So, I've been in the planning stages for quite some time to make a pretty involved super-pack. Oh yes, I know, nobody wants to see pictures of this pack like I do. However, for the time being, I simply need a backpack and I need this first version to function well, or at least partly well, without a bunch of remakes. So, bypassing the elaborate drawings I have, I decided to return to an early idea that I had.
In December, I had decided that the military Alice pack was a pretty sweet looking pack. I made the first 3 pouches to start building one of my own. These pouches then sat unused, taking a back seat to my water bottle holder project.
Rather than start from scratch, I decided to complete this Alice Pack. I built the main compartment and added a pseudo daisy chain for attachments. Following the traditional Alice design, I installed grommets and a drawstring closure. At the end of the day, I had a sack with three pockets attached.
In this pic you can see my water bottle kit, overseeing the process.
The next day, I built an inner pocket, short frame sheet and attached the lid. I finished the pack on day 3, installing and adjusting the straps. The finished pack...
All in all, I think this pack turned out pretty good. I may do some more work on the outer pockets so that their lids seal things up better. I may adjust the suspension more as well, though it doesn't ride too bad. I'm happy with it, even if it is just a bunch of pouches stuck together.