November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Seal-A-Meal Coffee Filter/Pre-Filter
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Seal-A-Meal Coffee Filter/Pre-Filter on 03/18/2011 10:42:04 MDT Print View

I was on the and saw a survival water system they offer ( They made a pre-filter from heat-bonded plastic to hold a #4 Melita water filter. I have a Seal-A-Meal and I thought I would try knocking one off.

I traced out a #4 filter, heat sealed the diagonals, punched a row of holes in the bottom with a paper punch and trimmed to suit. 4.7 grams!

Works best with containers with a large opening, but you can scrunch it into a Nalgene. It is fine once you get a little water and weight to settle it down. I made another to fit #2 filters.

Seal-A-Meal filter holder

Seal-A-Meal filter holder

Jennifer Lane
Great Idea! on 03/18/2011 19:11:34 MDT Print View

Great idea! How does the coffee filter handle sediment/muddy water? That's just about all I have in my neck of the woods.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Great Idea! on 03/18/2011 19:24:08 MDT Print View

Not my idea, but I'm good at adapting.

That's the idea, to get the sediment out-- I use a Steripen, not to mention using chemicals is better without the crud. And you can make coffee with it too :)

Daniel Fosse
(magillagorilla) - F

Locale: Southwest Ohio
number of uses on 03/19/2011 07:51:37 MDT Print View

How many uses do you think you could get out of a filter? I woul dthink 1 or 2. I guess you could carry a bunch of them. Seems like a metal coffee filter would be more reusable. The paper filter would be really good at removing silt though.

I have a little fuel filter, funnel thing I use, has a screen in it.

lynda schroeder
(lyndasch15) - F
Re: Seal-A-Meal Coffee Filter/Pre-Filter on 03/19/2011 08:10:39 MDT Print View

Pretty slick! Let us know how it works.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: number of uses on 03/19/2011 11:24:25 MDT Print View

How many sessions for filtering water? I'm sure it depends on the amount of silt. The wet filters are a little fragile too. I have used a #2 cone and filter and they do a good job of cleaning up the water, but the cone takes up nearly as much room as a cook pot and it does add a couple ounces.

I thought this was a clever design and I couldn't resist making a Seal-A-Meal copy. I have tried to work compact water carrying methods into my survival kit and this little zip-top bag and pre-filter system is the best I have seen so far. A one liter Platypus works great but for the neck and cap making it less compact.

I don't do a lot of multi-day trips, so the holder and a few filters are more than enough for weekenders. Most of the water I encounter is clear, but you do need to have some methods for pre-filtering; of course, a bandana or micro towel will do the job too. This is so light and compact it can just be part of my regular cook kit. I use instant coffee most of the time, as the wet grounds are a pain, but it is nice to have real coffee. When we car camp, a Melita cone and a thermos are our primary coffee making kit.