated costs - $4000-4200 + airfare to Nepal and lodging in Kathmandu (<$50/night)
If this particular trip not the right one, please let me know you'd like to conspire to put together a custom trek somewhere else in Nepal or Tibet off the beaten path (Dolpo, Kanshung/NE face of Everest, Rolwaling, etc.)

Tom McDonald
(; or PAMF-Internal Medicine)

other treks on this route-

Snowman trek 2010

Edited by mc1donald on 03/31/2011 00:01:48 MDT.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: nepal alpine trek-Oct 2010: Makalu-Khumbu traverse on 03/30/2011 08:14:13 MDT Print View

Might want to switch it to Nepal Alpine trek 2011 instead of 2010. :)

Thomas McDonald, MD
(mc1donald) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
date! on 03/31/2011 10:21:47 MDT Print View

got it- thanks!