Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Just bought a Gossamer Gear The One Tent need tips on seam sealing.
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dan Momii
(DanMomii) - F

Locale: Santa Cruz County, CA
Just bought a Gossamer Gear The One Tent need tips on seam sealing. on 03/21/2011 10:29:16 MDT Print View

Hi everybody, I just bought the one and need some tips on seam sealing it.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: Just bought a Gossamer Gear The One Tent need tips on seam sealing. on 03/21/2011 11:51:20 MDT Print View

Dan,

With this material and method there is no thinning or guess work.

Go to your nearest auto parts atore and get one or two tubes of Permatex Flowable Winshield Sealer. At any store of your choosing get some disposable foam rubber brushes anywhere from 1" to 2" in width. I prefer the 1.5" size. It works for me.

You'll be working on the exterior surface of the tent. Set up your tent with the pitch as tight as you can get it in a covered area.

Squeeze out the sealer in small amounts onto the tip of the foam brush and brush it on "sideways" into the seam making sure to cover the thread and any "edges" of the seams. Don't use the "flat" of the brush. Keep the narrow part of the brush in line with the seam. If your brush covers the whole seam rotate it 90 degrees to get into the position that I am describing.

Let it cure for 24 hours. Here is a tip. Don't wait for a dry, low humidity day. The humidity helps the silicone to cure. You don't want it to be raining or dripping wet but 65% and 70% humidity will not harm the process.

If when you have let it cure the seams still feel a little tacky dust them lightly with an unscented talcum powder.

Enjoy your tent!

Party On,

Newton

Morgan Strauss
(voodmann) - MLife
Re: Just bought a Gossamer Gear The One Tent need tips on seam sealing. on 03/21/2011 15:08:33 MDT Print View

I followed the GG seam sealing tips posted on their blog in February. It's a thinning method that worked well for my purposes.

LINKAGE

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Re: Just bought a Gossamer Gear The One Tent need tips on seam sealing. on 03/21/2011 15:20:05 MDT Print View

Edited by annapurna on 03/23/2011 15:59:46 MDT.

Dan Momii
(DanMomii) - F

Gossamer Gear The One Seam Sealing on 03/21/2011 19:04:03 MDT Print View

Hi guys, thanks for your advice, I bought the silnet from Gossamer Gear, so I guess I will be using mineral spirits to thin it out. I wish I would have known about the the Permatex, I would have bought that and used that instead. Anyway can't seem seal now, have to wait awhile, California is unusually rainy this time of year.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Re: Gossamer Gear The One Seam Sealing on 03/21/2011 20:17:47 MDT Print View

The Permatex Flowable Windshield Sealant is selling on Amazon right now for $4.49 + $3.73 shipping.

It is probably as cheap at your local hardware or auto parts store. The sales tax will probably be less than the shipping costs.

The Silnet sold for $7.00.

I've done the silicone caulking and thinned mineral spirits method. I have since moved on to the Permatex Flowable Windshield Sealant and will never go back.

Chalk the seven bucks up to a learning experience. Read Jay Ham's article completely on seam sealing before you make your final decision.

Party On,

Newton

Dan Momii
(DanMomii) - F

Gossamer Gear the One on 03/21/2011 22:03:02 MDT Print View

Thanks John, I will check out the local hardware store auto parts place for the Permatex, and take your advice and use it. Maybe I can keep the Silnet and swap it with somebody. Hate to waste it. Anyway thanks for the advice and happy hiking.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Re: Gossamer Gear the One on 03/23/2011 14:51:19 MDT Print View

You're welcome Dan.

Please report back how everything turned out for you.

Party On,

Newton

Chris Benson
(roguenode) - F

Locale: Boulder
Permatex windshield sealant on 03/23/2011 14:56:40 MDT Print View

John's suggestion is a good one. That windshield sealant is what I used for my GG The One. Cheap, easy to get (my local autozone), and easy to work with. It's held up well over the last year and a half for me.

Dan Momii
(DanMomii) - F

Gossamer Gear The One on 03/24/2011 19:53:59 MDT Print View

K cool will let you guys know how the seam sealing turns out.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Re: Gossamer Gear The One on 03/24/2011 20:06:38 MDT Print View

"K cool will let you guys know how the seam sealing turns out."

That will be great Dan but what we really want are pictures of a happy smiling Dan standing next to his newly seam sealed GG The One tent.

BTW we prefer pictures of you and your tent out on the trail.;-)

Wishing you much success while LOL.

Party On,

Newton

Edited by Newton on 03/24/2011 20:07:17 MDT.

Dan Momii
(DanMomii) - F

Gossamer Gear The One on 03/25/2011 23:05:42 MDT Print View

Yeah guys I will be seam sealing this weekend and hope to do an overnighter in a couple of weeks. I will post picks. See you guys later!

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Gossamer Gear The One seam sealing on 03/26/2011 00:09:00 MDT Print View

Big +1 to Permatex Flowable Silicone. Cut the top at a slight angle and work slowly but steady.

Dan Momii
(DanMomii) - F

Gossamer Gear the one on 03/28/2011 19:14:33 MDT Print View

I just seamed sealed the one a day ago. Everything went well, and I think I did a good job as it was my first attempt at seam sealing. I used the Permatex and it was a little thicker than I thought it would be, maybe it was because it was 50 degrees and raining. Anyway thanks for the tips everybody.

Mark Ryan
(Sixguns01)

Locale: Somewhere. Probably lost.
Silicon on Spinnaker on 03/29/2011 08:49:29 MDT Print View

I have The One and my friend thought he would help me out. He put some Aquarium Silicon Sealant on the floor to help with grip. I was planning on doing this myself but with Seam Grip. He wanted to thank me for lending him my tent. Will the silicone harm the spinnaker material? Will it rip/tear if I pull it off?

Thanks.

Dan Momii
(DanMomii) - F

Will silicone hurt spinnaker? on 04/01/2011 20:38:39 MDT Print View

Hi Mark,

I can't really answer that question, but spending over $300 on a tent, I wouldn't take the risk on something I wasn't familiar with. I would just use the Permatex, it worked for me. Good luck!

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Just bought a Gossamer Gear The One Tent need tips on seam sealing. on 04/01/2011 22:31:49 MDT Print View

Just an FYI: Permatex makes several different kinds/formulas of silicone products. The best for seam sealing is the flowable silicone.

Edit: adding website:

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/adhesives_sealants/sealants/Permatex_Flowable_Silicone_Windshield_and_Glass_Sealer.htm

Edited by saparisor on 04/01/2011 22:34:32 MDT.