Forum Index » Gear Lists » woman's list?

Display Avatars Sort By:
T kawa
(kitsune) - F
woman's list? on 03/17/2011 08:33:09 MDT Print View

Hi yall, I've been trying to find some women's gear lists to give me more idea's for my GF. So far all i've found is Piper S's. so can someone show me their list, or thier GF's list? we wouldn't do any winter hiking, but if you have a winter list pleast post it, solo, or couple, I'm just curious. Thanks.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
pm on 03/17/2011 08:35:25 MDT Print View

I can pm you my list later on. More insulation then most male lists.

T kawa
(kitsune) - F
Re: pm on 03/17/2011 10:33:51 MDT Print View

Thanks Katharina, I'd appreciate it.

spelt !
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
gender and individual variation on 03/17/2011 10:38:53 MDT Print View

I've seen the 'women need more insulation' thing before and I'm curious about it. As a kid I remember wrapping in a blanket on family car trips b/c my mom ran the AC at full blast. Years later, she keeps her bedroom window open in the wintertime and only uses a moderate blanket. Is this an anomaly or could 'women need more insulation' be a too-broad generalization?

T kawa
(kitsune) - F
Re: gender and individual variation on 03/17/2011 10:42:47 MDT Print View

Don't want to sound sexist at all, but I think it's one of those stereotypes that's mostly true, but not always. I can't off the top of my head think of a woman I know that doesn't run cold.

but really, this thread was me just looking for gear that women like, I know what I like, but I want to get my GF things that other women like... figure it's more likely that she'll like them than if I just pick them at random.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

insulation on 03/17/2011 10:44:50 MDT Print View

I didn't say all women. I said " more insulation than most male lists", referring to mine. Absolutely true that individual variations apply. Size ( and fat), metabolism, age are all factors.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: woman's list? on 03/17/2011 10:55:03 MDT Print View

Women, on the average, have a metabolic rate that is slightly slower than the average man. But it should take only an extra bit of insulation to ward off cold.

A woman friend of mine had the perfect method for staying warm when sleeping on a snow camping trip. She picked the tent with two men in it, so she nestled between them. That's using your head.

Also, she would arrange a group commissary and made sure that we had an evening meal that was both thermally hot and also spicy hot. That'll keep you warm.

--B.G.--

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

re on 03/17/2011 11:01:28 MDT Print View

NM .
open to misunderstandings.

Edited by Kat_P on 03/18/2011 19:08:24 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: 3 on 03/17/2011 11:03:26 MDT Print View

I have previously declined to be the male in the middle of two females. It just gets too complicated.

--B.G.--

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

re on 03/17/2011 11:11:05 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by Kat_P on 03/18/2011 19:09:52 MDT.

spelt !
(spelt) - F

no criticism intended on 03/17/2011 11:11:26 MDT Print View

Katharina, I wasn't denying your experience, just mentioning that I'd seen it said before. As it runs opposite my experience, I just wondered about others'. I'm sorry for the sort-of threadjack, Russ.

Bob, I'm not sure that was the other preferred method Katharina was talking about.

Edited by spelt on 03/17/2011 11:13:57 MDT.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Method on 03/17/2011 11:15:52 MDT Print View

nm
open to misunderstandings

Edited by Kat_P on 03/18/2011 19:09:21 MDT.

spelt !
(spelt) - F

Re: Method on 03/17/2011 11:22:56 MDT Print View

I think I need to start adding < sarcasm > tags. :)

Edited by spelt on 03/17/2011 11:23:51 MDT.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: gender and individual variation on 03/17/2011 15:53:14 MDT Print View

My wife and I wear almost exactly the same clothing when walking. She may put on a warmth layer a bit sooner than me in the evenings. But she weighs a less than me.

And we snuggle together at night when we need more warmth. The only way!

