Forum Index » Philosophy & Technique » Whats wrong with my half pyramid?

Display Avatars Sort By:
John West
(skyzo)

Locale: Borah Gear
Whats wrong with my half pyramid? on 03/22/2011 13:08:32 MDT Print View

OK so I'm new to tarping, and just finished making a 5x8.5 tarp, and was practicing pitches this afternoon by my house. I was able to get a nice low A frame pitch, but I had a hard time getting my half pyramid to look right. It was way too low on the sides, and my feet touched against the walls at any direction I tried to lay. I am about 6'. Here are some picshpyramidhpyramid2

The type of pitch I was shooting for would be something like this one on MLD's page
http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=89

I was thinking maybe instead of staking to the ground, use a length of guylines on the sides maybe?
Thanks

Edited by skyzo on 03/22/2011 13:09:40 MDT.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Whats wrong with my half pyramid? on 03/22/2011 14:17:11 MDT Print View

Hi John,

I'd bet you're on the right track with getting the edges off ground level via guylines. In addition you may need to raise the apex.

It's likely the MLD tarp's extra half-foot makes a difference too.

Good luck,

Rick

Edited by halfturbo on 03/22/2011 14:28:09 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Whats wrong with my half pyramid? on 03/22/2011 14:38:05 MDT Print View

Release the back/center stake and get the ends squared away fist, then stake/guy the center. As the other writer noted, getting the pole higher will help, as will extending the corners with guy lines-- raising the whole rig a few inches. The guys help adjust for site variables too--- you never get a flat even site. It's like trying to do origami on a lumpy table :)

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: Whats wrong with my half pyramid? on 03/22/2011 15:24:42 MDT Print View

Hi John,

Maybe try releasing the tension on the two front corner stakes of the open side of the tarp by swinging them in slightly towards your tent pole.

Hopefully it will create two ridgelines from your tent pole to each of the rear corner stakes. This may raise the body of the tarp on the two low areas in the picture.

This link to Etowah Outfitters how to video may help also.

Party On,

Newton

Edited by Newton on 03/22/2011 15:46:58 MDT.