Myog shelter specs?
Display Avatars Sort By:
William Zila
(Ultralightwillinn.m) - MLife

Locale: Albuquerque
Myog shelter specs? on 03/29/2011 22:02:03 MDT Print View

I am making a tarp shelter to use above my bivy I want 30 square feet as I may use it as a 2 person shelter and I want it to have a beak that zips and stakes to the ground the rest of the tarp will use guylines to secure it about a foot above the ground a canter height of about 2 1/2 feet I want the shoulder section to be 5ft wide and taper to 4 does anyone have a pattern for this or can you direct me to one or at least how to cut it to make the beak?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Myog shelter specs? on 03/29/2011 22:18:46 MDT Print View

I guess you know that 30 square feet isn't very large for two people.

--B.G.--

William Zila

2ppl on 03/29/2011 23:15:46 MDT Print View

Yes I understand that I am 5,7 and only weigh 130 my backpacking buddy is about the same I drew it all out on grid paper it will have about 40 square feet and I think I got the beak figured out just messing around with it all in 1:20 scale with some scrap nylon

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: 2ppl on 03/29/2011 23:30:54 MDT Print View

OK. This might be OK if you have rain falling straight down.

I always end up with horizontal rain blowing around, and I need better storm coverage for that.

--B.G.--

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: 2ppl on 03/29/2011 23:42:11 MDT Print View

If the tarp covered your head end but not your foot end you could get by with a smaller tarp.

Okay if weather wasn't too bad.

William Zila

Bivy on 03/29/2011 23:57:35 MDT Print View

I am doing a beak on the head and foot so that gives a little more protection I also will be using the tarp in conjuncition with a bivy