Locale: Near the coast in the Netherlands
Montane Minimus Pertex Shield jacket on 03/17/2011 03:00:54 MDT Print View

Montane has a new Pertex Shield jacket with some high breathability claims:

Montane Minimus jacket
Main body - Pertex Shield®
Breathability at 25,000 MVTR
20,000mm hydrostatic head
Weight around 200 grams

What do you think about these claims? I would like to see a BPL test!

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: WNC
Re: Montane Minimus Pertex Shield jacket on 03/17/2011 05:35:30 MDT Print View

They don't say which version of Shield so it's hard to say. If it's a 2/2.5 layer shell, the claims are way off. If it's the 3 layer version, they might be true.

Martin RJ Carpenter
(MartinCarpenter) - F
Updated DS on 03/17/2011 09:06:42 MDT Print View

Well the weight has edged up to 227g (Medium) as per their website.

As for the HH/moisture, I e-mailed them directly about this and apparently its just a new version of Pertex DS. Now there are quite a few 2.5 layer fabrics now making these sorts of claims: Membrane strata for instance so no reason at all that Pertex couldn't have sourced something like this.

What might be more interesting is how far we should believe these tests in terms of comparing these 2.5 layer fabrics with 3 layer ones. Maybe not totally trivial - how for instance would Paclite have compared to the other Gore fabrics using this sort of test?

No idea myself.

Aaron Reichow
(areichow)

Locale: Northern Minnesota
layers on 03/17/2011 10:34:13 MDT Print View

Not to take the thread off-topic... But something I've heard a lot of "gear experts" and retail clerks say is that the difference between a 2 or 2.5 layer fabric and a 3 layer fabric is that the 2/2.5L fabric with breath better, but be less durable than the 3L fabric. This has never clicked with me, as the best breathability ratings seem to be with the 3L fabrics, even when comparing two fabrics within the same brand. See this as an example.