Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Emigrant Wilderness Mid-May

Display Avatars Sort By:
Frank H.
(porker110) - F

Locale: California
Emigrant Wilderness Mid-May on 03/16/2011 23:54:03 MDT Print View

I was planning on taking a few friends to the Emigrant wilderness for the first time. Mid-May is the only time we can all get together. Just wondering if any body know is the roads to CrabTree Trailhead will be open or the back road through Dodge Ridge. Any tips or other Trailhead suggestions in the area welcome. :)

Andrew F
(andrew.f) - F - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Emigrant Wilderness Mid-May on 03/17/2011 00:05:19 MDT Print View

I tried to do the same thing as you last year around May 15. The roads were still closed to Gianelli and Crabtree. But, your best bet is to call the ranger station in Pinecrest; they can tell you the current situation and when the roads usually open.

Andrew

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
"Emigrant Wilderness Mid-May" on 03/17/2011 00:30:38 MDT Print View

As of last Monday morning, there was a good five feet of snow on the road to Crabtree/Gianelli.

Street sign

Mid-May is optimistic for that area....IMO

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
not a chance.. on 03/17/2011 00:43:50 MDT Print View

Last year I went up to crabtree fathers day weekend(mid to late june) and the road was still closed to crabtree(from the horse stables to trailhead). we tryed to drive a little of the way in anyway because it looked patchy and we got highsided and spent an hour trying free it.
this was just the road mind you.. we only saw about 4-5mi of actual trail out the 45mi trip..rest was snow..

Frank H.
(porker110) - F

oh Darn on 03/17/2011 10:41:45 MDT Print View

Yeah, i had a feeling it wasn't going to be open. Does anyone have any suggestions of a 4 day ~40 mike hike.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: oh Darn on 03/17/2011 11:19:05 MDT Print View

Hi Frank,

What are your feelings about snowshoes? :-)

If you're interested in seeing the ground I'd look at the coast ranges or ocean trails or maybe the redwoods. This isn't going to be an early hiking year for the Sierra Nevada, and a big storm due tonight is supposed to add a couple feet to the already fat snowpack.

Cheers,

Rick

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
4day/40mile on 03/17/2011 11:25:18 MDT Print View

No granite slabs, but Henry Coe comes to mind. Lost Coast, doing both north and south sections (I'm not sure of the total mileage on that)?

Frank H.
(porker110) - F

reply on 03/17/2011 11:31:12 MDT Print View

Not too confident in my snowshoe abilities, plus the ones i have are homemade from the Boy scouts, i don't think they will hold up.
I've been to the lost coast before but it was a complete ass kicker for me. walking through the sand, I did have a traditional pack back then. Lost Coast can be an option since my buddy lives in shelter cove. I'm open for anything, just trying to get outside with a couple of friends i only see once or twice a year.

I'm not familiar with Henry Coe at all.

Edited by porker110 on 03/17/2011 11:33:34 MDT.

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
coe on 03/17/2011 11:46:19 MDT Print View

It might be rather warm in May, but it's quite large and lots to see.

http://www.coepark.org/

Frank H.
(porker110) - F

RE: Coe on 03/17/2011 11:56:50 MDT Print View

Does anybody have any experience in Henry Coe. Maybe trip suggestions ie: routes, water availability.

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
emigrant on 03/18/2011 15:15:57 MDT Print View

You could definitely still do emigrant.. you just have to walk some extra miles to the trailhead and you will prob want snowshoes.

Coe is a good park too. thats a good place to go without a plan.. just grab a map and make your own loop

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: emigrant on 03/18/2011 16:33:55 MDT Print View

Maybe the Southern Sierra's or on the East side depending when Hwy 120 opens. Emmigrant will not be happening in mid May....hardly ever is. Maybe Rancheria Falls in Yosemite????

Frank H.
(porker110) - F

RE: Rancheria Falls on 03/18/2011 16:38:07 MDT Print View

Never even heard of Rancheria Falls. Would it be hard getting a permit?

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: RE: Rancheria Falls on 03/18/2011 16:41:56 MDT Print View

Frank it is in Yosemite off of Hwy 120 right before you enter the park. Dunno if the bridge over Wapama Falls is fixed or not. You would have to call the ranger station on that one. That is a nice hike in late spring.

Frank H.
(porker110) - F

Re: RE: Rancheria Falls on 03/18/2011 16:46:38 MDT Print View

Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into it.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
RE: Rancheria Falls on 03/18/2011 16:56:51 MDT Print View

Frank,

Here are photos of Rancheria, but once you see these photos, you will have felt you have been there and won't want to go. :)

BPLer's GGG: Yosemite: Hetch Hetchy Resevior to Rancheria Falls

-Tony

Frank H.
(porker110) - F

RE: Rancheria Falls on 03/18/2011 17:18:01 MDT Print View

What a nice trip report!!! I definitely want to check that out now.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: RE: Rancheria Falls on 03/19/2011 09:02:27 MDT Print View

Frank you also might want to check out Point Reyes where you could do a 3 day trip or possibly the Ventana Wilderness which is just south of Monterey. Both places have much to offer and you can easily fit a multi day trip