Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Wood-Burning cook system suggestions?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Matthew Zion
(mzion) - F

Locale: Boulder, CO
Wood-Burning cook system suggestions? on 03/28/2011 09:15:31 MDT Print View

I just got back from a week long hike where I was experimenting with a cold diet that I have used a lot this fall/winter that worked fine on weekend trips. However, after day 3 I was craving a hot meal so much that I was considering thumping some guy in the head and hijacking his Ramen--pretty pathetic.
So now I'm reworking my menu for my summer hiking plans (CT) and also new cooking systems. I have experience with the homemade alcohol stoves and have looked at the Caldera stuff but I am very interested in the wood burning avenue. So I was wondering what wood burning systems you guys used? Which ones you guys recommend? And if there are some simple homemade stoves you guys are big fans of? I will probably be boiling up noodles w/ dehydrated spaghetti sauce or doing a couscous or other grain with dehydrated Thai peanut sauce.

Thanks in advance!

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Lots of options on 03/28/2011 09:30:17 MDT Print View

Nimbelwill Nomad's "Little Dandy" is a popular homemade option.

Most of the time, I just build a fire on top of flat rock with two or three smaller rocks used as a pot stand. You can boil a pot/mug of water with just a few twigs this way.

Having a stove does simplify things though. The new "Back Country Boiler" is popular with my friends. I used to use a "Kelly Kettle" the original heavy version and it works well in adverse weather.

Chris Martin
(hope_for_gorilla) - F

Locale: Finger Lakes
Wood stove on 03/28/2011 09:41:12 MDT Print View

http://tjamrog.wordpress.com/2008/12/22/the-evolving-backpacking-wood-stove/

I've made a few of these and really like them. Can't beat the price and simplicity. Just be aware that whatever you set it on will be showered by little bits of burning ember. Learned that the hard way, on my front porch.

Andrew F
(andrew.f) - F - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Wood stove on 03/28/2011 10:14:59 MDT Print View

I like the Ikea wood stove. I just made one and it works great. My MSR Titan Kettle nests inside, so it doesn't really add any volume to my pack. You can easily burn alcohol or esbit in it as well. I use it with a cat can stove, and you can use it to simmer easily since the pot height is adjustable by moving the tent stakes up or down. Put it on top of the cat can to bring to boil, then raise the pot up, put in the stakes, and simmer away. Total weight: 4 oz with windscreen & alcohol stove included. Total cost: about $8.

Andrew

Corey Downing
(hardcorey) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Re: Wood stove on 03/28/2011 10:24:42 MDT Print View

+1 Ikea wood stove. Made one, didn't test it but took it out with me and it worked great. I will post some pics of mine when I get home if I remember.

Mike S
(MikeyLXT) - F

Locale: Maryland
Re: Re: Re: Wood stove on 03/28/2011 10:49:27 MDT Print View

I just made a wood stove out of the Ikea cutlery caddy and it works well. I was able to boil 2 cups in under 10 minutes on my first try.

Here is the original thread
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=27176

My own pic and video (sorry the vid is turned sideways)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71_4zpPskHg

From Drop Box

brent driggers
(cadyak) - MLife

Locale: southwest georgia
Unofficial Nonscientific Woodstove Cook-off on 03/28/2011 11:49:30 MDT Print View

Dont forget to post on the thread below.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=44978

trappers mug UL woodstove

trappers mug UL 2

Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
Wood Burning Cook System - Wood Gas Stove on 03/28/2011 12:10:08 MDT Print View

I just purchased a wood gas stove from Antig Outdoors.

It nests, in its own stuffsack, inside an Evernew 1L Ti Pasta Pot (although it's about .5 inch taller than the pot). I haven't had a chance to use it yet but did pick up a bunch of sticks to test it.

I'll take some photos and post a review shortly.

Aaron Benson
(AaronMB) - F

Locale: Central Valley California
RE: Wood-Burning cook systems on 03/28/2011 14:52:16 MDT Print View

I've had good luck with a variety of little wood burners.

At home, I've made several of the 'hobo' styles (some sort of can with air vents and a feed hole); they work fairly well, are cheap to make, and easy to do if you've at least a small selection of hand tools. I keep them around and play with them on occasion, but have only packed my Vargo Ti Hexagon for the trail. I'm confident that the hobo stove(s) would work fine but I like how the Vargo folds down and packs flat.

Zenstoves.net is a good resource for all kinds of stoves, as is You Tube. There are quite a few MYOG/DIY tutorials on the 'net for making everything from the simple hobo stoves to double-walled "gasifiers" (like Chris' link above).

Edited by AaronMB on 03/28/2011 14:53:50 MDT.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
"The Great Wood Stove Burn-Off" on 03/28/2011 19:46:26 MDT Print View

Three wood burning stoves will be tested side-by-side in a controlled manner beginning tomorrow. You can follow the tests as they progress or wait till the results are posted here in a new thread.

The three stoves to be tested are The bushbuddy, the bushcookerLT2 and the folding Woodgaz stove. I have a vested interest in the Woodgaz.

<center>

</center>

Follow the testing progress here:

<"The Great Wood Stove Burn-Off">

Edited by zelph on 03/28/2011 19:51:14 MDT.

Dan Magdoff
(highsierraguy) - F

Locale: Northern California
Ikea stove on 03/29/2011 00:32:13 MDT Print View

hey all
SO recently, I have just been throwing my pot directly on my camp fire for cooking and it works great. But I can definitely see the benefit of having a wood burning stove. I wana build one and give it a try. It seems like the ikea one is a good one.....Is there any thread that has directions on how to make one?

Thanks
Dan

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Ikea stove on 03/29/2011 07:01:44 MDT Print View

Re-read Mike S post above. He gives the link.

John Jensen
(JohnJ) - F

Locale: Orange County, CA
sidewinder on 03/29/2011 07:07:59 MDT Print View

As a newbie/lurker I keep going back to the Trail Design pages and liking different models(*). I wonder, how well does the Ti Sidewinder burn wood in the basic configuration?Has anyone tried it without springing for the Inferno?

* - I'm the guy with 400 page views ;-)

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Re: Wood-Burning cook system suggestions? on 03/29/2011 09:40:56 MDT Print View

My experience with the Ti Tri Inferno has been great. Very user-friendly burn, good burn overall... versatile...