(ckopp) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Yosemite " Epic snow Trip" 2011 on 03/28/2011 21:37:00 MDT Print View

Great trip report!!!!

Matthew Marasco
(BabyMatty) - F

Locale: Western/Central PA, Adirondacks
re: on 03/28/2011 22:34:06 MDT Print View

Awesome pics! Looks like quite the adventure!!

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Re: Yosemite " Epic snow Trip" 2011 on 03/29/2011 23:12:37 MDT Print View

I was just taking a look at all of these photos again. Do you guys think putting the blocks around the inside perimeter of your tarps would have kept out the wind driven snow somewhat? Did anyone have any stakes pull out with those winds? What stakes or tie out method was everyone using? How far did you end up hiking on this trip?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Yosemite " Epic snow Trip" 2011 on 03/29/2011 23:27:12 MDT Print View

For next time, there is an established Sierra Nevada method for digging in. If you have a tarp/shelter similar to a Betamid, you lay it out flat on the snow surface, then trace a line around that outside edge. Now set the tarp aside.

With your shovel and/or snow saw, you cut snow blocks out of the area within the line. The blocks are roughly 12 inches by 12 inches by 8-10 inches deep. As you cut them out, you set them straddling the line, half inside the line and half outside the line. You build up the snow block wall that way. After a while, you will have cut about two blocks deep into the hole, and those were used to build the wall about three or four courses high above the surface. The total of that is about 5-6 courses of depth, which is 40-60 inches from the bottom of the hole to the top of the wall. One end of the wall should be downwind, and the entrance walkway is left there.

Then take your tarp/shelter and begin to stretch it over the top of the wall. Assuming that you have ski poles, trekking poles, skis, or an old piece of tree branch, you have the choice of using them as center poles or roof trusses to support the tarp/shelter as a roof skin. That can be anchored down with the remains of the snow blocks. When finished, there should be floor room for two to sleep.

--B.G.--

Marc Eldridge
(meld) - MLife

Locale: The here and now.
Re: Yosemite " Epic snow Trip" 2011 on 03/29/2011 23:52:29 MDT Print View

http://www.toughstake.com/

I used 6 of these with the solomid. On one of Jack's last pictures you can see the attachment to the line on the solomid crossing the trench I dug. I like the established Sierra Nevada method for digging in. It would have been nice and weather tight.
Dewey Point is 3.5 mi. from the parking lot at Badger Pass

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Yosemite " Epic snow Trip" 2011 on 03/30/2011 00:14:01 MDT Print View

"I like the established Sierra Nevada method for digging in."

Cross country skiers trying to cross the Sierra Nevada in a minimum number of days need to cut a lot of weight out, and the first step of that is with shelter. I've only slept in the 2-person version, but it also scales up to a 4-person version. If you want to gild the lily, you take one long pole from a real tent (typically aluminum 10') and use it as the primary roof truss. That allows you to keep all of your skis and ski poles free for action.

I wish I still had my old web site from several years ago, because I had a step-by-step instruction with illustrations for this. Oh, well.

--B.G.--

Richard Niemi
(rickniemi) - F - M

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains
"Yosemite " Epic snow Trip" 2011" on 03/30/2011 00:21:13 MDT Print View

Bob,

Your old site might be here.
http://waybackmachine.org/
or here
web.archive.org/

Rick

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Re: Re: Yosemite " Epic snow Trip" 2011 on 03/30/2011 09:06:22 MDT Print View

Thanks for the info Marc. For some reason I thought you guys were out past Dewey Point. Since seeing them at the OR the Toughstakes look very promising, good to hear of an actual report. Which size did you use, the small?

Marc Eldridge
(meld) - MLife

Locale: The here and now.
Yosemite " Epic snow Trip" 2011 on 03/30/2011 09:38:07 MDT Print View

Jacob
I used the small stakes. The snow that I embedded them in was the crust we encountered when we went in on friday.