Milkman is back?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael Crosby
(djjmikie) - MLife

Locale: Ky
Milkman is back? on 03/29/2011 08:13:03 MDT Print View

FYI

Dear Milkman Devotee:

Thank you for your interest in Milkman, the Instant Low Fat Milk powder for the discriminating palate. We at Marron Foods are bringing this favorite back for people like you who have made it clear Milkman is a product without equal.

Marron Foods has worked hard to preserve the original formula and even the original look and feel of the packaging. We are very interested in your feedback and would like to send you a sample of the product that delivers low fat milk with a taste that has "the kiss of cream".

Please respond to this e-mail with your exact name and mailing address and we will get a sample out to you as soon as possible.

Thank you!

(Peggy McGuinness for)

Dan Pearson

Brand Manager

Marron Foods

www.marronfoods.com

914-967-2442 ext 14

914-967-2220 fax

914-924-8061 cell

dpearson@marronfoods.com

Thanks for the reminder Jim:

(I have no commercial interest in this other than being a formerly happy user of the product)

Edited by djjmikie on 03/29/2011 08:48:40 MDT.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Milkman is back? on 03/29/2011 08:44:07 MDT Print View

That's good news!

I would encourage folks who care about this to pass the info on to gear shops in their area (and, of course, flood REI with notices that the Milkman back).

(I have no commercial interest in this other than being a formerly happy user of the product)

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
great news on 03/29/2011 09:18:55 MDT Print View

great news!

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
I think this is better on 03/29/2011 09:37:00 MDT Print View

http://www.organicvalley.coop/products/milk/nonfat-dry-milk/

I went to using OV the past couple years - and if I needed it richer cut it with a tiny bit of NIDO full fat. The taste is so much nicer, even with being non-fat.

Michael Crosby
(djjmikie) - MLife

Locale: Ky
Re: "Milkman is back?" on 03/29/2011 09:51:15 MDT Print View

Thanks Sara,
I will try it.

Will Webster
(WillWeb) - M
Re: I think this is better on 03/29/2011 11:13:29 MDT Print View

Thanks Sarah, I just ordered some from Amazon. I've been looking for something healthier than Nido but better than the generic crap I can find in the local stores.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Re: I think this is better on 03/29/2011 13:25:23 MDT Print View

And OV also makes a really good buttermilk powder as well :-)

Eugene Hollingsworth
(GeneH_BPL) - F
Milkman IS back on 04/05/2011 19:03:54 MDT Print View

I just received a sample in the mailbox today. Can't wait to compare with Nido, and also try Sarah's suggestion.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Got mine yesterday on 04/11/2011 18:16:50 MDT Print View

Marron's packet of Milkman arrived yesterday. Fast service! I only e-mailed them last week.

Mina Loomis
(elmvine) - MLife

Locale: Central Texas
Nido on 04/12/2011 20:56:32 MDT Print View

So, what's the matter with Nido? (Other than it not being organic and being a Nestle product. But your note suggests it is not healthful?)

S. K.
(Pangolin) - F

Locale: Ohio
Re: Nido on 04/13/2011 13:03:27 MDT Print View

Since Nido is made from whole milk and Milkman seems to be made from low-fat milk, I would guess the objection to Nido is the fat in the whole milk.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Nido on 04/13/2011 17:11:04 MDT Print View

"I would guess the objection to Nido is the fat in the whole milk."

The fat is a plus, IMO. Packing in the calories is the name of the game on backpacking trips, especially longer ones.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: Nido on 04/13/2011 17:14:11 MDT Print View

For those of us who need to avoid excess saturated fat, Milkman would be the choice. There are healtier fats than saturated fats.

--B.G.--

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Milkman over Nido on 04/13/2011 17:30:42 MDT Print View

I'm with you, Bob. Olive oil is the way to cram in the good fats. Milk is for fun. As for the Nido fans, have you ever actually tried Milkman? It tastes sooo much better. Organic Valley is pretty decent too, but it is a little hard to mix up in your cup (good for cooking though). I should have a nice summer's stash of Milkman from Packit Gourmet on my doorstep tomorrow. My life will now be complete. It's been a long several years without my Milkman.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Milkman over Nido on 04/13/2011 17:38:10 MDT Print View

Well, I am sure that there are hikers out there who do not have any health problem with saturated fats, so if they want to boost their calories that way, it is fine with me. However, some of us do need to get out of saturated fats and more into monounsaturated and polyunsaturated. That gets us to olive oil and nut oils. I've been transfat-free for some time now.

--B.G.--

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Milkman over Nido on 04/13/2011 17:43:24 MDT Print View

"Olive oil is the way to cram in the good fats."

But it doesn't go very well with granola. I use both at different times of the day.
A little bit of satuirated fat for a few days isn't going to harm a normal, healthy, highly active human being in the backcountry.

"Milk is for fun"

Nah. A good single malt is for fun. ;)

"As for the Nido fans, have you ever actually tried Milkman? It tastes sooo much better."

Milkman was all I ever used until it disappeared from the shelves. In the interim, I discovered Nido and have never looked back. More calories and, IMO, better flavor.
Admittedly, taste is highly individual and each person will have their preference, but it certainly isn't a slam dunk in favor of Milkman. I don't worry about the saturated fat in an ounce of Nido/day on a backpacking trip, with a cholesterol reading typically in the 170's and an HDL to total cholesterol to HDL ratio below 3. YMMV

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Milkman over Nido on 04/13/2011 17:54:32 MDT Print View

My physician would smack me about the head and shoulders if my cholesterol numbers went that high.

--B.G.--

John Devitt
(cabana) - MLife

Locale: Colorado
Re: Milkman over Nido on 04/13/2011 18:49:14 MDT Print View

Gary,

I still have org MM vacumed sealed in my deep freeze. LOL! I am interested to see how the new stacks up to the old. I have a sample pace coming, so I will report my opinion when it arrives.
Regards,
John

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Milkman over Nido on 04/13/2011 19:34:25 MDT Print View

At the rate long distance hikers burn calories (~6000 per day) relative to the calories ingested, we're running a big deficit. We can eat sticks of butter and still come out short.

Milkman works well with cold, warm, or hot waters.

Nido is a disaster in cold water, and not very good in warm. To me, it always has a burnt milk flavor that I find hard to choke down.

VIVA MILKMAN

Now all they have to do is get it back in the stores and REI.

Edited by wandering_bob on 04/13/2011 19:36:45 MDT.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Milkman over Nido on 04/13/2011 20:21:43 MDT Print View

"My physician would smack me about the head and shoulders if my cholesterol numbers went that high."

Chuckle.