Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Eylet tool?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Nathan Baker
(Slvravn) - MLife

Locale: East Coast - Mid Atlantic
Eylet tool? on 03/16/2011 12:28:00 MDT Print View

I was looking to add eyelets to the water bag (so that I can run a line through it - just like the amigo) in the myog gravity filter i am finishing up and was wondering if anyone can give me a good recommendation for a decent eyelet or possibly grommet tool that would do the trick. Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks

Also wanted to add that I am looking for the smallest possible eyelets to finish it up. The smallest I have found are 1/8. Does anyone know if they come smaller than that?

Edited by Slvravn on 03/16/2011 12:30:24 MDT.

Keith Selbo
(herman666) - F - M

Locale: Northern Virginia
tools on 03/18/2011 10:49:49 MDT Print View

I haven't seen anything smaller than 1/8. Remember that the smaller the eyelet, the less stress relief you'll get. Why do you want it so small?

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Eylet tool?" on 03/18/2011 11:27:57 MDT Print View

Nathan,

Check JoAnn fabrics or your local fabric store, they sell inexpensive eyelet setters that should work with several commonly available sizes (>1/8"). I repaired a torn eyelet on my pack with a 1/8" eyelet and gun found locally. For light duty fabrics most cheap options should work. Grab yourself a self healing mat also, makes work easier and cleaner. Are you running thin Spectra through the bag? Yes, they do sell 3/32" eyelets, good luck fidgeting with those tiny things.

Nathan Baker
(Slvravn) - MLife

Re: "Eyelet tool?" on 03/18/2011 12:28:56 MDT Print View

Keith - I was looking for the smallest eyelets to add the least amount of weight to the bag. As for the stress relief, I am thinking that 8 should hold without an issue. If not then Ill upgrade them to a bigger size.

Eugene - joann is exactly where I went and picked one up that has a button setter as well for $11 (had 50% off coupon!). So well see if that is up to the task and if the 3/32 that came with it are not too much trouble to handle. And yes I am running a thin spectra cord through it.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Vick Hines
(vickrhines) - F

Locale: Central Texas
Re: Re: "Eyelet tool?" on 03/20/2011 16:30:31 MDT Print View

consider sewing on small loops of grossgrain ribbon. Stronger and lighter than eyelets.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: "Eyelet tool?" on 03/20/2011 18:18:19 MDT Print View

My experience with those very small eyelets has not been good. The metal tends to split as it curls, and any string going through gets abraded very quickly by the sharp edges.
Larger eyelets are much better,and tape loops are also good.

Cheers

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Re: Re: "Eyelet tool?" on 03/20/2011 18:35:43 MDT Print View

Tiny eyelets on the ULA Ohm. About half of them are less then ideal and do tend to catch the cord. Mirroring what Roger haas stated. :(

Nathan Baker
(Slvravn) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: "Eyelet tool?" on 03/21/2011 06:54:06 MDT Print View

Roger - If only you had posted a bit sooner. I tried to add the eyelets this weekend and found them to split and peel just like you said. That was a little frustrating to say the least....

Vick - Good idea. I have to redo the bag anyway so the next version I will try the grosgrain loops on the next version