Forum Index » GEAR » ultra light rain pants for ultra running/fastpacking

Display Avatars Sort By:
Art ...
(asandh) - F
ultra light rain pants for ultra running/fastpacking on 03/25/2011 12:53:39 MDT Print View

I have a pair of somewhat light rain pants, but ...

I'm looking for a pair of rain pants that are as ultra light as possible,
No bells and whistles, as minimalist as possible,
the more breatheable the better but weight is more important.
something that's just a step up from wind pants.
These would rarely get used, mostly in the pack as a worst case backup.
would be used in over night ultra running and fastpacking situations.
cost is a minor issue as I'm independently middle class.

My upper is a North Face Triumph anorak and I'm happy with it.

any ideas ?

Carsten Jost
(Carsten010) - M
Marmot Essence Pants on 03/25/2011 13:13:27 MDT Print View

Marmot Essence Pants

William Johnson
(Steamboat_Willie)
Cloudkilt on 03/25/2011 13:25:59 MDT Print View

I suggest Zpack's Cloudkilt.

1.6 oz. (for regular size), three sizes available.

CLOUDKILT

Cloudkilt (Front)

Edited by Steamboat_Willie on 03/25/2011 13:26:30 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: ultra light rain pants for ultra running/fastpacking on 03/25/2011 13:26:52 MDT Print View

"These would rarely get used, mostly in the pack as a worst case backup"

Driducks if just for worst case. Coated/membrane pants like GoLite Reed (discontinued) are light, but not as breathable, but more waterproof. No free lunch :)

Assuming you have wind pants anyway, a rain wrap/skirt is about as minimal as you can get.

http://www.ula-equipment.com/rainwrap.asp

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: ultra light rain pants for ultra running/fastpacking on 03/25/2011 13:32:04 MDT Print View

I'm not very optimistic about running in a kilt!

Edited by funnymoney on 03/25/2011 13:32:54 MDT.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: ultra light rain pants for ultra running/fastpacking on 03/25/2011 13:34:27 MDT Print View

as pretty as the "skirt" looks, it doesn't quite fit the bill. lower legs not covered, and fear of wind blowing up my skirt.
also ...
I would not be carrying wind pants, so these rain pants would serve as rain/wind pants.

Marmot essence looks interesting, but anything lighter ... without the foot zippers ?

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Re: ultra light rain pants for ultra running/fastpacking on 03/25/2011 13:43:50 MDT Print View

"I'm not very optimistic about running in a kilt!"

Less drag than sticky rain pants and better ventilation. You did say worst case and light. Didn't seem to slow down the guys charging full tilt in Braveheart!

Edited by dwambaugh on 03/25/2011 15:11:42 MDT.

Chris Benson
(roguenode) - F

Locale: Boulder
montane featherlite's? on 03/25/2011 14:13:14 MDT Print View

linky

Aaron Reichow
(areichow)

Locale: Northern Minnesota
DriDucks! on 03/25/2011 15:48:16 MDT Print View

DriDucks, all the way. For most 3-season situations, anything more is a waste of money and weight. That's been my experience, at least!

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
suspenders for dri ducks on 03/25/2011 15:56:14 MDT Print View

If you add some sort of light suspenders to the dri ducks the are less likely to blow out
at the crotch.

dan mchale
(wildlife) - MLife

Locale: Cascadia
chaps on 03/25/2011 17:56:45 MDT Print View

It's hard to beat chaps if you aren't going to use them much. For running they can vent well. I'm not sure what the state of the art is currently but I made some in the 90s and they are great whenever I use them. Cant beat them for compactness.

Edited by wildlife on 03/25/2011 18:00:25 MDT.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

ultra light rain pants for ultra running/fastpacking on 03/25/2011 18:04:39 MDT Print View

I think I'd rather just have some Pearl Izumi ultrasensor tights, something that can get wet but will keep you warm while you are moving. It's only when you stop that you might need another layer to keep the wind off. Silnylon chaps and/or a silnylon or cuben rain wrap would be easy to slip over tights.

