Forum Index » GEAR » The Trail Runner Thread

Display Avatars Sort By:
Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: Re: Trail Runners on 03/27/2011 21:21:08 MDT Print View

Shoes are a personal thing, but I just wanted to warn you that I got stress fractures from minimalist footwear and 20+ mile days so they aren't for everyone. If you go that route I recommend you stop if your feet start to hurt to avoid injury.

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Locale: SoCal
Thanks much on 03/27/2011 21:58:40 MDT Print View

John, thanks for your comments on your current shoe and the fact you gotta tape your heel for it.

Brad, I appreciate your tried shoe and the one that may become the new go to. Thanks.

Larry, I see NB show up a fair bit. And the sock comments are appreciated.

Nick, thanks for coming back and providing more commentary and insight. You tried the insoles and maybe they were an expense not needed. But now you know. I'm trying to avoid up some of this up front, though I know there'll be a few things that will wind up not working out. I just walked again in my Super Green feet. I think I'll give them one more go and if they don't feel right, I'm going to give them the axe.

Bradford, thanks for the comment. I'll be listening to my feet, especially for what you noted.

I'm heading down tomorrow to try on some more shoes and I'm gonna make a decision soon, whether at a store, or buying on line. With the return policies of some of these websites, it's tempting to just order a pair in two sizes and send back the looser. I'll let you all know what I do.

Chris Morgan
(ChrisMorgan) - F

Locale: Southern Oregon
Shoes on 03/27/2011 22:28:00 MDT Print View

1. Your favorite shoe and what you like/dislike about it?
Whatever's on sale for less than $50. (Heaven's to Betsy!) Most shoes seem pretty similar to me, so the big issues for me is how fast do they dry after I've dunked them in a stream, and do they fit my funky calcaneus.

2. What sock do you wear with it? Wool, synthetic, light- or medium-weight?
Wool - whatever's on sale or the REI/EMS/etc. merino generics.

3. Low sock or one a bit higher to stick out the top of a short gaiter?
I like 1/4 length.

4. Did you go to a shoe fitter?
I did until I stopped growing. Now I wear a 12 sneaker.

5. Do you use an insole or have a custom insole like a Shoe Dog?
Nah, but then I have pretty decent feet (save my funky calcaneus)

Chris Morgan
(ChrisMorgan) - F

Locale: Southern Oregon
Re: Shoes on 03/27/2011 22:38:18 MDT Print View

Also, Sierratradingpost has had some crazy deals on Montrails lately - about $40 with coupon code:

Here's one for 30% off: TUW7228W

I find Montrails fit me just great. Got a pair of Sabinos a few weeks ago. Wore them for the first time today - no breaking in necessary! Amazing!

$40 - if you don't like them, send them back. $40.

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Thanks Chris on 03/27/2011 23:53:27 MDT Print View

I'll check out the deals at STP. I appreciate the tip and also your comments on shoes-n-socks.

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

REI on 03/31/2011 20:42:06 MDT Print View

I was on vacation and I went to my local REI on Monday and looked at many shoes, amoung them, the Montrail Rogue Racer and Sabino, Salomon XA Comp 5 and XA Pro 3D Ultra 2, Vasque Mindbender, Saucony Peregrine, and at another store New Balance MT101, Brooks Cascadia 6, and Asics Gel Trail Sensor 4. I actually tried on the Salomon XA Comp 5 and the Vasque Mindbender. I didn't care for the Mindbender. It runs a half size big. It does not cradle the foot fully and did not feel very reassuring, similar to the Brooks Cascadia 6. It does have a huge toe box if you need that. I liked the Asics Gel Trail Sensor 4 because it fit very well. It fully cradled my foot, breathed decently, and had good support. I decided against it though because of the gel on recommendation of a friend who's in the know. I also tried on the Salomon XA Comp 5. Really liked that shoe for the opposite reasons I did not like the Mindbender and Cascadia. It was like the Trail Sensor 4 and maybe a bit more stable. So, I'm down to the Salomon XA Comp 5 and may decide to buy a pair of Inov8 315s and choose the winner from those two. (No local Inov8 dealer, so I cannot try them on)

Does anyone have other shoe recommendations? I think I'm about there but would be glad to hear any other suggestions. I'm not ready to go to a minimal shoe, but I definitely want to go lighter. As I mentioned in another thread, the Salomon XA Comp 5 is half the weight of the Breeze boot I am currently wearing. -Also, I wanted to note that I have avoided shoes with Gortex. It makes them heavier and hotter. Two things I don't need. I want cool comfy feet on the trail.

