Forum Index » GEAR » Titanium JetBoil - The Sol Ti

Display Avatars Sort By:
. Callahan
(AeroNautiCal) - M

Locale: Stoke Newington, London, UK.
More info' on 03/23/2011 20:27:55 MDT Print View

"Can you provide a product # for this specific item?I have been eyeballing these items for over 6 months but this is the first time this lightweight adapter has appeared."

John,

Here's the original (ended) eBay auction that I bought mine from, they're the same details as the shop stocked item. The image enlarge and zoom features still work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=370473956322&si=l6vO6zZ0JctvUgTgAEcqRADWlXo%253D&viewitem=

The shop in the previous link also stocked them at the time.

These are well crafted devices, the ultralight (my designation!) comprises five separate components, including a very well fabricated brass jet, and arrives in a heat sealed bag, itself in a clear storage box.

I guess that they're made in small batch production runs and when sold, the process is repeated.

I didn't really want to put an eBay contact link up at the moment, due to the unprecedented circumstances affecting those in Fukushima.

Mark Hudson
(vesteroid) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Sierras
confusion on 03/23/2011 20:44:22 MDT Print View

I think there may be some confusion over the sol and the sol TI.

THE sol is available now and its lighter than the standard one, the TI I dont beleive is available, at least I cant find it in any store so far.

I had never really considered just boiling 3 times for my family of 3, maybe I do need to rethink my set up for the jmt.

I guess you can never have too many stoves, this will make a penny stove, 2 different ti tri infernos for two different pot sizes, a soto, and now a jetboil.

Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Locale: So-Cal
solo stove for group on 03/23/2011 21:41:26 MDT Print View

"I had never really considered just boiling 3 times for my family of 3,..."

It works fine. 700 ml (3 cups) of ice water boils in about 4 minutes at sea level. With warmer water and lower boiling point at altitude it could be even faster. The stove/fluxring cup is very efficient. Their 12 liters/100 grams fuel is supported by my tests (presuming they used room temp water, not ice water)

With the family, each pot full was good for two mugs of soup or hot drink. The Sol is 20% shorter but will probably boil about 600 ml without risk of boiling over. I found that I could make drinks for the kids, then by the time I had poured packets into my cup and the wife's the next potful was hot.

Here's a thread I started last year with a couple of testing notes:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=18542

ROBERT TANGEN
(RobertM2S) - M

Locale: Lake Tahoe
Where to buy Ti JetBoil on 03/24/2011 00:14:01 MDT Print View

"Sol Titanium Personal Cooking System – JETBOIL
http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/product.asp/imanf/JETBOIL/idesc/Sol+Titanium+Personal+Cooking+System/Store/MG/item/224682/N/0
Item #: 224682
Price: $149.95
Description:
Extreme conditions and your stomach require the dependability and functionality of the JETBOIL's Sol cooking system. The built-in Thermo-Regulate technology keeps internal canister pressure equalized so you can cook with consistent output down to 15 degrees. The titanium system makes you pack supremely light.
Features:
• Now you can bring the weight-saving, hassle-free performance of a canister stove to 4-season activities with Thermo-Regulate technology
• Insulated drink-through lid with a protective plastic bottom cover doubles as a measuring cup; translucent lid so you can view contents and see if water is boiling
• You'll get the best quantity for your capacity when you boil up to 50 cups of water with one JETPOWER isobutane and proprane microcanister
• Once you've packed up all of the components, it'll take up a space smaller than a Nalgene bottle
• Boil 2 cups in 2 minutes - even at 75-80% efficiency, all thanks to the the FluxRing heat exchanger that captures and focuses the burner's heat
• Does not come with fuel canister or utensils

twig .
(bretthartwig) - MLife

Locale: Australia
Re: Where to buy Ti JetBoil on 03/24/2011 01:10:12 MDT Print View

I sent an enquiry to Jetboil last week and got this response
"The Sol-Ti should be available sometime in April"

Ken Nguyen
(ninjapuppet) - F - MLife

Locale: B-Town
also available at backcountry gear on 03/24/2011 02:56:41 MDT Print View

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/Stovedetail.cfm?PRODUCTS__ProductID=JTB131

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
NM on 03/24/2011 07:21:16 MDT Print View

NM

. .
(biointegra) - MLife

Locale: Puget Sound
Re: Titanium JetBoil - The Sol Ti on 03/30/2011 15:17:53 MDT Print View

Edited by biointegra on 04/06/2011 11:28:57 MDT.

