Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
WTB- Basically everything but a pack and clothes
Display Avatars Sort By:
Evan Parker
(ecp12) - F

Locale: Upstate NY
WTB- Basically everything but a pack and clothes on 03/25/2011 11:21:07 MDT Print View

Hi guys, so I've been incredibly interested in backpacking for a while, and over spring break I took the plunge with a school group that went to the Smokies for a week. Turns out I loved it, I mean I absolutely fell in love with it. Problem is that I rented all of my gear from my school except all of my clothes. I just purchased a pack on here, but I'm in serious need of a bag, pad, tent, etc. Obviously, being in college, my funds are extremely limited, but I just want to see if anyone has anything to help me get started out. Thanks a ton!

sandy boyd
(sandylwes)

Locale: eastern washington
bag on 03/25/2011 11:36:21 MDT Print View

Hi- I have this bag for sale.....

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=41207&skip_to_post=360300#360300

Let me know....

sandylwes@yahoo.com

Curtis B.
(rutilate) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Size / Interests? on 03/25/2011 11:47:54 MDT Print View

I have a ton of stuff that I'm willing to help with--just need to know your size and interests. Are you interested in going ultralight right away (and spending more) or are you more interested in just getting stuff to enable a new habit and upgrading later?

What kind of temperature ranges/deluge potential? Warmer weather or cold? Dry and arid country or rainy and yucky?

Oh, and welcome to the most addictive and potentially expensive hobbies around!!

Edited by rutilate on 03/25/2011 11:48:44 MDT.

Evan Parker
(ecp12) - F

Locale: Upstate NY
Re: Size/ Interests on 03/25/2011 17:06:51 MDT Print View

Well, I was actually inspired by a member on here who was with me on the trip who hiked the PCT this past summer. So, I would like to go as light as I reasonably can, but obviously right when I start out, I'm not going to be able to get that light. Pretty much, I'm looking for whatever I can get right now both for me and my girlfriend since I've convinced to to try it, and just from hearing me talk about it, she's starting to like it! Since I'm in Upstate NY, the potential weather varies a lot, but to begin with, I'll probably just be trying to focus on nicer, warmer weather, but obviously, the cold and rain seem to take a liking to my general area. My girlfriend is from Sacramento, so I've been looking at places to go out there as well.

In regards to sizing, I'm 6'0" and about 200 lbs. I wear a large up top, and I'm about a 34 on bottom and I have 11/11.5 in shoe size. However, when I was sized for my pack for my trip, I got a medium pack. Thanks so much for everyone's interest and I'm definitely finding out how addictive this hobby can be!

Dave Heiss
(DaveHeiss) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Sleeping pad and alcohol stove for consideration on 03/25/2011 18:36:29 MDT Print View

I've got a few UL items you might be interested in. I was going to eventually post them as part of a larger assortment, but these two might be good for you now.

Big Agnes Clearview pad, 20”x60”x2.5” mummy style, 11oz. Slept on maybe 5-6 nights, always with a thinlight pad underneath. No leaks, no damage, in as-new condition. Includes stuff sack. $25

PackaFeather XL Alcohol Stove. Adjustable heat output in a nicely designed, compact 1.5oz package. Only used a few times, excellent condition. $20

Prices include USPS shipping (CONUS). Paypal OK, but buyer pays the transaction fees. You can send me a PM or email me directly. Thanks!

tim hower
(jeepcachr) - F

Locale: Great Lakes
size pack on 03/25/2011 18:39:45 MDT Print View

I don't haven't anything to sell you but I'd recommend you go in to somewhere reputable and get fitted for a pack. I'd guess you'd be more likely to need a large in most packs. At 6' you could easily be in between a med and large and it will help to know your torso size. The rental company may use packs with a wider range or just put you in a med because thats what they had.

Good luck and don't let lack of gear stop you. You don't need much to begin enjoying the outdoors. Don't try to buy it all up front, the more you go the more you'll know what you need and what you like.

Mike Knapp
(IdahoMike) - F

Locale: Idaho
Prioritization on 03/26/2011 12:31:58 MDT Print View

I see that you are wanting to buy "everything" so let me give you a bit of a perspective from a guy who has been down the road of traditional backpacking, ultralight backpacking, getting people started in the sport, taking my kids backpacking, etc.

1.) Get a scale and Excel to track your total pack weight. You may think that a $400 sleeping bag is what you need to save a pound, but you may be surprised how much weight you have in some of your more mundane items such as clothing or your hydration system.
2.) If you want to go ultralight, get a pack LAST. If you can borrow or rent a reasonable pack, do that until you get all your ultralight gear. An ultralight pack will not have the right suspension system for carrying your heavier gear, an it will also be too small for carrying bulkier items.
3.) Begin by buying lightweight clothing. You will be able to use clothing for years and you will save a couple pounds with the right clothing.
4.) Focus on getting out. I have always enjoyed backpacking, even when I didn't have a lightweight setup. If your pack is heavy, set up a base camp and take day hikes or just hike less distance each day. No big deal. It's always better to get out than to shop for gear anyway.
5.) Rationalize your gear purchases by comparing the cost of other kinds of vacations and stuff you could spend money on...I made it out about 12 nights last year...$100 a night for a hotel...I didn't spend $1200 on gear. Or think about the four-wheelers you aren't buying...they are expensive to buy and then they need gas and licensing and a trailer to pull them. This is actually a pretty cheap sport by comparison if you just rationalize it the right way. :)

Good luck and have fun!

Edited by IdahoMike on 03/26/2011 12:33:15 MDT.