(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Re: Re: Dousing the Flame on 03/18/2011 18:29:33 MDT Print View

LOL. I HATE caldera cones! :)

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Say it ain't so Ben, say it ain't so on 03/18/2011 19:21:26 MDT Print View

Ben, you don't like Caldera Cones? Really, are you kidding? (or just dangling bait :)

I just got a CC Sidewinder & Inferno kit. So far so good with the Inferno woodburner. Amazingly efficient compared to an open fire.

Tomorrow I'll try ESBIT & the Gram Cracker in different configurations of tablet placement.

But Ben, if ya truly don't like the CC why?

Christopher Graf
(cgraf) - M

Dousing the Flame on 03/18/2011 19:31:14 MDT Print View

I'm with Ben on this.
The main reason I'm not a big fan of the caldera cone is the bulk compared to my current system (Four Dogs Combination Alcohol/Esbit Stove, Trappers Mug with CF Lid) which including windscreen nestles nicely inside my Mug. The Caldera is more efficient but more so when cooking for two and I'm generally solo.

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Eric and Ronald Comments on 03/18/2011 21:34:12 MDT Print View

Eric,

You asked "Have any of you experimented with the horizontally split style of hipbelt? "

I haven't and haven't seen one so I can't even comment.

Ronald,

I have used an upper and lower buckle. Perhaps this is similar to the one you have used? I liked it. My wife and a friend of mine weren't interested in trying it on the packs I made for them, however. They preferred the convenience of a single 2" buckle.

Daryl

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Dousing the Flame on 03/18/2011 21:39:24 MDT Print View

Guys, my "hate Caldera" post was just a response to Jerry's post about alcohol vs. canister. With a smiley at the end!! Something lighthearted to douse the flame that Eric started. That's all.

OK, back to ripping hip belts....

Paul McLaughlin
(paul) - MLife
Re: "Split" hipbelts question on 03/19/2011 17:06:51 MDT Print View

Eric - I don't think it's worth playing with due to the added complexity of sewing one. My hipbelts are so light (160d uncoated cordura/1/4" FY20 foam/160d uncoated cordura) that a split design would make almost no difference in weight, and the lightweight fabrics and foam are supple enough to conform quite readily to the shape of the hips. Plus it seems to me that a split belt has by definition less area, and distributing the same load over a smaller area means higher pressure and less comfort.
I have tried Dan McHale's double buckle arrangement, and for bigger loads (like over 35 lbs) I think it works well, giving more adjustablity and a geater ability to spread the pressure more evenly. But unneeded for loads under 30 lbs.

The Cossack
(thecossack) - F

Locale: sedona
absaroka on 03/19/2011 18:27:28 MDT Print View

sumi

i just got the absaroka pack because i have light loads for desert hiking but sometimes need to carry 2 or more gallons of water- climbing the red slide out of muley twist canyon in capitol reef is sublime and enchanting but not fun with 20 lbs of water

Sumi Wada
(DetroitTigerFan) - F

Locale: Ann Arbor
Re: Suggestion on 03/20/2011 12:12:24 MDT Print View

>> Don't mean to bang on this drum again, but if you are carrying 30 lbs you don't want a UL pack.
>> go to a store and try all the "name brand" lightweight packs you can ... most big names have fairly decent hipbelts

I've been thinking about these suggestions and spent a good part of yesterday trying on mainstream production packs. I tried to concentrate on women-specific packs but I have to say that ~40-liter women's packs were few and far in between. They all seemed to be >50 liters or <30 liters. And, even more frustrating, even when the pack does come in a women's version, the stores apparently rarely stock them. I was told, more than once, "It's just like this men's version... but made for women." Well, DUH, that's a no-brainer. But when I asked about the width/shape of the straps and the angle of the hipbelt... nobody seemed to know.

I'm having a women's Deuter ACT 40+10 (thanks, Ty, for the suggestion) and a Gregory Inyo 45 brought in to try on based on trying the men's versions/equivalents.

THEN, I came home and put on the Ohm again... and I have to say that there's something about the simple UL packs that I still really like. While the Deuter/Gregory packs felt so rigid and solid (which, I realize, translates to supportive), the Ohm feels really nimble. I really think that, given the choice, I would still prefer the Ohm with a "better" hipbelt.