Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Looking for a remedy for frozen footwear in the morning
Display Avatars Sort By:
Matthew Marasco
(BabyMatty) - F

Locale: Western/Central PA, Adirondacks
re: on 03/29/2011 06:23:12 MDT Print View

Dave C and Brian- I dream of the day when I'll be enough of a stoic to be in the "not a big deal" camp. This was my first winter taking such trips though. Maybe with some time, this princess will toughen up, haha!

Konrad- see now that's the kind of solution I was thinking. I actually own a Nalgene canteen (I think it even shows up in a picture or two in my TR from this weekend). Now I just need to get a second one for the other foot! If it's not a long trip (and I probably won't be taking any long winter trips til I get more experience), I wouldn't mind using the extra fuel to boil some water for that purpose.

Everyone else- I appreciate your input and enjoyed reading your ideas!! Thank you!

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Re: Looking for a remedy for frozen footwear in the morning on 03/29/2011 09:52:57 MDT Print View

Warm feet.

It does stink, but you get over the misery pretty quickly & get on with the day. I like to take along camp boots of some kind, & they stay on until I'm ready to hit the trail... so I can avoid the dreaded frozen boots as long as possible. Sometimes I use old Gore overboots I just stick my liners in. VBL socks are great, too. And down booties. Really, I try to wear my down booties as long as possible. Then the liners go into the overboots and start warming up for the day.