Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
3year Round-the-world bike tour
Display Avatars Sort By:
Martin Schroeder
(Mephistopheles) - F
3year Round-the-world bike tour on 03/21/2011 10:27:52 MDT Print View

Hey guys,

Short summary of what we want to do: min. 3 years, 40+ countries, 2 bikes... Start is Rio, followed by the panamericana, then off to asia and back to eruope with the transsibirian railway.

Our website is finally online, you can have a look at www.cyclenomads.com

I had a lot of help from these forums here, so thanks to everyone for suggestions on the gear. We will start in 2 weeks and can barely wait.

If anyone wants to leave some feedback, questions or even more suggestions on the gear, you are welcome to do so :)

. .
(biointegra) - MLife

Locale: Puget Sound
Re: 3year Round-the-world bike tour on 03/21/2011 12:18:31 MDT Print View

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a wild trip, although you will be missing much of the action in N. Africa and the Middle East.

Tim Heckel
(ThinAir) - M

Locale: 6237' - Manitou Springs
The long ride on 03/25/2011 19:22:14 MDT Print View

Wishing you the best!
This reminds me of a talk I went to with Lloyd Sumner, author of "The Long RIde", in the 70s.
Read it if you have the time.

Ben Egan
(benjammin21) - M

Locale: The Grid, Brooklyn
re:3year Round-the-world bike tour on 03/28/2011 14:51:12 MDT Print View

Sounds Awesome! All the best to you!

Can we hear about gear? Not taking too many planes? Impressive.

Have a great trip!

Martin Schroeder
(Mephistopheles) - F
Gear and Planes on 03/28/2011 18:10:39 MDT Print View

Sure we can talk ;)

The gearlist on our website is not finished, not everything is on there and the weights are all dodgy. But it will be in pristine condition before we leave, at least i hope so ;)

We will only have 2 flights, one from Germany to Southamerica, to Rio. The second one should be either L.A. or Ancorage to China/Japan/Korea. Otherwise no flights. We want to do the amazon on a boat, the caribbean with boats/ferry/freighters (hope that works, might be a bid difficult) and south-east-asia with boats again. Phillipines, Indonesia, Borneo. Some I now for sure, but we might have to take 1-2 short flights. One notable exception would be Birma/Myanmar. If we decide to go there we can only fly in, because the borderareas are closed for travellers...

If you have questions about the gear, just ask. Or wait 10 days. I'll write some blogentrys about gear before we leave and as I said, i'll update the gearlist in the website. www.cyclenomads.com or http://www.facebook.com/CycleNomads