November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
My first major foray into the MYOG world
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mat Tallman
(wehtaM) - F

Locale: Midwest
My first major foray into the MYOG world on 03/15/2011 17:44:46 MDT Print View

Go big or go home right?

Most people make a few stuff sacks, maybe a tarp, I figured I'd jump in head-first on a summer quilt, following the excellent writeup by Jamie Shortt.

Fabric is 0.9 oz black DWR ripstop from OWFINC, and the down came from Thru-hiker. Final finished weight is 14.3 oz, roughly 7 oz of 900 fill. Max shoulder girth is right around 52 inches, footbox circumference is right around 41 inches. I wanted to err on the side of too much quilt, as I'm just getting into the whole quilt thing.

To the pics...

Quilt 1
Top view

Sewn-in footbox, the idea of having a hole in the footbox, as with a drawcord design, didn't thrill me, so I went with more of a sleeping bag style footbox.

Underside of quilt, again, sewn rather than velcro.

It's tough to tell in this pic, but I used a very short stitch length (1.8 was the setting on my machine) and the smallest needle I could find locally. The result is very tight construction that appears that it will hold down leakage at bay very nicely.

First impressions are that it might be a tad underfilled, especially towards the top. I do still have a solid 2+ ounces of down to work with though, if I decide it needs some additional help in that department.

The initial construction, cutting the material, sewing the shell, marking/sewing the baffles was much easier than I was expecting. The actual filling process (shopvac method) was much more difficult/tedious than expected. Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. As I've heard people say, everyone else will think it looks a lot nicer than I do, and I think they're right, but I'm confident it will work pretty nicely for my it just needs to warm up to the point that I can consistently use this thing!

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
looks good on 03/15/2011 18:45:50 MDT Print View

stitches look consistent and even

todd h
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: SE
Re: My first major foray into the MYOG world on 03/15/2011 20:12:50 MDT Print View

You're both brave and talented! Great looking quilt.

Andrew Schriner
(lettheguydance) - F

nice quilt on 03/16/2011 10:33:56 MDT Print View

Great work! Way to jump in the deep end for your first project. Looks like you've got some skills!

Mat Tallman
(wehtaM) - F

thanks on 03/16/2011 18:21:44 MDT Print View

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Anyone know of any patterns (other than the SMD meteor pattern) or writeups for making a bivy?

I feel like this is a logical next step, as it seems pretty simple and I'm looking to jump head-first into the tarp game. I like the meteor for its simplicity, but feel like it could use a bit more protection around the head area...I like the amount of netting it has for openness, views, etc. Are there other options?

Andrew Schriner
(lettheguydance) - F

bivy patterns on 03/16/2011 19:09:20 MDT Print View

check out these:,sleeping%20bag-cart.htm#Tent/Sleeping%20Bag%20Patterns

I haven't made either - just knew they were out there.

Michael Richey

Locale: Southern Utah
bivy sack and quilt on 03/16/2011 20:12:57 MDT Print View

My first MYOG was a three season quilt that was baffled. I've slept in it down to to 20 degrees F. I then made a rainshed bivy sack. the pattern was pretty good, takes a little effort to get what they mean, but after a little thought I was able to figure it out. I oversized mine to fit a DAM pad and my winter -20 bag. It came in at 14.9 oz including a full head/shoulders bug netting. I don't recommend using epic material, it locks in the moisture at anything lower than about 40 degrees F.

Jamie Shortt
(jshortt) - MLife

Locale: North Carolina
re: My first major foray into the MYOG world on 03/16/2011 20:21:51 MDT Print View

Mat, The quilt looks great and nice job with the mods! Seeing someone make one just made my day and its a day that needed some help. Thanks for sharing.

If you PM me I will email you the layout for my bivy. I have only shared it with one other person since it is not tested. I have not had the time to do a full write up so it's only one page showing the dimensions of all the pieces I used. Pics are on my website. It might get you thinking of how to make one.

Mat Tallman
(wehtaM) - F

Re: re: My first major foray into the MYOG world on 03/16/2011 21:57:40 MDT Print View

Thanks Jamie, I sent you a PM about the bivy, thanks again for the great write-up on the quilt.

I think I might try to go to greater lengths to document my subsequent MYOG attempts to create similar write-ups. I probably never would have jumped into the job without the detailed instructions, seems only logical to PIF and do a write-up or two of my own.

Perhaps a cat tarp and bivy write-up are in my future...