Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
My first major foray into the MYOG world
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mat Tallman
(wehtaM) - F

Locale: Midwest
My first major foray into the MYOG world on 03/15/2011 17:44:46 MDT Print View

Go big or go home right?

Most people make a few stuff sacks, maybe a tarp, I figured I'd jump in head-first on a summer quilt, following the excellent writeup by Jamie Shortt.

Fabric is 0.9 oz black DWR ripstop from OWFINC, and the down came from Thru-hiker. Final finished weight is 14.3 oz, roughly 7 oz of 900 fill. Max shoulder girth is right around 52 inches, footbox circumference is right around 41 inches. I wanted to err on the side of too much quilt, as I'm just getting into the whole quilt thing.

To the pics...

Quilt 1
Top view

footbox
Sewn-in footbox, the idea of having a hole in the footbox, as with a drawcord design, didn't thrill me, so I went with more of a sleeping bag style footbox.

underside
Underside of quilt, again, sewn rather than velcro.

stitching
It's tough to tell in this pic, but I used a very short stitch length (1.8 was the setting on my machine) and the smallest needle I could find locally. The result is very tight construction that appears that it will hold down leakage at bay very nicely.

First impressions are that it might be a tad underfilled, especially towards the top. I do still have a solid 2+ ounces of down to work with though, if I decide it needs some additional help in that department.

The initial construction, cutting the material, sewing the shell, marking/sewing the baffles was much easier than I was expecting. The actual filling process (shopvac method) was much more difficult/tedious than expected. Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. As I've heard people say, everyone else will think it looks a lot nicer than I do, and I think they're right, but I'm confident it will work pretty nicely for my needs...now it just needs to warm up to the point that I can consistently use this thing!

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
looks good on 03/15/2011 18:45:50 MDT Print View

stitches look consistent and even

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: My first major foray into the MYOG world on 03/15/2011 20:12:50 MDT Print View

You're both brave and talented! Great looking quilt.

Andrew Schriner
(lettheguydance) - F

nice quilt on 03/16/2011 10:33:56 MDT Print View

Great work! Way to jump in the deep end for your first project. Looks like you've got some skills!

Mat Tallman
(wehtaM) - F

thanks on 03/16/2011 18:21:44 MDT Print View

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Anyone know of any patterns (other than the SMD meteor pattern) or writeups for making a bivy?

I feel like this is a logical next step, as it seems pretty simple and I'm looking to jump head-first into the tarp game. I like the meteor for its simplicity, but feel like it could use a bit more protection around the head area...I like the amount of netting it has for openness, views, etc. Are there other options?

Andrew Schriner
(lettheguydance) - F

bivy patterns on 03/16/2011 19:09:20 MDT Print View

check out these:
http://www.questoutfitters.com/patterns-tent,sleeping%20bag-cart.htm#Tent/Sleeping%20Bag%20Patterns

http://www.therainshed.com/patternpages/RSpatternPages_/RS180bivy.htm

I haven't made either - just knew they were out there.

Michael Richey
(beaverboymike) - M

Locale: Southern Utah
bivy sack and quilt on 03/16/2011 20:12:57 MDT Print View

My first MYOG was a three season quilt that was baffled. I've slept in it down to to 20 degrees F. I then made a rainshed bivy sack. the pattern was pretty good, takes a little effort to get what they mean, but after a little thought I was able to figure it out. I oversized mine to fit a DAM pad and my winter -20 bag. It came in at 14.9 oz including a full head/shoulders bug netting. I don't recommend using epic material, it locks in the moisture at anything lower than about 40 degrees F.

Jamie Shortt
(jshortt) - MLife

Locale: North Carolina
re: My first major foray into the MYOG world on 03/16/2011 20:21:51 MDT Print View

Mat, The quilt looks great and nice job with the mods! Seeing someone make one just made my day and its a day that needed some help. Thanks for sharing.

If you PM me I will email you the layout for my bivy. I have only shared it with one other person since it is not tested. I have not had the time to do a full write up so it's only one page showing the dimensions of all the pieces I used. Pics are on my website. It might get you thinking of how to make one.

Congrats!
Jamie

Mat Tallman
(wehtaM) - F

Re: re: My first major foray into the MYOG world on 03/16/2011 21:57:40 MDT Print View

Thanks Jamie, I sent you a PM about the bivy, thanks again for the great write-up on the quilt.

I think I might try to go to greater lengths to document my subsequent MYOG attempts to create similar write-ups. I probably never would have jumped into the job without the detailed instructions, seems only logical to PIF and do a write-up or two of my own.

Perhaps a cat tarp and bivy write-up are in my future...