Edited by WarrenGreer on 03/31/2011 23:30:23 MDT.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: REI on 04/01/2011 00:55:23 MDT Print View

Warren,

You have done a lot of research and fitting. I would just buy the pair that fit best. Time to test the waters. Salomons are good shoes.

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Yep, you are right on 04/01/2011 20:27:13 MDT Print View

Nick, I am sometimes slow to pull the trigger. I needed a kick in the butt and I'm glad you brought it on. Gonna go find my best deal on the Salomons and get em' here soon. Thanks for the prod.

Justin Tremlin
(notu) - F

Locale: Central Washington
I heart trail running shoes. on 04/03/2011 13:05:39 MDT Print View

1. Your favorite shoe? I am currently running in the Salomon S-LAB 2, S-LAB 3, Speedcross 2, and the XR Crossmax Neutral. For my all around trail shoe I prefer the S-LAB 2. The S-LAB 3 is nice but Salomon stiffened the foam used in the fore foot redusing it’s ground feel. I really like the Speedcross 2 for really rocky tails. My only gripe would be the excessive toe to heal ramp. I currently have a pair a Speedcross 2 being modified to lower the heel height. Hopefully this will make the shoe really shine. I just received a pair of XR Crossmax Neutral’s. I have yet to run in them long enough to have a full opinion.

2. What sock do you wear with it? I prefer a synthetic sock because they keep their shape better. I run almost exclusively in the Salomon XT Wings 2 sock. I am thinking of trying out a pair of CEP compression socks (if anyone has thoughts on these I would be interested in your opinion).

3. Low sock or one a bit higher? I prefer a low sock. I use the Salomon S-LAB gaiter early season. They seem pretty comfortable against the skin.

4. Did you go to a shoe fitter? Kind of, I’m a shoe fitter.

5. Do you use an insole or have a custom insole like a Shoe Dog? I used to use orthotics my podiatrist made. Ever sense I changed my gate/foot strike to a short, rapid mid/fore foot strike I have found I do better without them.

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Here's my choice on 04/25/2011 20:40:30 MDT Print View

First Hike in Salomons

Hiked in them last Wednesday. They were great. Mostly flatter land, but put on three or 3.5 miles and they felt great. I hope to get out on a more strenuous hike soon.

Brian Turner
(Phreak) - F
Trail Runners on 04/25/2011 20:47:05 MDT Print View

Trail Runner: New Balance 876s - ran the Pinhoti 100 Mile ultrathon back in November with a pair straight out of the box and had no blisters, hot spots, etc. Great fit, durable, excellent traction.
Socks: Wrightsock CoolMesh dual layer lightweight socks (low)
Gaiters: Dirty Girl
Inserts: Custom (made by my buddy who is a CCEP).
I never have anyone fit my shoes for me. As someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, I know my feet better than any sales person.

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Re: Trail Runners on 04/25/2011 20:54:10 MDT Print View

Brian, thanks. I just purchased a pair of the same socks you mentioned above last Saturday. Hope to use them this week.

wiiawiwb wiiawiwb
(wiiawiwb) - F
X-Talon 212 on 04/25/2011 21:33:07 MDT Print View

Another loyal fan here. I have two other INOV-8 models but the 212s feel like you're driving a BMW. Built for speed, holds the road and can shift on a dime.

What I find particularly unique is the way it fits my feet. The shoe cocoons, or envelopes, your foot in with no movement of your foot inside. The show becomes your foot. No other shoe has ever fit like this before.

If I ever find a decent sale I will load up on a few pair myself. I also plan on trying the X-Talon 190.