Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Rank the Bars

Display Avatars Sort By:
Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
Re: Re: Rank the Bars on 03/30/2011 17:30:09 MDT Print View

Timothy wrote... "The only bar is Banana Breakfast Bars in "A Fork in the Trail"."

Now you have me blushing Timothy. I can post the recipe if anyone wants it.

I also posted a new breakfast bar recipe (not as sweet) in the thread here...

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=45269

I prefer homemade bars because I like to have control over my ingredients.... but if I had to buy packaged I would choose the following...

1.) Luna Bar
2.) Larabar (tied with Luna)
3.) Bumble Bar
4.) Nature Valley Sweet & Salty Roasted Mixed Nut
5.) Kind
6.) Balance
7.) Snickers (even if they are a melty mess in the pack)

Edited by Laurie_Ann on 03/30/2011 17:35:37 MDT.

shane sibert
(grinder) - F

Locale: P.N.W
Re: Rank the Bars on 04/02/2011 11:59:07 MDT Print View

WOW Mary! That means no Potassium Iodide for you whe we ge the radiation cloud rolling into the N.W! LOL

I'm fond of SKOUT Trailbars.Made here in Portland

http://skoutnatural.com/

Edited by grinder on 04/02/2011 11:59:46 MDT.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Re: Rank the Bars on 04/02/2011 12:27:52 MDT Print View

Hey Laurie. I started taking Snickers bars again, but eat them as part of my breakfast so they are not melted. We did a desert trip in January with highs in the 80's and lows in the 50's. The bars were fine.

Edited by jshann on 04/02/2011 12:28:31 MDT.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Re: Re: Rank the Bars on 04/02/2011 13:38:46 MDT Print View

"I started taking Snickers bars again, but eat them as part of my breakfast so they are not melted."

From a desert hiker... put all you chocolate and other melty bars in a ziplock, wrap them up inside your sleeping bag/quilt and they will not melt. Carry your day's bars in an easy to access place, but you must eat them before it gets too hot. Eat other stuff during the heat of the day. In really hot weather I find that salted foods like nuts and Pringles make me feel much better physically. I figure I am replacing the salts sweated out, but have no nutritional or scientific facts to validate it. Pay Day bars aren't too bad to deal with in the heat. Even eating food that is not perfectly balanced in nutrition shouldn't be too bad for you, unless a food allergy is of concern. It is not a steady diet. But then again, I am not a nutritionalist... but have survived decades of junk food eaten in moderation.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Melting Candy Bars on 04/02/2011 14:50:46 MDT Print View

As I am sure many of you have noticed candy bars in the US don't seem to melt so fast anymore - that is due to tweaking the manufacturers have done for longer shelf life. For that you do take a hit in the chocolate realm (ie..chocolate flavor versus the real stuff). It also allows the companies to make the bars for a lot less $. Now for hiking I don't have any issue with that - although at home I wouldn't eat it ;-) What it buys us is the ability to carry candy bars and have them stay together.

I am trying to remember the article I read on this a couple years ago - one reason also was getting products that could be shipped to Iraq/Afghanistan that would be edible for the military in high heat.

Anyhow, when I get a soft candy bar (which doesn't happen too often here) I wait till I come to a cold stream. Then insert the wrapped bar into the stream and shake it back and forth for a couple minutes, it will harden up fast.

I carry candy bars, cheese and other items that heat can soften in my cozy during the day usually.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Pringles on 04/02/2011 14:53:38 MDT Print View

Nick,

Pringles are a near perfect food for hot hiking. Any potato chip - such as kettle fried - will work. It is the combination of potassium and sodium + water that does it. Potato chips are often a better choice than even bananas or orange juice. And the boost of fat is also a good shot for us!

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Pringles on 04/02/2011 15:05:09 MDT Print View

The problem with Pringles is that they are full of saturated fat, which is the least healthiest form. Despite the extra calories of Pringles, some of us have to avoid the extra saturated fat. Now, if they could make those things with nut oils and olive oil or something, that would be interesting. Of course, they would probably taste like crap.

