I just finished my bivy based on Jamie’s Lytw8 design and the other info. Chris and Stephen have shared. I haven’t had a chance to take it out yet, but I’m happy with the way it turned out. I used silnylon for the floor, M90 for the top and Nano-seeum for the mesh panel.
I changed just a few things from the Lytw8 design. The width at the head of my bivy is 30” instead of 25” and the width at the foot is 28” instead of 25”. I also increased the width of the mesh panel to 9”, which I think will work great for stargazing, while still giving decent spray protection. Finally, I added a zipper (approx. 36”) down the side of the bivy for easier entry/exit.
Final weight came out to 6.6oz, which I think is great for the features I’ve included. Here are some photos with my Lafuma Down 650 and Therma-Rest Prolite 4 inside:
I really like the look of the Evergreen M90 with the gray silnylon body.
I added an additional tie-out at the top of the mesh panel. I attached an additional line to the guyline with a slip-knot and then to the tie-out to really open up the head area of the bivy. I haven’t field tested this but I figure it will be fun to experiment with.
Plenty of mesh to scope the night sky and hopefully keep condensation levels low.
Top unzipped and open for non-buggy nights.
The side-zipper definitely makes getting in and out much easier. Worth the very small weight increase to me.
Thanks to Jamie for the great Lytw8 design and to Chris and Stephen for posting pics and info. on their bivies. I can’t wait to try it out in the field. Next on the list is a cold-weather down quilt. Gotta feed the MYOG addiction…
Thanks for having a look!