Cheers

Karen Kennedy
(karenk) - MLife

Locale: NE NSW - Australian subtropics
Girl power on 03/18/2011 04:14:40 MDT Print View

My girlfriend and I hike/cycle/paddle together, and we find that perception of cold (or heat for that matter) is an individual thing and not gender specific. Jen feels the cold, and will wear and carry about one layer more than me. I wilt in the heat!

We use merino base layers, synthetic or down insulation, but sun shirts that suit our individual metabolism. I find I need a loose woven shirt where breeze can penetrate the fabric to cool me down in the heat - Railriders just did not work for me as the fabric seems to block the wind and I overheat.

Colour and style are important too, but you're spoilt for choice in the US!

PM me if you have more specific questions.

Cheers.

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: WNC
Re: woman's list? on 03/18/2011 04:46:11 MDT Print View

AT/Bartram Loop in August

This is from a loop around the AT and Bartram trails in Western NC. There are separate sheets for myself, my gf, Robin, and our food.

This was a Summer trip in the SE, so we didn't carry much in the way of insulation. I can't find any Winter lists for us, but we don't have to add/change much down here anyway.

Edited by simplespirit on 03/18/2011 04:48:25 MDT.

Corey Downing
(hardcorey) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Re: woman's list? on 03/18/2011 09:35:19 MDT Print View

I too could use some help with outfitting my gf. I'm slowly convincing her to bring less items but she is not as experienced or confident as I am. In fact, some general advice for getting her to drop some pounds from her pack would be nice.

tim hower
(jeepcachr) - F

Locale: Great Lakes
Re: Re: Re: woman's list? on 03/18/2011 10:06:13 MDT Print View

[quote]I too could use some help with outfitting my gf. I'm slowly convincing her to bring less items but she is not as experienced or confident as I am. In fact, some general advice for getting her to drop some pounds from her pack would be nice.[/quote]

Phase 1, fast cheap method- Make a list of everything your taking before you go. After you go check off the items that got used. Next trip leave behind anything that wasn't checked. Exceptions being first aid and weather related items like rain gear but look at this stuff closely.

If it's tough convincing her to let go, go on a day hike. Have her pack like normal, halfway through the hike take out the stuff you'd like her to leave behind (put it in your pack) and hike back. Then try a short overnight without the surplus gear. Ask her to try it and tell her next trip she can add it back if she didn't like it. See if her enjoyment goes up then be prepared for phase 2.

Phase 2, replace heavy gear. She will enjoy her lighter load so much she will want to replace her gear with lighter gear. This will be expensive. Encourage it and replace your gear at the same time. You will cover more miles and go farther, faster, higher than you previously thought possible. You will be able to get away from the crowded overnight loops and the enjoyment of the whole experience will go up exponentially.

I have converted lots of people to hiking lighter. Not this crazy ultralight obsession some have around here but lightweight hiking and not one person so far has told me they wished there pack was as heavy as it used to be.

Gabe Joyes
(gabe_joyes) - F

Locale: Lander, WY
Wife's list on 03/18/2011 10:32:09 MDT Print View

Here is the set up my wife and I share. We use this May-October in Wyoming with some slight modifications depending on conditions (warmer gloves, down sweater vest, short gaiters, etc.)

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AqQdiTZWplGYdFZ0RUQzS3RpZy0zVjdlMks2c3lqWXc&authkey=CPr1pPQO&hl=en&pli=1#gid=0

Kyle Meyer
(kylemeyer) - M

Locale: Portland, OR
Wife Lists on 03/19/2011 14:49:57 MDT Print View

My wife is a foot shorter and eighty pounds lighter than me, and we find the cold affects her a lot more. She carries a 20 degree bag year round along with down booties, down vest, synthetic hooded jacket, and warm gloves. One thing to consider is if your significant other is less experienced than you, you may be paying better attention to nutrition and exertion levels than them, and are likely more conditioned. The exhaustion, along with doing the bulk of the camp chores while they assist or simply watch, can lead to wildly different perspectives on the weather. It my be different mentally, as well; I am okay with discomfort but the wife is not.

I guess what I'm saying is women's insulation needs are likely associated more with experience than anything else.