Forum Index » Chaff » Can't open BPL on safari . . .

Display Avatars Sort By:
Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Can't open BPL on safari . . . on 03/17/2011 14:22:48 MDT Print View

This is a tech question, so there are possibly better places to ask, except (a) folks here might have encountered something similar and (b) only BPL won't open so I might go into serious withdrawals soon.

BPL is the only site that won't open using Safari on my iMac AND on my iPhone using wifi at my house. BPL will open on my iPhone using AT&T. I've done all the basic resetting. Anyone have any ideas why only one site would be affected?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Can't open BPL on safari . . . on 03/17/2011 14:37:23 MDT Print View

Do you have any other browsers on your iMac that you can try to see if it's duplicated across browsers? If not, download Firefox or something and give it a try.

Aaron Benson
(AaronMB) - F

Locale: Central Valley California
A fluke? on 03/17/2011 14:39:40 MDT Print View

Sorry for your withdrawals, Steve! Here at work I can access via Safari, my iPhone, or my laptop/PC. Perhaps it's just a fluke; I've slow connectivity issues with BPL once in a while and my connection will time itself out, but that's trying to access BPL from a PC, Mac, or phone.

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: Can't open BPL on safari . . . on 03/17/2011 15:23:50 MDT Print View

I'm not a computer wiz but I've had similar problems before where a website would not show up like it was down. I figured it was down but then accessed it at work so I knew there was a problem. I think what happened is I accessed the website while it was down and that got stored in come chache or something.

You mentioned you reset everything, but not sure what that means. What worked for me was powering down my modem and then starting it up. Try that if you have not done it yet.

Michael Cockrell
(CAL-EE-FOR-NIA) - F

Locale: Central Valley, Lodi-Stockton, CA
Re: MacBook Pro access on 03/17/2011 15:34:10 MDT Print View

I use Safari on my MacBook Pro.

I also can access with FireFox

Both allow BPL access.

Sure you didn't post some wild hiking menu item that was "just-to-strange" to eat, even with this group?

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Can't open BPL on Safari on 03/17/2011 16:00:30 MDT Print View

Strange thing is that this wasn't a problem until Wednesday afternoon and I can't think of anything out of the ordinary or sites I visited that seemed a likely gateway for malware. Now, the BPL site starts to open and basically just keeps trying to open. The fios connection seems fine and all other websites open ok.

Maybe Benjamin Tang sent a virus called "methinks".

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Can't open BPL on Safari on 03/17/2011 17:22:15 MDT Print View

Okay, try this. Open Safari preferences, go to the "Security" tab. Click on "Show Databases". Delete any databases in there. Close preferences. Try to load BPL.

Let us know if that works.

Doug

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Re: Re: Can't open BPL on Safari on 03/18/2011 10:45:15 MDT Print View

I have Safari 4.1 on my mac mini on dial up internet. I have also used my old G3 blue berry tower with a older version of Safari have had no problem with getting on BPL site.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Can't open BPL on safari . . on 03/18/2011 16:22:00 MDT Print View

I too couldn't access BPL from Wednesday evening through Thursday. Everything is fine now, so something got fixed, and not on my computer (I assumed the site was down, so just ignored it). I had no problems with any other site. Safari 4.1.3 here.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Can't open BPL on Safari on 03/18/2011 16:37:30 MDT Print View

"Maybe Benjamin Tang sent a virus called "methinks"."

Mwahahahaha....

Seriously though, are you still having trouble? Have you tried clearing your browser history? That usually does the trick -- methinks.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Can't open BPL on safari . . . on 03/18/2011 18:23:17 MDT Print View

Strange again, but the problem resolved itself. I did reboot, turn off the router, clear cache, delete cookies, clear BPL from bookmarks, and all of that. In the end, it wasn't working and then I tried BPL and it came up.

I'm thinking about starting my own consulting company where I just go to people's houses and stare at their computer until the problem magically . . . goes away.

Btw, thanks for all the comments.