Forum Index » GEAR » Shelter Crossroads

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Shelter Crossroads on 03/24/2011 08:25:09 MDT Print View

Have you considered perhaps gear from Alpinlitegear.com? I think you might be able to get full bug protection and double walled for around 20oz.

If you rob a bank, you could look at the Lightheart Gear Solo in Cuben for full protection (hybrid double wall) about 14oz.

Hike Ultralight
(HikeUltralight) - M

Locale: Southeast
Re: Shelter Crossroads on 03/24/2011 10:17:01 MDT Print View

"Have you considered perhaps gear from Alpinlitegear.com? I think you might be able to get full bug protection and double walled for around 20oz."

The Terraform option seems to be a good one as well. Seems like I have a few options around the 20-24oz mark. Now I guess I need to decide what is best for me. Here are my options, does anyone have any pros/cons for someone 6' in the Southeast looking for full weather and bug protection?

MLD Cricket - ~19oz

SpinnShelter + Alpinelite Net Tent or Bivy - ~18-20oz

SpinTwinn + Alpinelite Net Tent or Bivy - ~16-19oz (may not have full weather protection?)

Solomid + Net - 22oz (May be too short?)

Terraform MD + Net Tent - 25oz

Sublite Sil - 24oz (out of stock so would have to find on GearSwap)

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Shelter Crossroads on 03/24/2011 11:00:39 MDT Print View

I have dealt with Gen @ Alpinlite a few times and he is fantastic (plug).

Given where I trek and the sideways rain we get periodically, I really like the look of the Terraform MD with front and rear beaks. You can really batten down the hatches so to speak. The Cricket looks very neat but I think the exposed entry way is a deal breaker for me.

Ross Bleakney
(rossbleakney) - MLife

Locale: Cascades
Re: Shelter Crossroads on 03/24/2011 11:30:38 MDT Print View

I would definitely get a solo shelter, instead of a new two person shelter. You have a good two person shelter that you both like, so I wouldn't mess with it.

There are a bunch of great solo shelters out there, and a lot depends on personal preference. If I was a value shopper, I think I would get a TarpTent Contrail. It has been tweaked (refined) over the years, so I consider it to be a very good shelter at a great price. I personally like it because the apex is by your head. Other people feel the opposite, and prefer a mid type shelter (so you can sit up in the middle of the tent, instead of by the door). Mids also have the advantage of being a bit more storm worthy, especially since you don't have to aim them away from the wind.

Other tent makers I would suggest browsing:

Six Moons
MLD
Lightheart Gear
Alpinlite Gear
Hyperlite Mountain Gear
ZPacks

I know I'm forgetting a bunch, but hopefully that will help (although it looks like you've already browsed some of these already).

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Shelter Crossroads on 03/24/2011 11:36:21 MDT Print View

I didn't see any mention of the Lightheart Solo/Awning/Wedge. There's a video review of the Solo on Hendrik's site Hiking in Finland.

Also, if you go the route of a SpinnTwinn, take a look at GoLite's SL-1 Nest. It is heavier (at 16 oz) than Alpinlite's net but the floor is a little more durable than 30D sil so you wouldn't necessarily need a groundcloth. Also, it is usually around $50 online.

Hubert Blanchard
(bertmail)

Shelter Crossroads on 03/24/2011 11:39:37 MDT Print View

I have not used this one, but the shaped tarps and net tents look "Ray-Way" at: http://bearpawwd.com/index.html

I am in the same situation, I have a Squall 2 that I love, and a sil-poncho set up, but need a good solo system with bug protection.
I will be interested in your final solution.
Good luck!

Hike Ultralight
(HikeUltralight) - M

Options on 03/24/2011 11:49:50 MDT Print View

The lightheart and bearpaw tents mentioned are a little heavier than I am looking to go. I would like to stay as close to 20oz as possible without giving up full weather/bug protection.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Shelter Crossroads on 03/24/2011 11:55:21 MDT Print View

Rob - how much would you be willing to spend? As mentioned, the Lightheart Solo is available in Cuben for only 14oz!

Hike Ultralight
(HikeUltralight) - M

Lower on 03/24/2011 12:15:10 MDT Print View

Lower the better goes without saying, but 300 is really the upper limit. That pretty much keeps me out of any Cuben shelters, sadly. I still need to replace a few more pieces of gear this spring, getting a Cuben shelter would keep me from doing that.

Hike Ultralight
(HikeUltralight) - M

List on 03/24/2011 14:06:24 MDT Print View

Unless I missed something, here is what I have listed as viable option for the following requirements:

Under $300
Full weather/bug protection
25oz or less (although Terraform MD + Net Tent is 27.7 oz)

The list is the shelter, rough cost, weight savings over TT DR, and price per house of savings. My priorities are (in order): Full Weather/Bug Protection -> Weight -> Then Cost (but under $300).

SpinnShelter + Alpinelite 1.25 + Guyline and Stakes $315 17 $18.53
Teraform MD + Alpinelite 1.25 + Guyline and Stakes $300 13 $23.08
MLD Cricket $275 21 $13.10
MLD Solomid $300 21 $14.29
SMD Lunar Solo $235 17 $13.82
GG The One $295 21 $14.05
TT Sublite Sil $200 16 $12.50