I was on a trek in Nepal, and we had been eating moderately healthy food, but it was rather low in fat. One day, one of the guys found some Pringles for sale, so he bought the small size can (smaller than a Coke can) for about $8.00. He wolfed that down in a few minutes because of his craving for fat. Then he went back and bought another one.

--B.G.--

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Pringles on 04/02/2011 16:26:59 MDT Print View

Bob,
If you loiter around natural food stores (which I love to) you can get potato chips made with nearly all oils these days. You won't get "Pringles" but you can find some very tasty kettle style ones! (Which I prefer)

As for that you can also check out Kettle brand potato chips which use Safflower and or Sunflower oil in their line, with very little saturated fat!

David Drake
(DavidDrake) - F - M

Locale: North Idaho
Re: Re: Pringles on 04/02/2011 17:08:34 MDT Print View

Safeway brand kettle chips: 150 cal/oz. 1 gram sat. fat, 0 gram trans fat. Ingredients: Potatoes, sunflower and or corn oil, salt. Tasty, and I bet the thicker chips won't crush as easily as Pringles or regular potato chips.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Pringles on 04/02/2011 17:37:43 MDT Print View

"Safflower and or Sunflower oil"

That sounds promising. Thanks, Sarah.

Now all I have to do is to figure out how to pack those into a Pringles can.

--B.G.--

Brad Fisher
(wufpackfn)

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains
Re: Re: Re: Pringles on 04/02/2011 18:34:01 MDT Print View

Hands down the Big Sur bar is the best bar I have ever eaten.

Brad

Brian UL
(MAYNARD76)

Locale: New England
Rank the Bars on 04/02/2011 22:35:39 MDT Print View

I don't personally get why people choose to buy those expensive candy bars that taste so bad? If Im going to indulge and eat junk on the trail for the convenience ( and the excuse) its going to be Snickers or something. At least most mainstream candy bars are far lower in gluten and vegetable oils than the so called "healthy" candy bars marketed to hikers.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Rank the Bars on 04/02/2011 22:38:35 MDT Print View

+1 on Snickers. They really satisfy...

kevin smith
(divr6347) - M
bars on 04/02/2011 22:50:44 MDT Print View

snickers and the marathon bars (made by snickers) used to be my favorite

the snickers is still one of my favorites but i have to say that after trying a couple of those honey stinger bars i got at rei the other night i am a big fan of them the chocholate peanut butter ones are great and the coconut whatever that one is is pretty good too now to find a local source for them so i don t have to drive 1.5 hrs to get them lol

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Rank The Candy Bars on 04/03/2011 10:19:08 MDT Print View

If we are going to talk about cheapie grocery strre candy bars....
Payday bars
Mounds Bars

I need to go hiking so I can have both :-D

john Tier
(Peter_pan) - M

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA
Chocolate Bars on 04/03/2011 14:59:41 MDT Print View

Do not melt when in the center of a poncho line or your quilt, etc... In the US Army Jungle School in the heat of Panama this is proven all the time.

Enjoy!.... Plus 1 for Snicker from me also.

Pan

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
Snickers on 04/03/2011 17:03:53 MDT Print View

Seems like Snickers are pretty popular. I'm diabetic so hiking trips are the only time I can have such indulgences.

KERI POEPPE
(WRYN) - F

Locale: Minnesota
Olympic Bar was my favorite on 04/03/2011 17:18:03 MDT Print View

My treat on the JMT was Olympic Bars, and the turtle and mocha version were outstanding. At $3 each these bars are out of my food budget, but I lucked into a close out sale before my hike. The bars were tasty and soft without appearing to being full of preservatives. If money grew on trees, I'd take these on all my hikes.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Re; Rank the Bars on 04/03/2011 19:25:10 MDT Print View

For those here who like the different energy bars; how are you ranking your favorites?

Taste?
Total Calories?
Carbs?
Protein?

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Rank the Bars on 04/03/2011 20:08:36 MDT Print View

1: Ingredient list (I can't have artificial coloring)
2: Taste
3: Texture
4: Everything else