Climashield Combat Toe Cozies
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
Climashield Combat Toe Cozies on 10/21/2006 21:56:13 MDT Print View

Climashield Combat Toe Cozies

When I made my Climashield Combat Quilt/Liner for my Bivy I made it about 6" to long. When I cut off the extra I saved it thinking I might use it as a neck scarf. I took it with me on my GA Hike. One night I slid a little off my sleeping pads and my toes got cold. I woke up and fixed my sleeping pads and put my Cuben booties and another pair of socks on.

You could almost say I made the toe cozies on the trail. At the half way point of the hike we did a resupply and stayed overnight at the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega, Ga. Late that night as I repacked I came across the "scarf" material. I cut the piece in half and with thread and needle I hand stitched the edges and made my toe cozies.

I wore them each night of the rest of the hike. They worked great and kept my toes nice and warm. I made them as big as the material I had. If I make more I might make them a little bigger. The tie cord was some extra I had and like I use for my tarp guy lines.

The pair of Toe Cozies weigh 18 grams or 0.63 ounces.

Toe Cozy with my Wal Mart 1.07 ounce a pair socks. I wore these socks on my short Sub 2-pound hike.

Edited by bfornshell on 10/22/2006 08:07:25 MDT.

Colin Parkinson
(parkinson1963) - F
Toe Cozy on 10/22/2006 17:45:56 MDT Print View

Brilliant I will make a pair in short order. My toes allways freeze when I get near my sleeping bag rating. I suspect mine will weigh a little more but for the one or two oz, the warm feet ar worth it/

David Wills
(willspower3) - F
genious! on 10/22/2006 19:35:59 MDT Print View

That is such a great idea. You never cease to amaze me Bill.

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Climashield Combat Toe Cozies on 10/22/2006 19:50:28 MDT Print View

David,
Thanks for the comment.

Did you have any insulation left over from your Quilt? Make yourself a pair.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Climashield Combat Toe Cozies on 10/23/2006 02:34:23 MDT Print View

Now that's a great example of "necessity meeting the inventive mind".

Consider this variation ... add a thumb to these and they get a second use as a mitten.

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Climashield Combat Toe Cozies on 10/23/2006 06:05:31 MDT Print View

Jim,
I agree but I only had this one piece of scrap left over.

Also, If I had mittens along I could have used them for my feet.

Next time I will plan to have more quilt scrap left over. Mitts, cap, scarf, booties, hood, vest, pants, jackets etc - endless list of possible uses for the left-overs.