Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Platypus alternative hose fittings

Display Avatars Sort By:
put put
(putput) - F

Locale: Hawaiian Islands
Platypus alternative hose fittings? on 03/20/2011 18:41:55 MDT Print View

Does anyone know of an alternate screw-on hose fitting for platypus bottles. Specifically, it would be used for a inline gravity filter setup with a Sawyer filter. I know that platypus used to make a hose fitting that has been discontinued and I believe the only way to get them now is to buy the whole kit. Since I already have the bladders, hoses, and filters all I need is a way to connect them.

Here is what I know about the platypus caps:

- 28mm (same size as many screw top drink bottles)
- Fittings were originally made by Colder Products Company as a custom product. I emailed them and the response confirmed that but offered no specifics as to current retailers.

I am looking for something that would screw on to a platypus bottle then couple with the standard(?) .25" hosing.

Maybe something like this, but I have not been able to find them in the correct size:Nylon female fitting

Alliteratively, I did try to make one out of a used soda cap bottle and a loose barb fitting, and while it works at home I would not trust its durability on the trail when my water supply depends on it.
Any suggestions? Thanks.

Edited by putput on 03/20/2011 18:56:52 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Platypus alternative hose fittings? on 03/20/2011 19:29:54 MDT Print View

check this at Arrowhead equip.

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1191146

cap

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: Re: Platypus alternative hose fittings? on 03/20/2011 19:50:25 MDT Print View

Ken -- Thank you for the link. (I will use the post office delivery. The home delivery looks a little steep).

put put
(putput) - F

Locale: Hawaiian Islands
Thanks Ken!! on 03/20/2011 23:58:21 MDT Print View

That makes it easy for me. I'm sure there is a creative solution out there, but since there is still a supply and the price is so good I even ordered a couple extra.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Platypus alternative hose fittings? on 03/21/2011 06:13:41 MDT Print View

Glad to help. Paul is a good guy to deal with.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Alternative Platy cap on 03/21/2011 07:54:31 MDT Print View

Try this. Pull the bite valve off, which leaves you with a hard plastic stem that you can attach your tubing to. The nice thing is that the hard stem rotates to open/close the outlet.

http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/platy-accessories/hyperflow-cap/product

paul ron
(camper10469) - F

Locale: North East
E-mail Platty on 03/22/2011 21:18:51 MDT Print View

I broke mine by accident n asked platty if I can buy another, they sent me one free cuz I asked nicely.