Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Natural Water Filtering Technique

Display Avatars Sort By:
Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Natural Water Filtering Technique on 03/21/2011 09:21:15 MDT Print View

In my working frantically to get information in my Disaster Japan relief information dissemination site, I've been reading hundreds of websites sent to me from people all over the world. Here is an interesting water purifying techinique using banana peels. Thought people might be interested.

Edited by butuki on 03/21/2011 09:21:45 MDT.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Natural Water Filtering Technique on 03/21/2011 09:31:16 MDT Print View

Seems that banana peels can alleviate the itch from mosquito bites, too, I just heard.

will sawyer
(wjsawyer) - F

Locale: Connecticut
Re: Natural Water Filtering Technique on 03/21/2011 11:18:46 MDT Print View

Miguel, I was told about their itch relieving properties when I had a bad case of poison ivy. Not entirely sure they work, but I did smell good for a few days.

-Will

Boyan Boyanov
(GroovyGeek) - F
Is it really needed? on 04/16/2011 22:38:30 MDT Print View

I am not a very frequent hiker, but I get a feeling that people in the US freak out over water filtration too much. For God's sake, I have seen people refuse to drink tap water in major European countries. Major or minor country, the tap water is safe EVERYWHERE in Europe.

Got back from Patagonia recently, and some of the people I was traveling with had qualms about drinking from the streams even there. So my question is -- with all the hoopla and $100 water filtration gadgets, is there real evidence that one needs to worry about water in mountain streams in the US? I will drink out of most that look clean without second thought, have not had an "incident" yet.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Is it really needed? on 04/17/2011 08:05:35 MDT Print View

I don't know why, but people have very strong opinions about water treatment, for example:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=43422

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Is it really needed? on 04/17/2011 17:36:24 MDT Print View

"I don't know why, but people have very strong opinions about water treatment"

Part unfounded fear and part well founded caution in many areas. If you have ever had Giardia, or it's big brothers, Bacillary and Amoebic Dysentery, you will tend to error on the side of caution. Bacillary Dysentery in particular comes on pretty rapidly and will put an end to your trip in short order. Amoebic Dysentery takes a bit longer to develop but, let me tell you from personal experience, you don't want to go there. Fortunately, neither of these pathogens is a threat in US mountain areas, to my knowledge. They do need to be taken into account when travelling in certain areas overseas.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Natural Water Filtering Technique on 04/17/2011 17:59:18 MDT Print View

Not going to do anything for bugs though. The banana peels just act as a chelating agent for metal ions.

Cheers

Justin Nelson
(jnelson871) - MLife

Locale: CA Bay Area
Re: Natural Water Filtering Technique on 04/17/2011 18:07:13 MDT Print View

Banana is a great remedy for Giardia also. Had a dog with it one time and after months of vet treatment and no results a friend of mine from Pakistan told me that they use bananas as a cure. Sure enough after two weeks of getting banana chips as treats the bus were gone never to return. Luckily I have not had to test this method on myself. Amen Aqua Mira.