Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Good Book On Reading The Weather?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Nathan Moody
(atomick) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Good Book On Reading The Weather? on 10/24/2006 19:20:59 MDT Print View

As an enthusiastic amateur nature photographer and backpacker, I find myself increasingly interested in weather, specifically reading current conditions and being able to know what to expect in the coming hours. I'm willing to invest some time into learning the theory then observing local conditions.

I've done plenty of research and of course have several books on the ol' Wish List, but I'd love to hear if anyone has a book they'd specifically recommend as a good weather primer with solid, relatively easy-to-implement ideas, knowledge and techniques.

Richard Nisley
(richard295) - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Good Book On Reading The Weather? on 10/24/2006 22:29:36 MDT Print View

"The Weather Book", by USA Today. Awsome graphics make complex subjects easier to understand. My favorite.

"Weather for Dummies", by John D. Cox. A distant second to the first selection but a good reference book for the non-expert.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Good Book On Reading The Weather? on 10/25/2006 10:32:21 MDT Print View

The National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Weather is a good resource.

http://www.randomhouse.com/knopf/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780679408512

I believe they also make a pocket guide to reading clouds and storms, but I can't recall the exact title.

Dondo .
(Dondo) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Good Book On Reading The Weather? on 10/25/2006 21:07:03 MDT Print View

This one looks pretty interesting:

http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Weather-Forecasting-Snowboarders-Mountaineers/dp/089886819X/sr=8-1/qid=1161831133/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-4589348-8124832?ie=UTF8&s=books

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
excellent book on weather on 12/06/2006 06:31:13 MST Print View

You might want to check out the book, Mountain Weather, written by Jeff Renner and published by The Mountaineers Books. My current wilderness backpacking and paddling experiences are not in mountainous regions and I still found this book very useful.

The ISBN is 0-89866-819-X and their website is www.mountaineersbooks.org

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
Re: excellent book on weather on 12/06/2006 21:40:04 MST Print View

sorry guess mine was the same that Dondo posted - great book anyway