Richard Mock
(moxtr) - M

Locale: The piney woods
Re: Re: ultra light rain pants for ultra running/fastpacking on 05/23/2013 14:17:24 MDT Print View

What's the matter Todd; the wind up the skirt worked historically for Marilyn Monroe. (LOL)

Edited by moxtr on 05/23/2013 14:18:27 MDT.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Re: ultra light rain pants for ultra running/fastpacking on 05/23/2013 14:25:19 MDT Print View

marilyn

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: ultra light rain pants for ultra running/fastpacking on 05/23/2013 14:42:40 MDT Print View

I wrote about some Bellwether Aqua-No rain pants that weighed 6.8oz in XL size:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=76738

From Richard Nisely's report on the breathability/water resistance of the newer Houdini fabric, it looks like the wind pants might make a good option for light precip.

DriDucks sound good for occasional use. I imagine they could be tailored easily enough to get the bulk down. Certainly the cheapest option.

I normally use Marmot Precips which hit the balance of cost/weight/performance for me. My XL pull-on version weighs 9.8oz.

Peter Bakwin
(pbakwin) - F
SD Cloud on 05/23/2013 14:48:50 MDT Print View

SD Cloud pants might work. Just 3.5oz.

Alex Wallace
(FeetFirst) - F

Locale: Northern California
Mont-bell DYNAMO wind pants on 05/23/2013 15:33:19 MDT Print View

Mont-bell DYNAMO wind pants. I have no experience with these but have always been intrigued by the weight.

DESCRIPTION
The Dynamo Wind Series offers an excellent blend of breathability & comfort, while sheltering you from pesky insects, light precipitation, or alpine gusts. Being highly compressible and light in weight we defy you to find a reason not to take them to the trail on your next peak ascent, trail run, or mountain bike excursion. We all head into the wilderness with hopes for a “blue bird” day, but only the wise are prepared for a curveball from Mother Nature.

FEATURES
Crimped fiber, woven fabric "cut on the bias" to provide 2 way or Bias stretch
Elasticized waist with drawstring
11 inch ankle zippers
Simple draw cord waist adjustment
Small inner key pocket
Stuff sack included

TECH SPECS
12-denier rip-stop Ballistic Airlight nylon
Polkatex® DWR treatment
Size: S/ M/ L/ XL
Color: GM(Gunmetal)

[Weight] 2.6 oz.
Compressed: 2.6" x 1.8" x 3.6" (stuff sack included)

Edited by FeetFirst on 05/23/2013 15:34:38 MDT.

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
ultra light rain pants for ultra running/fastpacking on 05/23/2013 15:37:40 MDT Print View

Montbell Versalite Pants 3.6 oz.

My son just bought a set (jacket and pants) and I was so impressed with the weight and how they compact, that I have ordered a set for myself (set is under 11 oz).

I just hope this latest run resolves the quality issues that were mentioned in an earlier BLP review. The material is unlike any of my other Montbell rain shells and is very much like a wind top in weight and feel.

We'll see how they hold up.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: ultra light rain pants for ultra running/fastpacking on 05/23/2013 15:53:12 MDT Print View

I would save the money and go with a trash bag skirt for this Art.
If running/fastpacking, I never really need to keep my legs dry anyway.
If things really get crazy, the skirt at least helps keep your shorts/aRse a little warmer.

In my experience rain pants or wind pants, especially if running in the rain, always end up wetting out from the inside and sticking miserably around the knees/calves anyway.

Edited by xnomanx on 05/23/2013 15:54:10 MDT.

Jason Mahler
(jrmahler) - M

Locale: Michigan
Luke's on 05/23/2013 16:08:56 MDT Print View

I typically am hot enough to stay warm in a rain, so my rain gear is more for hanging in camp and creating a little micro climate to dry my clothes or to wear over my sleeping clothes. These work for me and only weigh ~2.7 oz.

http://lukesultralite.com/content/silnylon-pants