Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Steve and Barry's Down Jacket

Display Avatars Sort By:
Curtis Ware
(ware_curtis) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Steve and Barry's Down Jacket on 10/19/2006 18:29:37 MDT Print View

Anybody seen the Steve and Barry's University Store. They have a down jacket for 10 dollars. Since the nearest store is couple hours away, I was wondering if anyone knows how much the jacket weighs?

Marion Watts Jr
(mdwattsjr) - F

Re: Steve and Barry's Down Jacket on 10/20/2006 11:08:28 MDT Print View

There is a Steve and Barry's in town here. Don't know the weight, but they specialize in bottom dollar clothing. Six dollar sweatshirts, nine dollar jeans, etc. I would assume that the down used is the cheaper (heavier)variety. Same with the shell materials. If your still intersted, I don't mind give them the ol' eyeball scale next time I'm on that side of town.

Curtis Ware
(ware_curtis) - MLife

Steve and Barry's Down Jacket on 10/20/2006 11:21:00 MDT Print View

If you don't mind. I got one of their polarguard jackets and have been using it on backpack and Scout campouts for last couple of years. It was cheap (price and quality) but extremely light weight and compressable. Best $6.99 spent

Marion Watts Jr
(mdwattsjr) - F

Re: Steve and Barry's Down Jacket on 10/20/2006 14:27:29 MDT Print View

Intersting. I'll try my best to get out there this weekend. I'd look pretty funny carrying my scale in. Got any ideas? Maybe carry something (full Coke can?) to compare it to?

Curtis Ware
(ware_curtis) - MLife

re: Steve and Barry's Down Jacket on 10/20/2006 21:06:57 MDT Print View

Coke would be good comparison. Thanks

Marion Watts Jr
(mdwattsjr) - F

Re: re: Steve and Barry's Down Jacket on 10/22/2006 15:28:20 MDT Print View

Curtis,

Just an eyeball guess, looks like 12-15oz. Hope this helps. P.S. Looks decently made. Should hold up for a while.

Regards,

MD

David White
(davidw) - F

Check Fill Contents on 10/24/2006 16:54:29 MDT Print View

Probaby a great value for the price at $9.98 -- BUT be sure to check the fill content.

The "Double Down" jacket I checked out today at Steve & Barry's had a fill content of 50% Ball Polyfill, 40% Feathers and 10% Down. I did not specify goose or duck feathers/down so its probably duck. Probably not a particularly warm jacket for the weight.