David White
(davidw) - F

Locale: Midwest
Available 4/17 at REI on 03/30/2011 19:08:45 MDT Print View

As of this morning, I was told by REI that they expect delivery to their warehouse on April 17; but no promises. You can call in and pre-order now and use your dividend and 20% off coupon. The item number is 813621, but you'll have to phone it in as it doesn't show up yet on the website.

Paul Hatfield
(clear_blue_skies) - F
vs. Soto OD-1R Micro Regulator stove on 03/31/2011 10:47:04 MDT Print View

How does Jetboil's Thermo-Regulate compare to Soto's Micro Regulator in the OD-1R?

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim)

Locale: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Re: Re: Refilling a fuel canister on 03/31/2011 13:03:10 MDT Print View

Benjamin Tang wrote: >Wonder if there's an adapter that will work with MSR / Snow Peak canisters??
Ben, the refiller featured in the previously referenced link works on any standard threaded canister including MSR and Snow Peak.

HJ

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim)

Re: Refilling gas canisters. on 03/31/2011 13:07:14 MDT Print View

Callahan,

How well does the little black refiller work? Does a lot of gas escape when you use it?

Have you tried the little black one on anything other than the standard threaded canisters? Camping Gaz? Powermax?

HJ

. Callahan
(AeroNautiCal) - M

Locale: Stoke Newington, London, UK.
It works for me! on 03/31/2011 14:08:31 MDT Print View

"How well does the little black refiller work? Does a lot of gas escape when you use it?"

It appeared to work fine, I made sure that the top canister was in line with the canister being refilled and don't think I lost much, about the same as when I've topped up my Silva Helios.

To be honest, although an information sheet mentions the use of a freezer prior to topping up, I just tried it as I would with a lighter, more of a 'just try it', than a meticulous refueling exercise. I did wear eye protection though and was outdoors.

"Have you tried the little black one on anything other than the standard threaded canisters? Camping Gaz? Powermax?"

I only use the standard threaded canisters, and that's the only one I've tried it on.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim)

Re: Refilling gas canisters. on 03/31/2011 14:54:54 MDT Print View

OK, nice! Maybe I'll have to check into one of the black ones. They certainly are a lot cheaper.

HJ

John Nausieda
(Meander) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Refilling canisters on 03/31/2011 17:49:51 MDT Print View

Do either of you know the specific part number for the black plastic adapter? I can't find it at the site. Thanks, John I just now saw the previous posting of the Ebay auction. I saved it a Word document including the pic so I can eventually send it to him . I advise anyone else interested in the item to do the same as the listing will eventually vanish at Ebay.

Edited by Meander on 03/31/2011 18:14:05 MDT.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim)

Re: Refilling canisters on 03/31/2011 20:06:27 MDT Print View

They must not have sold well. He's not listing anything new.

Although it could have been the Tsunami.

HJ

John Nausieda
(Meander) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Not listing on 03/31/2011 20:17:59 MDT Print View

He tends to list very little, using E-bay as an introduction to his site.That makes sense since so few know what he is selling. I'm sure he is quite busy with the emergency. My assumption is that if he is approached for a deal like the old deal he'll do it , but of course things may be very different if his supplier is wiped out or sold out.I'm curious as to your strategy. I'm thinking of nursing along old canisters just for summer with cheap pure butane. The longer game is powermax, although it may make sense in the long term to abandon the aluminum canister vs. the new Coleman adapter despite the weight in winter since similar mixes do the low temp trick.What are your thoughts?

Edited by Meander on 03/31/2011 20:26:15 MDT.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim)

Re: Not listing on 03/31/2011 23:33:29 MDT Print View

I bought a bunch of Powermax canisters at a local place that was discontinuing them. I've got 27 canisters, so that ought to do me for the next few decades, lol. Probably overkill.

For summer, I'll use an upright canister on 100% butane refills or an alcohol stove. For winter, probably Powermax since I've got so much of it.

If I need to, I can refill the Powermax canisters.

HJ

Bailey Gin
(pugslie) - F

Locale: SLO County
Re: Re: Not listing on 04/01/2011 09:51:58 MDT Print View

Hey Jim. How are you refilling the Powermax canisters?

Bailey

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim)

Re: Re: Refilling canisters on 04/02/2011 08:00:19 MDT Print View

Bailey,

I actually haven't refilled Powermax canisters yet, but I plan to try using a Kovea propane to standard threaded adapter with a Brunton Fuel Tool. I'll post something if I try it out.

In the mean time, I have a ton of Powermax canisters from when Sports Authority was getting rid of them.

HJ