Forum Index » Gear Lists » Colorado Trail Clothing

Display Avatars Sort By:
Allen Butts
(butts0989) - F - MLife

Locale: Northern Rockies
Colorado Trail Clothing on 03/27/2011 14:16:43 MDT Print View

I need some feedback on my current clothing layout for my colorado trail hike this coming summer (2011). I'm starting the trail on July 8th and plan to finish around August 5th. I'm willing to swap gear in and out to try and find the lightest but most effective and safe combination of clothing for my trip.

This is what I'm currently planning on taking:
Wrightsock socks X2 (2oz)
Patagonia Cap 3 top (7.2oz)
Patagonia Cap 3 bottom (6oz)
Nike Dri-fit running shorts (3oz)
Golite poly t-shirt (3oz)
First ascent down vest (9oz)
Sierra designs rain pants (7oz)
Golite Virga (7oz)
Mountain hardwear powestretch gloves (1.5oz)
Generic microfleece beanie (1.5oz)

Things I have but wasn't planning on bringing:
REI midweight socks (2oz)
Nike Dri-fit running tights (8oz)
Montbell U.L. Tec jacket (11oz)
Arc Teryx Atom LT jacket (12oz)
Marmot Windshirt (4oz)

Edited by butts0989 on 03/27/2011 14:18:10 MDT.

Sid Riddle
(shiree) - F

Locale: Southeastern US
re: CT clothing on 03/27/2011 18:03:07 MDT Print View

If you wanted to carry both a rain jacket and wind-shirt for the similar weight of the Virga you could go with a dri-ducks top and your marmot wind-shirt.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
ct on 03/27/2011 19:08:27 MDT Print View

I'm guessing the weather is similar in CO to MT (if not disregard :))- I use my windshirt- a lot! If I'm hiking and the least bit chilled the windshirt comes out- breathes extremely well (vs a rain jacket that does not); if it's a typical short duration afternoon thunderstorm- the windshirt's DWR usually does the trick, bugs biting- windshirt; I even occasionally use as part of my sleep system

personal preference, but I don't use rain pants (seems like if I'm going to get wet, pants don't make much a difference)- the rain skirts now offered in cuben do look intriguing though

I normally don't find a vest warm enough (and I consider myself on the warm end of the scale)- a light down jacket is my preference, especially for a month long hike at elevation

by all accounts, sounds like a great trip! :)

Eric Swab
(ericswab) - M

Locale: Rockies
Colorado Trail Clothing on 03/27/2011 19:47:52 MDT Print View

Allen,

I tried the "vest / baselayer (REI midweight) / rain jacket" combo last year in August in the "Never Summer Range" and was chilly in the arms on a breezy cloudy morning and in the evenings.

I would swap the vest for your Montbell for only 2 more ounces.

I agree with Mike the windshirt is my best top layer.

I think you will need the rain pants since you just have shorts and the Cap3 baselayers.

Will you be able to get out and experiment a little before your trip? Maybe a couple of "24's"?

Eric

Eric Swab
(ericswab) - M

Locale: Rockies
Colorado Trail Clothing on 03/27/2011 21:21:55 MDT Print View

Another thought you could just go with convertible nylon pants and lose all other bottom layers (base layer, shorts, rain pants). But having some options may be good given the unpredictable weather and the length of your trip.

Matthew Zion
(mzion) - F

Locale: Boulder, CO
Re: CT on 03/28/2011 09:03:07 MDT Print View

I'll see you out there! Your list is very similar to mine but I'll be going wind shirt vs rain jacket, ExLight vs vest, and no Cap3 Layers. I could end up a little cold but I don't feel that they will be necessary.

tyler marlow
(like.sisyphus) - F

Locale: UTAH
CT clothes on 03/28/2011 11:20:26 MDT Print View

i'll chime in as well...

I'll be hitting the trail around June 23 and will most likely be wearing

Pat Cap 2 LS zip neck
Running Shorts or Montane Pants (i sunburn easy but like shorts better so im undecided)
Windshirt (made for cycling, NOT water resistant)
DriDucks Jacket
Momentum 90 Rain Pants
Pat Nano Pullover
Silkweight Tights
Liner Gloves
Wigwam Cool-lite socks
Salomon XA pro

Im debating bringing an umbrella, i just ordered a chrome dome but i hear that it might not be too useful above treeline cause of all the wind. Ill probably bring it anyways and the DriDucks and the wind jacket just to test everything out.

Allen Butts
(butts0989) - F - MLife

Locale: Northern Rockies
CT clothing list on 03/29/2011 12:18:23 MDT Print View

Do you think it would be worth it for me to sell my montbell u.l. tec and pick up a regular u.l. jacket or parka? also would wind pants be a smarter choice than rain pants for weight? switching both of those factors would save me about half a pound total...

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
clo on 03/29/2011 12:49:06 MDT Print View

before you make that decision, I'd try and find one of Richard's threads w/ clo values- it's very possible you'll drop weight AND gain warmth going the down route

I'm probably not the best to ask on the rain pants as I mentioned I don't use them, I do sometimes bring along a pair of MB stretch windpants (I hike almost exclusively in shorts, not pants)- the DWR is pretty good and will shed a fair amount of H2O, of course they breath a lot better than any rain pant- not a lot of weight savings w/ this particular wind pant, but there are lighter ones available